6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Toro Flow Diesel Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   478 toroflow flywheel (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50451)

panningbros October 8th, 2018 06:39 PM

478 toroflow flywheel

I just pulled a 478 diesel out of a New Idea 705 Uni-harvester. These did not use a clutch. Just has a splined drive disc bolted onto the flywheel. Does anybody know if this flywheel will accept a truck pressure plate and clutch disc?
The flywheel has 12 holes at 3/8" dia where the disc bolted onto. The bolts are approx 14-1/8" CC across the middle. Thanks !

panningbros October 15th, 2018 05:06 PM

Re: 478 toroflow flywheel

This is my 1st reply and I thought I'd get some sort of reply. Can I get an acknowledgement that this is going out? Thanks!

Ed Snyder October 15th, 2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panningbros (Post 69980)
This is my 1st reply and I thought I'd get some sort of reply. Can I get an acknowledgement that this is going out? Thanks!

Your posts are definitely going out. Unfortunately, I suspect most forum members have little to no expertise in your application. If Marti Sacks sees your post, he might be able to answer for the rest of us. Be patient!

bigblockv6 October 16th, 2018 03:12 AM

A photo of the face of the flywheel may be a clue for some of us.

massey478 October 16th, 2018 12:38 PM

Good Morning Guys! I have been seeing the post but my problem with an answer is I have two Toro-Flows but both are not out of the units to look at the flywheel. One is in a truck and the other in a Uni. I do have a 401 out of a Uni but I am hesitant to comment from looking at it at the risk something might be different from your diesel.
My thoughts would be that I would first look to see if the pilot bearing needed for the transmission shaft can be inserted. I would then try to find if someone had a pressure plate of the type you want to use to measure the bolt pattern and see if it matches your flywheel. I will take a look at the 401 today or tomorrow to see if I think it will adapt. I am not sure I can get to the back of it right now without lifting it out of its place but I will try. My Massey 1100 with the 478 gas in it is in front of it. The tractor needs a new battery which I intend to get today because wood cutting season is here and I need it for the 20,000 winch on the back for skidding trees. Then I can move it out of the way of the 401. I know the drive coupler is still attached to it. I can then try to find a pressure plate that will work. Some 401 engines I have had the dual disc clutch assembly on them which is entirely different from a single. I will reply as soon as I can.

panningbros October 17th, 2018 02:19 PM

Thanks for the responses. This is a winter project for me so I am not in a desperate hurry for this. We have to finish harvest first. I will try and post a picture of the flywheel face sometime. Thanks! Dave