6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   305E questions (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48360)

AZKen September 7th, 2014 09:16 PM

305E questions

I didn't receive my 1960 manual yet. Thought I would run the engine on my engine stand eventually. BUT I now see that the starter motor attaches to the bell housing. Bummer. All I can think of right now is attach to stand at tranny holes? Will that work? what does everyone do and will the clutch be ok without tranny spline to center it, will it wobble or will springs hold it. Am I thinking about this right? ALSO: are their more bell housing bolts at bottom , took off four on top outside, can't see under there but feel one on each side almost hitting flywheel? Are they the last two? Haven't looked at the motor much till now, so discovering all this. I just want to clean it , fix freeze plugs, check a few things and start it. A lot easier with a Chevy V8. Starter bolts to block.:thumbsup: I'm trying to like this V6 engine, but it's weight, lack of parts and now no way to attach to stand without a huge cantilever is causing trepidation (not sure what that means).

bozzhogg September 8th, 2014 06:35 PM

Re: 305E questions

Mr.Darleen the bottom bolts that your looking for are six that go behind the fly wheel. If you already have the flywheel on you will need to take that back off to get those bolts on then put the flywheel back on. I hope this helps you out. Ross

AZKen September 8th, 2014 07:34 PM

I have not taken anything off the motor yet, trying to get the bell housing off. We are all flooded out today. Now I have to wait for mud to dry. Trying to get this motor inside my shop on a stand. I think from what I understand, I need to leave bell housing on, mount the motor on the bell housing tranny holes, take off clutch and then I can start motor. thanks to David L and Bozz.

FetchMeAPepsi September 8th, 2014 08:29 PM

I dont know if you know it but the clutch plate and flywheel will take your arm off. That's 9 billion pounds of detroit steel running toward gravity. they didnt make anything halfway :lolflag:

I thought I broke my finger trying to hold mine up when I took it out. Turned out I just sprained it pretty good. Swelled up like a toad with a toothache! Just sayin, watch out! :)

David R Leifheit September 8th, 2014 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozzhogg (Post 54578)
Mr.Darleen the bottom bolts that your looking for are six that go behind the fly wheel. If you already have the flywheel on you will need to take that back off to get those bolts on then put the flywheel back on. I hope this helps you out. Ross

6 behind the flywheel?
I only remember 2, at the bottom, that are actually behind the flywheel. The others should all be external. hm.

AZKen September 9th, 2014 03:15 AM

I only see/feel two more hidden one's. That would make 6 total.