6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What did you do for your GMC today? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50551)

FetchMeAPepsi February 6th, 2019 05:45 PM

What did you do for your GMC today?

I'll start. Today I ran all the gas out of Cecilia and left her to sit dry for a bit. I plan to pull out the new sending unit I put in and try different resistors on the wire to see if I can get it to read right when it's empty.

For some reason, and I know I bought the right one, but for some reason it still shows just shy of 1/4 of a tank when it's empty. This is the reason AAA loves me so much. I run out of gas all the time!

I figure a few days ought to do it. Also, I'm thinking about taking up cigars. Random thoughts...

jagarra February 6th, 2019 07:03 PM

Re: What did you do for your GMC today?

I have just tweaked( bend, readjust, reshape ) the rod a little so the float went down further at the lowest position. I thought about it more , since you are reading 1/4 tank when empty, you may have to bend it so the float is higher. You're trying to match the end of the travel to the float close to hitting the bottom of the tank.

OdieTN February 7th, 2019 02:43 AM

Today I did a little reading about using lead substitutes, walked a couple circles around the truck, rubbed my hand on it the knocking some peeling paint off, went and looked at new bed wood that is Stacked in the corner In the house (which momma thinks is really cool sitting in the house). And felt sad for letting it sit in the rain. Gotta get her back in the garage ASAP!

ronn February 7th, 2019 04:42 AM

Ordering a new gas tank and sending unit. Also prepping parts list so i can turn over the engine soon first time in 7yrs!

..as for cigars, maybe when i am working on something that doesnt involve gasoline! ;-)

TJ's GMC February 7th, 2019 06:20 AM

Been missing mine. :(

jbgroby February 7th, 2019 12:58 PM

Fetch, Have you considered bending the arm downward a bit? Cigars are good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 70564)
I'll start. Today I ran all the gas out of Cecilia and left her to sit dry for a bit. I plan to pull out the new sending unit I put in and try different resistors on the wire to see if I can get it to read right when it's empty.

For some reason, and I know I bought the right one, but for some reason it still shows just shy of 1/4 of a tank when it's empty. This is the reason AAA loves me so much. I run out of gas all the time!

I figure a few days ought to do it. Also, I'm thinking about taking up cigars. Random thoughts...

jbgroby February 7th, 2019 01:04 PM

Had to deal with the police with a missing persons report that my truck called in, I have not walked in the garage in a week........;)

FetchMeAPepsi February 8th, 2019 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 70568)
Ordering a new gas tank and sending unit. Also prepping parts list so i can turn over the engine soon first time in 7yrs!

..as for cigars, maybe when i am working on something that doesnt involve gasoline! ;-)

Haha! Seven years, that's going to feel great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 70569)
Been missing mine. :(

Where is it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 70570)
Fetch, Have you considered bending the arm downward a bit? Cigars are good.

It's 1/4" from the bottom. I cut my old tank apart to measure it out perfect. I don't know what's wrong with the little sucker. What cigars do you like best?

jdnelson February 12th, 2019 09:44 AM

Cold start without plugging in, 13 below zero. Took my grandson out for a ride in the new snow. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d354e1390e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jagarra February 12th, 2019 08:07 PM

Since you have the sending unit out, hook it up to the wires going to gauge and see how it reacts as you move it through it's range. You mentioned you ordered a new sending unit, does the ohms reading between the sending units match?

FetchMeAPepsi February 18th, 2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagarra (Post 70582)
Since you have the sending unit out, hook it up to the wires going to gauge and see how it reacts as you move it through it's range. You mentioned you ordered a new sending unit, does the ohms reading between the sending units match?

I can't tell. i sent the old one to the trash heap when the new one came in. :(
It's so freaking cold outside today I didn't do anything with her, but try the key. I guess with her being down so much I need to put a tender on the battery. She was drt. (dead right there).

So I ordered a new Pulsetech Extreme Charger that will sit in a box out by Cecilia and get plugged in every time I park her...when I remember to do it.

According to a ton of videos and reviews online it's the best desulfater (battery repair-er) made so we'll see. I'm sure as much as she sits she's got plenty of sulphation going on.

Once it warms up a bit more I'll pull the sender out and run it up and down to see where it shows up on the gauge. i guess there's also the possibility that my gauge is off.

jbgroby February 24th, 2019 02:07 PM

Striped down, cleaned up and mounted the new wheel cylinders to the front. In preparation for the upgrade on the '63 hubs I received from another member. I'm changing the hoses, wheel cylinders, brake shoes and springs, hubs and drums. It was a good Saturday.

WE7X February 25th, 2019 05:14 PM

I have not had one out of a P/U for many years, ( Mine are HD industrial aftermarket tanks on the RM7500 chassis, but as I recall there are two small tabs that the float arm bump up against at the upper and lower limits of the travel.
With the sender out of the tank, it should be possible to move the arm through the range of travel, to be sure you are getting the full resistance of the expected range ( 0 to 30 ohms; or 15 to 90 ohms) as specified for the correct sender.
If you are getting the correct range of ohms readings then the gauge may be the problem, but usually it is the sender that causes trouble.
Tank senders that have sat unused for a long time, can sometimes develop an open circuit. I saw one case many years ago, where a sender was 'dead' between about 1/4 and 1/2 tank. The gauge would work normally down to about a half tank, then suddenly go to 'E' for a while, then return to reading correctly for the last 1/4 tank.
It was a bit disconcerting when you suddenly saw it registering empty; and had to mentally stop and think if it was a true reading or just the dead spot.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA.
1970 RM-7500

Robert B. March 8th, 2019 03:16 AM

Drove mine today around town here. Moved my wife’s urology clinic from one bldg to another down on the S. side of the city. Love driving the old ‘63. W/ a 511 front and rear end im not going anywhere too quickly[emoji23]. I agree w/ our previous commentator regarding cigars. Might I recommend a 57 gauge Alec Bradley Vice Press - they’re meaningful and they perfectly compliment our early ‘60’s GMC’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbgroby March 18th, 2019 01:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went to pick up funiture and what-knots for the wife from her moms house, nice 75 mile round trip streach of the wheels.......Brakes stop much better.

ilvracn April 11th, 2019 04:28 PM

started my 66 sunday, choked it and she popped right off, had to spread some gravel in front of garage, did some work to the driveway last fall. i think i'll taker her for a drive this weekend, if weather is good.:thumbsup:

FetchMeAPepsi April 11th, 2019 09:50 PM

I put my tailgate back on for the first time in probably 6 years

https://windypix.com/?dm=9F0X.jpg

GMCNUT April 17th, 2019 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After driving the 63 over 90 miles one way to the Coker Tire show in Chattanooga TN a week or two back where she purred like a kitten all the way up and back, I have decided my next piddling projects will be to install replacement inside sunvisors and an NOS choke cable I found on ebay which will complete the set of NOS dash knobs - headlight, wiper and cigar knobs were already NOS.

FetchMeAPepsi April 18th, 2019 12:16 AM

I drove all the way down to the middle of Garville today to drop my clutch off at a rebuild shop. I'm so happy I kept it. My thinking is that the 11" clutch from a Big truck I installed may be the reason I can't get in 2nd gear now. If that's not it, at least I have a OEM clutch to put back in!

POWERSTROKE April 19th, 2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WE7X (Post 70620)
Tank senders that have sat unused for a long time, can sometimes develop an open circuit. I saw one case many years ago, where a sender was 'dead' between about 1/4 and 1/2 tank. The gauge would work normally down to about a half tank, then suddenly go to 'E' for a while, then return to reading correctly for the last 1/4 tank.
It was a bit disconcerting when you suddenly saw it registering empty; and had to mentally stop and think if it was a true reading or just the dead spot.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA.
1970 RM-7500

I had something similar on an F-150 with dual tanks. Except it went from a quarter tank to empty. I always used that tank first, ran till the engine sputtered and switched to the full tank. Never did try to fix it. Did the same think on my diesel pickup too a couple times, would slow from 65-70 to 40-45 before it would get fuel again. But it was so consistent on mpg I could predict the number of miles to put on each tank and have maybe a gallon or less fuel in the tank. Truck had a 20 gallon and 24 gallon tank, book said they were 16 and 19. Had 800 mile range from both tanks, 24x18.5= 814 miles. Ran truck 10,000 miles one summer and averaged just over 20 mpg.

ilvracn April 22nd, 2019 01:50 AM

i drove the 66 to adair ia. for pizza sat night. zips pizza, best pizza in iowa. it's about 25 miles, but we took the long way, put on about 75 miles. nice to have the wind blowing in the windows, who needs a radio.

FetchMeAPepsi April 22nd, 2019 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvracn (Post 70887)
who needs a radio.

Amen Brother!

POWERSTROKE April 22nd, 2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvracn (Post 70887)
i drove the 66 to adair ia. for pizza sat night. zips pizza, best pizza in iowa. it's about 25 miles, but we took the long way, put on about 75 miles. nice to have the wind blowing in the windows, who needs a radio.

A pizza run is almost better than a beer run, maybe is better. With the V6 burbling away I'd have had the windows open if it was 20 degrees F out!

When I straight piped my 7.3L PSD in my F-250, it whistled so nice from the turbo I'd run with the passenger side window open about 3 inches even in below zero weather. The heater in the newer Ford's were good enough to keep your warm. Drove 70 miles home from work one Friday night with a shattered driver's door window. Had an inch or two of snow, stuck the weather stripping to the glass. Hit the power window down button and the window shattered like it was shot with a 30-06!

Quigley April 24th, 2019 11:27 PM

On my 62 I pulled the motor back out completely disassembled it and took the bare block,crank,rods and pistons,front hub and flywheel to my machine shop. :ahhhh:Dave

Rockdriller April 25th, 2019 04:20 PM

I open the hood. And then I said I do good work, when I do it.

FetchMeAPepsi April 26th, 2019 12:39 AM

I opened the hood too, but just disconnected the battery tender and turned her over to make sure she still wanted to start. No problem!
I'm still tied up to other projects, but soon she'll get her transmission pulled and I'll try to figure out why the heck 2nd gear isn't working.

jerrspud April 30th, 2019 12:07 AM

got stuck.. and ordered a 500 cfm holley :rowdybeer:

fourhundredorbust December 6th, 2019 05:54 AM

What I did for my truck today

Hi all,

I've seen this on other forums as a way to help inspire/motivate each other to keep "betterin" our rigs. Maybe it'll catch on here, maybe not but in any case I'll start off.

Today I installed a new door stopper for the driver's door. The original one was broke and the door was being stopped by the upper fender/cowl piece if one wasn't careful (of course I was...but that p.o!) and it has dented the door. To replace the stopper I had to take out the vent wing window and the window and mechanism. It seemed a lot of effort for something that is just 2 screws but now I know how to do it when the time comes to replace all those worn out seals and felts! It is sure nice not to have to worrying about further damage on the door.

tbucketnut December 6th, 2019 01:42 PM

Re: What I did for my truck today

Hello back, I have seen this thread on other forums and it is one of the largest and longest running too. Great idea on your part. I finished up a restoration on my 53 Chev 3100 in 2018 and my entire premise was to get out in the garage everyday for at least 1/2 hour. Even if you only go out there to look around and think, it was a great opportunity to keep things going if not to make lists for future ordering of parts and supplies. Stalled restoration projects are caused because for lack of a better term recent familiarity. In other words, you forgot what you were doing, or what you needed to buy to keep it going or where you put something. Threads like this keep the interest and tends to keep people moving towards completion.
So with that said, I removed the left front tire and wheel of my 64 GMC and bird-dogged the slow leak to a leaky valve stem. Took it up to the tire store and had them dismount and replace the stem, and get this a big bonus-- it cost me nothing.
BTW, I'm just up the street from you, what are you working on?

Lets keep this going.

Steve

Jeannie December 6th, 2019 02:01 PM

Threads merged. :thumbsup:

fourhundredorbust December 7th, 2019 02:52 AM

Sorry for a repeat thread but thanks for merging....would this be a candidate thread for a sticky??

mwoodard December 19th, 2019 12:03 AM

I've got an original (but neglected) 1968 GMC 2500 Fleetside Long Bed with a 351E V6 and TH400. I'm the second owner and it currently has 92,000 miles on it.

Over 2019 I completed the following tasks:

1.) rebuilt wood bed
2.) replaced fuel pump
3.) replaced battery
4.) installed new hitch receiver and trailer wiring
5.) replaced cracked thermostat housing
6.) flushed and replaced coolant (32 quarts!)
7.) rebuilt power steering pump
8.) replaced oil and filter
9.) got all of the head lights working properly (new floor switch)

I'm currently replacing the turn signal/hazard switch (the old switch disintegrated) and I'm also diagnosing my lack of running lights.

I love the challenge of bringing this 51 year old truck back to a useful state, it's somehow therapeutic. Many of my neighbors here in the greater Seattle don't quite understand my quest, regardless I soldier on ...

Marty

Ed Snyder December 27th, 2019 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwoodard (Post 71762)
I've got an original (but neglected) 1968 GMC 2500 Fleetside Long Bed with a 351E V6 and TH400. I'm the second owner and it currently has 92,000 miles on it.

Over 2019 I completed the following tasks:

1.) rebuilt wood bed
2.) replaced fuel pump
3.) replaced battery
4.) installed new hitch receiver and trailer wiring
5.) replaced cracked thermostat housing
6.) flushed and replaced coolant (32 quarts!)
7.) rebuilt power steering pump
8.) replaced oil and filter
9.) got all of the head lights working properly (new floor switch)

I'm currently replacing the turn signal/hazard switch (the old switch disintegrated) and I'm also diagnosing my lack of running lights.

I love the challenge of bringing this 51 year old truck back to a useful state, it's somehow therapeutic. Many of my neighbors here in the greater Seattle don't quite understand my quest, regardless I soldier on ...

Marty

Keep up the good work, Marty. We'd love to see photos of your truck. Not many '68s left the factory with V6s. Too many people thought V8s had to be better than V6s. And the GM beancounters thought the V6 was too expensive to produce, thus condemning it to a premature demise.

tbucketnut December 27th, 2019 03:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pretty solid workload there Marty.
Hopefully soon will be able to join you with some more progress on my GMC. I have to first finish assembling an engine for a friends 51 3100, then drop it in and get it so it can travel, then my shop will have some space in it.
I did finish going through a 67 sm420 though recently, all new bearings and a few NOS parts too, that might find its way into my 64, it is the first year for internal backup switch.
Steve

jbgroby December 27th, 2019 03:42 PM

Am working on disconnecting the propellar shaft so we can drop the trans.

Robert B. December 28th, 2019 04:45 AM

Ole, love it - keep truckin’ brother!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fourhundredorbust January 6th, 2020 11:22 PM

Yesterday I fixed both my turn signals and horn button. The turn signal 'ring' inside the steering column was broke so got a new one of those and while in there polished up the horn contacts as the horn rarely worked. Also installed some LED brake/turn signals in the back. They are much brighter so I think I'll get some for the front too.

rusty66 January 7th, 2020 07:03 PM

I managed to take the cover off, check the oil and coolant, fill the
tires and drive 10 miles. The truck did ok.

joedirt January 7th, 2020 08:22 PM

been busy with stuff, new carpet kit, sent seat out for new cover, installing a new msd pro billet ignition system this weekend

fourhundredorbust April 9th, 2020 07:41 PM

Ordered a bed kit and took the bed off. While off noticed the carrier bearing was shot so I replaced that (what a pain not having a press). Then I noticed the trailing arm bushings were shot so replaced those (also a pain!). Then I noticed the pinion seal was leaking so replaced that (fortunately not a pain). Now cleaning up rear frame, and painting and THEN I'll finally start the bed replacement project.