6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Transmissions and Rear Ends (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Transmission cross member ?? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50807)

tbucketnut March 4th, 2020 08:11 PM

Transmission cross member ??

Working on my 64 1000 305, sm420.

Will be removing the sm for some new bearings and synchros in the future, as well as new clutch disc, pressure plate and throw out. Doing a little pre inspection and see that the trans crossmember is riveted to the frame rails. To me it looks like there is not enough room to move the trans far enough back to clear the clutch without the rear of the trans contacting the crossmember. Have any of you had to drill the rivets and remove the crossmember to do a trans R&R?

AZKen March 4th, 2020 09:03 PM

Re: Transmission cross member ??

Steve:
I removed a 1963 305 and sm420 from a riveted cross member style frame. They would not come out together. I believe we got the trans out by moving it back and sideways. Removing the rivets would be a good way but very difficult access for tools. Some cross members are bolted from the factory. We may have had the motor out when removing trans back/sideways and down thru the gap.

If you run into an impossible situation, there are good nuclear options.

BillT March 5th, 2020 12:40 AM

I changed the Clutch on my '64 C-30 (should be the same or similar) and had no problem. Just take off the Hump Cover and you should have plenty enough room.

Edit: Now that I think of it I also change the Clutch in a '63 GMC 3/4 Ton once. There again, no problem.

tbucketnut March 5th, 2020 12:52 AM

Thank you sir(s)
Much appreciate the responses.

AZKen March 5th, 2020 01:22 AM

Bill T; "you should have plenty enough room." Plenty enough room for what?

LEWISMATKIN March 5th, 2020 03:02 AM

there is no crossmember to remove--transmission hangs on bell housing. Simply remove floor pan, then driveshaft(with attached hanger bearing), parking/emergency brake cable(if underdash type like 1000 series), then 4 3/4" bolts. Grab transmission by the shift lever and work out away from the bell housing and lower to the floor. After setting the transmission on the floor, remove the gearshift retainer, take out the gearshift lever and the lever for the parking/emergency brake lever asm., and slide out from under vehicle. I hope this is of some assistance in this matter.

tbucketnut March 5th, 2020 03:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the reply Lewis, I understand there isnt a trans cross member I should of said the cross plate that retains the parking brake bell crank, it is riveted to the frame rails and only a couple inches rearward of the sm420. Doesnt look like I can move the tranny back far enough to get the input shaft past the clutch disc.

BillT March 5th, 2020 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 72194)
Bill T; "you should have plenty enough room." Plenty enough room for what?

Plenty enough room to change the Clutch, Pressure Plate, etc.

BillT March 5th, 2020 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbucketnut (Post 72200)
Thanks for the reply Lewis, I understand there isnt a trans cross member I should of said the cross plate that retains the parking brake bell crank, it is riveted to the frame rails and only a couple inches rearward of the sm420. Doesnt look like I can move the tranny back far enough to get the input shaft past the clutch disc.

It's been a while, but you may have to loosen or take out the rear motor mount bolts and raise up the back of the engine a little, if necessary. It's been about 35 years since I last changed one that had a 4-Speed in a '60-'66, lol.

I also seem to remember just letting the tip of the pilot shaft rest on the edge of the bell, if you don't need to take the trans out. I mentioned "plenty enough room". There is plenty enough to get the job done without a whole lot of trouble.

tbucketnut March 5th, 2020 01:10 PM

Thanks Bill, I was looking at the raising of the back of the motor last night, that will do it for sure, Thank you for your help.