6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

FetchMeAPepsi February 28th, 2014 03:11 PM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 52272)
Hey, Fetch: You make me feel young again, and when my kids were the size of yours. Those younguns' will talk about spending that time with you and "Cec" when they have kids their age now. I bet the time you and they spent together will make memories that will last a lifetime. Plus what they learn from the experience will amaze you in their everyday life later on.
You have a great project going there in more ways than fixin' a truck.
Thanks for letting us ride along, and keep up the good work.
It's a fun ride for all of us.

I'm glad we can spark those memories for you Coyote. One of the things I say when I'm gathering my "crew" to go fiddle with Cecilia is "C'mon munchkins! Lets go make some memories and see if Daddy looses an arm today!" :lolflag:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 52332)
Hi Fetch, I'm glad you and the "Powder Puff" are giving "Max" a workout! It is great that your weather is slowly improving so you guys can work outside again. Below zero at night again here and the high Saturday is supposed to be a whopping -3*!

I really dig that back bumper! I am going to try to build a similar one for my '55.

Keep the updates coming!---DAC

Man I don't know how you guys do it in -? degree weather! I keep sayin once it hits 60 degrees I freeze up, and some guys think I'm kidding, but its true! BRRR!!!! :ahhhh: Then again, when it's 120 outside with 90% humidity I'm still havin fun turning wrenches or messing with the yard. Heat don't really bother me at all, but that cold...yikes!

My bumper is a real cow catcher, isn't it? I wish it had fold down fins though. Getting the bed over those is very tough. I worry how I'll get it put on after it's painted etc. without tearing things up. :headscratch: Other than that I really like it too. It's tough as nails. Never have to worry about it breaking on me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyduncan (Post 52341)
Well said. I am basically reading this because my gramps had a 65...

Pics or it didn't happen, Tommy! :evil:

FetchMeAPepsi February 28th, 2014 03:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
We had a semi-nice day the other day so we sneaked out and fired up ol' max again. I've had a 305E with ps pump and something else on it under a tarp on my trailer for almost a year now. I need the trailer so I needed to get the engine off.

It's over gravel though so I had to hook a come-along on ol' Max to get him to move backwards after hooking the motor on. Even then it dug some nice furrows.

Oh, and if any of you guys get a Max (or an Arnold, hey Foley!:thumbsup: ) make sure you push these little pins on all the way. We lost one moving Max over the trailer because I just pushed them on to the first click.

Afterward we all played with some old steel toys I bought on Ebay. Notice that truck the Powder puff is filling with rocks? Yeah, it's a baby Cecilia! :yeeuh::yeeuh::yeeuh:

WDShaffer February 28th, 2014 03:32 PM

By the Time you get to painting, you will have figured out how to make nice bolt on bumper brackets so you can remove that bumper.

FetchMeAPepsi February 28th, 2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDShaffer (Post 52346)
By the Time you get to painting, you will have figured out how to make nice bolt on bumper brackets so you can remove that bumper.

That behemoth is welded on now but maybe I can drill through the welded on spots and the frame and bolt it together, then cut the welds with a grinder. I'm sure it will fall off and crush me just for kicks. You only live once, right!:thumbsup:

FetchMeAPepsi March 21st, 2014 05:52 AM

Hey there guys and gals!

Have ya ever had a problem? I mean a real problem? One that wouldn't solve itself? Sure you have! And Ol' Marty McSales is here to help!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Have ya ever been out with your sweety. Maybe you're on a date, or maybe you just picked her up from a bus stop. Who knows? So ya look over at her sittin there in your brand new GMC truck and you think, Hmm...If the door opens, she's gonna run away!

How are ya gonna fix that? :ahhhh:

Ol' Marty knows how! And I'm gonna show you too!

Don't ask how much, just take a look at what we have here for you today. It's a brand new Sweety Seat Anti-Run Device! Patent Pending :woo:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

You might look at this beeeauuuutiful piece of high-tech equipment and say to yourself, "Marty, how can I afford such a device? It must be thousands of dollars?"
Not to fear, mi amigo! Ol' Marty's your friend! :tiphat: Don't worry about the cost, worry about how much you're going to save by not having to pick up a new sweety at the next bus stop, train station, or truck stop!

I know, I know, you're thinkin even if you get one you still have to worry about installation, right? Nope! Our trained installers will come out and install these kidnap-I mean safety restraining devices right in your driveway!

So you wanna do it yourself? That's OK too! You can $ave $ave $ave!

You'll need a 5/8" socket, a 11/16" wrench, and our handy dandy safety device.

Step one, push your seat as far forward as you can and move the seatback forward. Then locate the bolt to your existing seatbelt in the middle.

Step two, grab your 11/16" wrench and crawl under your truck. Find the underneath nut for the bolt you found in the cab. It looks like this.

Put the wrench on it and push it to the side. Not this side, the other side!

Go back up top and use your 5/8" socket on the bolt running through your seatbelt. Take it all the way out and let your washers, nut, etc. fall down underneath the truck.

So you broke your lock washer like this one too? Well that's OK! Your new Sweety Saver comes with a new lockwasher! Didn't I tell ya ol' Marty had your back? :buttkick:

Now take your new device and mate the hole up with your old device like this.

Then put the bolt back through the holes

Put the washer, lockwasher, and nut back on, hold it with the wrench propped against the bottom of the cab, and tighten the bolt back down.

Then repeat the process for the other side of the buckle and that's it! You're all ready to go without worrying about your sweety escaping, er... I mean being prematurely released!

Stay tuned and see our latest sweety acquisition device, the Sweety Head Petter!

Also available in Women's models!

GMCDAC March 22nd, 2014 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 52348)
That behemoth is welded on now but maybe I can drill through the welded on spots and the frame and bolt it together, then cut the welds with a grinder. I'm sure it will fall off and crush me just for kicks. You only live once, right!:thumbsup:

Hey all you gotta do is hook Max to the behemoth and it won't crush you! Then you can spend a fortune and send it to me!-LOL! Would you want some pics of bolt on brackets? The bumper I am going to convert to look more like yours came off a '64 Chevy pickup so frame rail configuration may be the same.

That's a cool and entertaining writeup on the seat belt install. Thanks. I should probably put some in the '55 but haven't gotten to that yet. It actually has some old military surplus aircraft belts in it with a 1959 date printed on them but the floor mounts aren't reinforced well enough to use where they are bolted to the cab floor.

Later---DAC

Vernski March 22nd, 2014 10:14 AM

I always get a chuckle reading your posts Pepsi but I really enjoy your munchkin helper she will have those memory's all her life and that's just so cool to think about. My Daughter grew up at a time when it was not possible
to do that because her mom was very negative about my hobby. You are a lucky man Pepsi and I envy that with pride. Also wanted to thank you for the help with my mac and the up side down picture you had the right answer...Vernski:thumbsup:

Culver Adams March 22nd, 2014 06:22 PM

Hello Fetch,

When snow fell the day after other-rides-and-projects wood splitter (forgot her given name, though you may have called her what I call all my welding projects, "Daily Grind") got coat number eight of hand rubbed candy apple lacquer and you headed to the wood lot, I figured we wouldn't hear much of Cecilia for a week or two while Fetch and the youngsters gathered Kansas wood for fireside stories. Then, after a couple of months into the winter of winters, rumors began circulating: Fetch was spending every daylight hour trying to keep his pipes from freezing. Whew, it's a relief that you and the Powder Puff found time to dig out from the snowdrifts, create Ol' Marty McSales, and do your piece on, "Sweety Seat Anti-Run Device". I've read it three times and am still laughing out loud. Thank you--for your past writing/illustrating, for this piece, and for the alertness jolt I get anticipating your next creation. (If I didn't say I've learned a ton of truck stuff and been inspired, I should have.)

Regards,
Culver Adams
1961 GMC K1500
Minneapolis, MN

FetchMeAPepsi March 23rd, 2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 52558)
Hey all you gotta do is hook Max to the behemoth and it won't crush you! Then you can spend a fortune and send it to me!-LOL! Would you want some pics of bolt on brackets? The bumper I am going to convert to look more like yours came off a '64 Chevy pickup so frame rail configuration may be the same.

That's a cool and entertaining writeup on the seat belt install. Thanks. I should probably put some in the '55 but haven't gotten to that yet. It actually has some old military surplus aircraft belts in it with a 1959 date printed on them but the floor mounts aren't reinforced well enough to use where they are bolted to the cab floor.

Later---DAC

YES!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Pics of the brackets would help a bunch! No rush, I'm not really excited about tearing the bumper off, but if it does give me trouble I might need to.

1959 seatbelts, :jaw-dropping: I bet those are awesome! Neat thing about seatbelts is they last forever. You might be able to put a steel plate on the bottom, kinda like a brace bar to get your seatbelts to stick safely. I've seen steel flat bars that would blend really well if they were shaped on the ends and welded on thickly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 52561)
I always get a chuckle reading your posts Pepsi but I really enjoy your munchkin helper she will have those memory's all her life and that's just so cool to think about. My Daughter grew up at a time when it was not possible
to do that because her mom was very negative about my hobby. You are a lucky man Pepsi and I envy that with pride. Also wanted to thank you for the help with my mac and the up side down picture you had the right answer...Vernski:thumbsup:

Yay we got the pics fixed! Sorry about the wife problems. I've been there and it ain't easy. I did it little by little and even now The Blonde gets irritated from time to time. "Honey, that's about enough of the other woman out there" she says lol. I think it's just part of being married. Hills and valleys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culver Adams (Post 52568)
Hello Fetch,

When snow fell the day after other-rides-and-projects wood splitter (forgot her given name, though you may have called her what I call all my welding projects, "Daily Grind") got coat number eight of hand rubbed candy apple lacquer and you headed to the wood lot, I figured we wouldn't hear much of Cecilia for a week or two while Fetch and the youngsters gathered Kansas wood for fireside stories. Then, after a couple of months into the winter of winters, rumors began circulating: Fetch was spending every daylight hour trying to keep his pipes from freezing. Whew, it's a relief that you and the Powder Puff found time to dig out from the snowdrifts, create Ol' Marty McSales, and do your piece on, "Sweety Seat Anti-Run Device". I've read it three times and am still laughing out loud. Thank you--for your past writing/illustrating, for this piece, and for the alertness jolt I get anticipating your next creation. (If I didn't say I've learned a ton of truck stuff and been inspired, I should have.)

Regards,
Culver Adams
1961 GMC K1500
Minneapolis, MN

Thanks Culver I'm happy to entertain a true troubadour! I kinda tried something different with Marty McSales, but it was fun :woo:

We call the woodsplitter the "log dog" now. I can't remember if it's always had that name, but that's the one that stuck. She got used again a couple of weeks ago splitting some cottonwood that the neighbors donated to her feeding dish. Still working great :cutwood: :thumbsup:

Thanks for reading :tiphat:

:takethat::takethat::takethat::takethat:
This is kinda unrelated but I uploaded a video for you guys havin trouble uploading pictures. It might make things easier if you can see it happening instead of just reading someone telling you about it.

!

(jeannie if you cant tell im really diggin the new smileys :teehee:)

aphaynes March 23rd, 2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 49550)
There are 8 bolts holding the bed to the frame, plus two holding it to the bumper in my case.

Wow, I have done a lot of searching and this is the first spot that has said what holds the bed to the frame. In my case it is not obvious because, as you can see...

...many moons ago someone covered the wood bed with steel. Problem is that in this pick you can see the passenger side of the bed is sunk down a bit...

Thought it might be bent or rusted supports where it mounts to the frame. As it turns out, that wood that was covered way back when is now gone in most places. So the bolts that went through the wood to, I assume, the cross sills now have a bit of play in them. :jaw-dropping: I can grab the bed and lift in into place where it is straight and the bolt slack is gone. Guess I am going to have to cut out that steel bed where it was spot welded in so I can find all these bolts. All of the original bed hardware is still under there, though it is all shot. Guess a bed kit is in order. Anyway, all that is to say thank you for your detailed process; which helped me find what most would consider obvious. :postgood: :tiphat: