6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   weak hood springs (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48416)

Pops October 9th, 2014 04:12 AM

weak hood springs

what is the best aftermarket hood spring set for my 66 gmc? mine look new or restored but will not support the hood. also, are chevy and gmc hood springs identical (seems they would be)? hope someone can share a positive experience /vendor.
Thanks in advance.
Pops

tdeming October 9th, 2014 02:57 PM

Re: weak hood springs

I have the same problem with my 1960 pickup. I got some replacement springs from LMC but they don't hold the hood up either. Has anyone found shorter springs or helper springs?

Pops October 20th, 2014 12:50 AM

tdeming, it looks like this may take awhile. I wonder if there is a good repop for springs. I often wonder if all vendors get their parts parts from the same source. As such, LMC, Brothers, etc are all carry the same thing made by the same manufacturer.
Please keep me (and others) informed if you figure something out. Ill do same.:headscratch:

GMCDAC October 20th, 2014 01:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, I kinda stay out of these type conversations since I don't currently own a 60-66 GMC but about all I can recommend is checking out local junkyards, and open the hoods on junk ones. These pics are a about a year and a half old but it looks like some old springs may still be OK. These trucks are probably crushed by now and I probably couldn't have bought these parts affordably enough to re-sell anyway.

DAC

Clarke October 22nd, 2014 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pops (Post 54944)
what is the best aftermarket hood spring set for my 66 gmc? mine look new or restored but will not support the hood. also, are chevy and gmc hood springs identical (seems they would be)? hope someone can share a positive experience /vendor.
Thanks in advance.
Pops

I bought a new set from Bowtie Bits in Wichita, KS and they work fine. That's where I bought most of my repro stuff. Jeff has a lot of stuff on his website. His prices are very reasonable too.

http://www.bowtiebits.com/

Good luck.

AZKen October 22nd, 2014 09:42 PM

Something like hood springs are probably all made by the same Chinese company. As such, they change over time. They don't understand types of steel makes a difference in the heat treat/tempering process and may just use what wire (or old ship steel) they get in from Indonesia or India. Therefore you may run into a batch from one vendor that is good and another vendor has bad; and back and forth. The vendor does not know ,or intentionally buy, bad springs. If you buy springs that are made for your truck and they don't hold the hood up, send them back. It can help a little to "tighten" the hinge joints with a hammer, but that's mostly for the wiggle factor. The weight is still the same on the springs. I suppose finding some at a wrecking yard that hold a hood up is a good idea if cheap. Do the old springs match the new one's? Wire diameter, length..?

BarryGMC October 22nd, 2014 09:58 PM

OK I don't want to sound dumb but why are you guys replacing hood springs? I have never replaced one yet in 30 years of owning 60-66 trucks.

AZKen October 22nd, 2014 10:06 PM

I forgot to mention, the required broom handle needs to be 37.82918 inches long. Duplicolor 1605 ford red.

tdeming October 23rd, 2014 12:48 AM

My stock springs don't hold the hood up any more, and the Chinese ones I got from LMC don't hold it up either. The manual talks about adjusting the hinges if the hood is to hard to close, and I tried to adjust them the other way but no help. I was thinking of trying to find a shop that can cut off a few turns but haven't any luck. I made a hood rod from some steel rod and connected to the radiator shroud for now.

Pops October 23rd, 2014 03:08 AM

Hi Barry. I did not change the springs - came that way. I did get a broom stick though.I have read more than once that weak spring are out there. As suggested, prob made out of country without correct strength. Still hoping I can get a recommendation. They might be better today. Mine are a few years old; maybe older.