6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Thanks Members (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50247)

Dan63GMC December 31st, 2017 11:20 PM

Thanks Members

I just bought a 1963 GMC 3/4 Ton with a 305 E V6. Everything is original except the split rims were replaced in the 80's. Reading the forums, there is so much I don't know and don't know where to begin. I wish I would of paid more attention to my Dad in my high school years with him continually working on old cars/trucks. I appreciate the conversation and am determined to learn and work on my 63. Just from the forum, I want to keep the 305 with the plain valve covers which is cool. Thanks for the posts

Jeannie January 1st, 2018 02:53 AM

Re: Thanks Members

Hi Dan!

:welcome:

So glad you've decided to keep the 305. They are impressive works of engineering, moreso because they were designed without computers and before man first stepped on the moon.

If you get the time we would all love to see some pictures of your new ride. This also helps if you find you need help describing a problem in the future.

Have a great evening,

-Jeannie

6066 GMC Club

Ed Snyder January 1st, 2018 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan63GMC (Post 68472)
I just bought a 1963 GMC 3/4 Ton with a 305 E V6. I want to keep the 305 with the plain valve covers which is cool. Thanks for the posts

Welcome to the forum, Dan. I'm sure I speak for most of our fellow members when I say I'm glad you're planning on keeping the V6. Way too many of the GMCs from the 60s have transplanted Chevy power under their hoods.

When you said you have "plain" valve covers, did you mean to say "plaid"?

George Bongert January 1st, 2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan63GMC (Post 68472)
I just bought a 1963 GMC 3/4 Ton with a 305 E V6. Everything is original except the split rims were replaced in the 80's. Reading the forums, there is so much I don't know and don't know where to begin. I wish I would of paid more attention to my Dad in my high school years with him continually working on old cars/trucks. I appreciate the conversation and am determined to learn and work on my 63. Just from the forum, I want to keep the 305 with the plain valve covers which is cool. Thanks for the posts

Greetings Dan, and Happy New Year to all Club Members!

Glad you're keeping the 305 V-6. As was stated. far too many of these wonderful old GMC Trucks have wound up with Chevy 350 transplants. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with a Chevy 350 engine, in my opinion, they just don't belong, or have any place being in a 60 to 66 GMC Truck! Also, it's a good thing that your split rims were replaced with later style rims. Split rims were notoriously dangerous to work on, and caused many injuries, and even fatalities because of improper tire installations and handling. Congratulations on your aquisition of your truck! They're getting harder to find, and they are truly a Gem among trucks!:thumbsup:

1965GMCK1502 January 2nd, 2018 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Bongert (Post 68477)
Greetings Dan, and Happy New Year to all Club Members!

Glad you're keeping the 305 V-6. As was stated. far too many of these wonderful old GMC Trucks have wound up with Chevy 350 transplants. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with a Chevy 350 engine, in my opinion, they just don't belong, or have any place being in a 60 to 66 GMC Truck! Also, it's a good thing that your split rims were replaced with later style rims. Split rims were notoriously dangerous to work on, and caused many injuries, and even fatalities because of improper tire installations and handling. Congratulations on your aquisition of your truck! They're getting harder to find, and they are truly a Gem among trucks!:thumbsup:

Happy New Year all. For what it’s worth, the 305 from Vintage Iron Works is for sale on EBay... $2,750.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/GMC-305E-V6-M...4AAOSwq4VaSFh4

TJ's GMC January 2nd, 2018 05:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the forum! Glad you've decided to keep the v6. They are a dying breed and it's good to see more people realize their potential. Plus they look awesome all spruced up. Have loads of fun with the truck and please post some pictures. :ok:

Dan63GMC January 7th, 2018 02:28 PM

Yes, plaid not plain. Didn't look at it good enough! Mentioning to guys at work who are car guys, surprisely, they have never heard of the 305 V6. When they look it up, they amazed.