6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Transmissions and Rear Ends (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Leak... Tips? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49773)

Jmclendon December 13th, 2016 10:21 PM

Re: Leak... Tips?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 65277)
Easiest way I found to top that trans off was to take the stick out and fill it from the top.

Stick? I see no stick?

I can't see any way to get at the filler plug hole from the top?

Jmclendon December 13th, 2016 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 65270)
Old trucks will have leaks. That seems like a small one. Keeps the roads oiled.

I wish the QLD government saw it your way LOL. It irritates me to no end..... The first car I ever owned was a complete death trap. Questionable brakes, a leaking fuel line, the whole 9 yards (I actually miss that car).

Getting it inspected in North Carolina was a simple as having a mechanic going "Yep, turn signal works and the engine is there."

Over here? If there's ANY leaks it won't pass roadworthy. Realistically, that'll only ever come up if I want to sell it while it's registered (I'm never selling). But, that gives you some indication of how much of a nanny state it is over here.

Obviously there's good parts..... however they do tend to go overboard with the legislation.

FetchMeAPepsi December 14th, 2016 12:12 AM

There's no stick to take out of the top.

The only way to repair that little paper filter is to take the trans out and bite the bullet. You can do it "poor man style" though. It's not heavy or anything weird. You'll need that socket set we talked about before and a car jack would help.
If you're going to pull it though, I'd say go ahead and get a rebuild kit ($100) and breathe new life back into it while you're in there.

On the other hand if this is your only ride I'd say just top it off from time to time and drive it unless you can do without it for a week.

TJ's GMC December 14th, 2016 01:27 AM

Is that a 3 speed or a 4 speed? I can't quite tell from the pics. Anyhow, I was assuming a 4 speed. That's why I said you could take the stick(shifter) out of the top and fill from there, but if it's a 3 speed on the column never mind.

Jmclendon December 14th, 2016 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 65310)
Is that a 3 speed or a 4 speed? I can't quite tell from the pics. Anyhow, I was assuming a 4 speed. That's why I said you could take the stick(shifter) out of the top and fill from there, but if it's a 3 speed on the column never mind.

3 speed on the column. An excellent theft deterrent system I find lol.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

GMCDAC December 14th, 2016 04:17 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I don't know if you can round one up or even need to for that matter but i built this lube pump from two broken ones. they were for 55 gallon drums but shortening them up for a 5 gallon bucket was easy. I used an old mechanic creeper stool for the cart. Just hang the pipe in the fill hole and slowly pump until lube starts running out.

DAC

Jmclendon December 14th, 2016 04:52 AM

That is wicked creative. Anything that keeps me from crawling around on the ground is a plus!

Jmclendon December 14th, 2016 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 65306)
There's no stick to take out of the top.

On the other hand if this is your only ride I'd say just top it off from time to time and drive it unless you can do without it for a week.

What would you use to top it up with? The manual just says "multi purpose gear oil." But, I've got another old Chevy manual from the same year that's a bit more specific (SAE 90). However, I'm finding that most of the newer stuff is loaded with detergents etc....

FetchMeAPepsi December 15th, 2016 12:03 AM

Dac that looks like something that should be in my garage! :goodjob:

JM, regular 90 weight gear oil from WalMart is fine, but I like #58304 Red Line 75W90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil because it's what Jay Leno puts in all his old transmissions to help them shift better and last longer.

Gear oil is sometimes like motor oil and football teams. Everyone has a favorite and there's not a ton of difference one way or the other.

bobdylan December 15th, 2016 12:18 AM

I would stick with 90 weight gear oil. A lot of high detergent multi weight oils can make leaks worse.