6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Oil Filter or lack of ? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50382)

Quigley July 28th, 2018 02:10 AM

Oil Filter or lack of ?

1 Attachment(s)
Just went to change the oil on my 62 with a 305D and discovered that it did not have an oil filter. Where the oil filter is on my other V6s is not even machined out of the block. All there is there is a thin plate with the pressure sender in it.I never heard of such a thing. Is this common or weird? :helpsign: Dave

Funky61 July 28th, 2018 04:43 AM

Re: Oil Filter or lack of ?

I'd say yes that's weird, and never heard of that before.

George Bongert July 28th, 2018 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quigley (Post 69472)
Just went to change the oil on my 62 with a 305D and discovered that it did not have an oil filter. Where the oil filter is on my other V6s is not even machined out of the block. All there is there is a thin plate with the pressure sender in it.I never heard of such a thing. Is this common or weird? :helpsign: Dave

Greetings, Quigley!

Definitely weird. I personally have never heard of a GMC V-6 without an oil filter, but anything is possible. Older GM I6 engines came without oil filters, but kits were available to equip them with an external oil filter unit. Can you provide a better picture of the location where the Oil Pressure sending unit is located? I could be wrong, but there might be, or should be such a thing as removing the thin metal plate that you describe, and replacing it with an oil filter "adapter" from another "parts" V-6.

Ed Snyder July 28th, 2018 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quigley (Post 69472)

Strangely enough, oil filters were an option on the early V6s. Most trucks were equipped with that option though. They eventually became standard equipment -- not sure exactly when.

AZKen July 28th, 2018 08:08 PM

Well the way you describe it, it sounds like it's not machined for a filter?? Hope not. Makes no sense if they were an option. Has to be machined to accept a filter. Maybe you mean a plate, that if taken off, will have all the threaded holes/oil feed holes for a filter. Anyway, you need to clean the pump screen, drain oil and put on a filter, post haste.

Quigley July 28th, 2018 10:36 PM

Looks like the bolt holes are there for Filter houseing. I am going to wash the motor off and I will try to post some better pictures after that. Truck has 85000 miles on it so I guess it didn't hurt anything.I would think most contamanants would end up in the bottom of the pan. Probably wouldn't hurt to add provisions for a filter anybody got an extra spin on set up? Definitely the first pressurized oiling system I have seen without a filter. :ahhhh:Dave

Quigley July 29th, 2018 06:14 PM

I sprayed the engine with two cans of Gunk engine Brite and took it to our local car wash, the burn't on oil & grease laughed at that attempt, going to try a real steam cleaner next, might have to use hammer& chisel. New pictures are not any better than the first one. Looks like a filter assembly would bolt on. Kind of amazing the engine has 85000 miles on it and is healthy without any filter. I guess I will keep an eye out for a filter assembly,but for right now just going to drive it, runs great. :signthankspin:Dave

TJ's GMC July 30th, 2018 04:58 AM

The spare 305D I have does not have an external oil filter either.

jbgroby July 30th, 2018 12:55 PM

Quigley,

I sent you a pm.

Jake

LEWISMATKIN August 7th, 2018 03:07 PM

in my GMC parts illustration book this plate is shown. In the early '60's, oil filters were still optional, and I guess that dealers would make more money by not ordering filter asm.'s on their new trucks, which IMHO is dumber than a box of rocks in the middle of a river with the lid off and holes in the bottom!!!