6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Vented valve cover or no? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50757)

tbucketnut December 16th, 2019 07:45 PM

Vented valve cover or no?

On my 64 with a 305E engine, this is the non california engine so there is no pcv but there is a crankcase fresh air filter on the driver's rear of the engine and the cylinder heads have the air valves that suck the emissions into the combustion chambers. My engine had a breather cap on the passenger side valve cover and I can smell blow by gases. I'm thinking this needs to be a closed system correct? I replaced the breather cap with a non vented oil fill cap on it and will see how it goes. Any comments will be appreciated because I have never seen this type of emission system.
Steve

AZKen December 17th, 2019 12:08 AM

Re: Vented valve cover or no?

Per our/your 6060GMCCLUB website. At top banner: Jolly's page/engine.....scroll down for explanation of crankcase venting. Answer is: no valve cover vent. Fresh air enters into the filter can, thru filter and etc. (on the filter can style motors)

LEWISMATKIN December 17th, 2019 02:13 AM

and under each valve cover is a pcv valve screwed into an intake runner in the cylinder head.

tbucketnut December 17th, 2019 05:20 AM

Good info, is there a replacement number for these pcvs? Or can they be removed and cleaned with solvent?

Thanks,
Steve

AZKen December 17th, 2019 06:18 PM

Yes, they SHOULD be removed and cleaned with carb cleaner.

tbucketnut December 17th, 2019 10:20 PM

Thank you Ken, much appreciated.

AZKen December 17th, 2019 11:43 PM

Glad to help.

LEWISMATKIN December 21st, 2019 09:02 PM

IF they don't clean up, the ac/delco p/n is cv623c. you may be able to pick up a pair of them on ebay.

jbgroby December 22nd, 2019 02:03 PM

On my '60 I too have a valve cover breather, but also have the filter tube behind the rdriver's side head. Do I need to remove the valve cover mushroom vented cap and put a closed cap too?

AZKen December 22nd, 2019 06:00 PM

Don't think it makes any meaningful difference one way or another (to the motor). The Jolly page advertisement can be a guide or not. The can, in back, has it's own "intake". GMC called their system PCV. The advent of the vented valve cover was to release "crankcase pressures" said to cause oiling issues. So engineers decided to have it vent out thru there. They added baffling inside the "breather" to prevent oil from coming out. All kinds of set ups, pre smog/post smog.
Looks like stock for your motor is non vented covers.