6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Block to Oil Filter Housing Routing? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51585)

Mulana May 7th, 2023 05:44 PM

Block to Oil Filter Housing Routing?

1 Attachment(s)
It's a beautiful, sunny day in Oregon!
Question: I am putting my 432 back together, and I thought I would remember how the oil lines from the block to the oil filter housing went, but after three years in the machinist shop, I do not. The block uses an oil pump type governor, but I will not be using the governor type carburetor. There are two through-block fittings, three 1/8" NPT threaded holes on top of the filter housing, and two very large fittings for the oil cooler. I vaguely remember one of the three fittings on top of the housing is plugged. Please help me figure this out. If I did the post correctly, there should be a photo of the assembly below (or somewhere).:signthankspin:

Thanks, Jim.

Funky61 May 7th, 2023 08:23 PM

Re: Block to Oil Filter Housing Routing?

1 Attachment(s)
I have this old photo from a 401M and its all I have. I also looked through some manuals and could not find any diagrams. Hope it jars more bits of memory.

Mulana May 8th, 2023 06:00 AM

Funky61: Thanks for your quick reply. I do see a couple of plugs on one side. I think it's a different filter housing since it does not have the large fittings for the oil cooler. I wish I had taken a photo or made a drawing of my setup before disassembly. Oh, well.

Prowbar May 8th, 2023 02:00 PM

On my '62 478, one of the block ports (utmost rear) is used for the governor line. The other port is blocked off with a plug.
No oil cooler or other ports are present on the oil filter. I switched to the spin-on type, which only has an oil pressure sender port.

Are you planning to run an oil cooler?

Mulana May 9th, 2023 03:51 AM

I figure I might as well, but the lines are really large... I don't know if I will be able find a cooler with big enough lines. Based upon what you are saying, I could probably plug off both hardline ports at the governor if I am using a regular carburetor. If one of the block ports is for the governor line, what is the other one for... a psi gauge?

Thanks for your reply.

Prowbar May 9th, 2023 08:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what I think the ports are for. On my 478 I believe they fed the air compressor from the 1/8 NPT port before the right cylinder bank, but I bought the engine in parts. I think the rear ports are for accessory purposes.

Don't think an oil cooler would be needed in a pickup with such a big engine.

Mulana May 10th, 2023 06:12 AM

Yes, that makes sense. The timing cover has provisions for a large air compressor unit.
I don't need the oil cooler, but it could be "cool".
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it a bunch.