6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1964 GMC K1001 Wide side SWB (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51377)

Unicorn July 6th, 2022 07:35 PM

1964 GMC K1001 Wide side SWB

4 Attachment(s)
Greetings, this is my 1st post on the site. Thanks for letting me join.

I picked up a project last year and I have been trolling around trying to figure out what I want to do with it. After figuring out that there weren't very many built; I am intrigued with the production numbers and wondering just how many are still on the road. With that said I am planning on restoring it back to original, if I can find all the parts.

Here are a few pics of the UNICORN I have, and I would love to know if you have a SWB wide side K1001.

Prowbar July 6th, 2022 09:28 PM

Re: 1964 GMC K1001 Wide side SWB

A grinder and paint makes me the welder I aint... just kidding. Good luck on saving that rare beast! What transmission does it have?

Unicorn July 7th, 2022 03:21 AM

Thanks. It’s a 4 speed. On the floor😎

Ed Snyder July 7th, 2022 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unicorn (Post 75883)
Greetings, this is my 1st post on the site. Thanks for letting me join.

I picked up a project last year and I have been trolling around trying to figure out what I want to do with it. After figuring out that there weren't very many built; I am intrigued with the production numbers and wondering just how many are still on the road. With that said I am planning on restoring it back to original, if I can find all the parts.

Here are a few pics of the UNICORN I have, and I would love to know if you have a SWB wide side K1001.

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure I speak for many members here when I say I hope you keep the V6 engine in your truck, and not replace it with a Chevy V8. The topic of production numbers comes up from time to time. Unfortunately, nobody that I'm aware of has been able to find any such records. Chevy truck numbers are available, however. As a rule of thumb, Chevy outsold GMC in the '60s by about 4 or 5 to one. My wild guess would be that there are fewer than 500 K1001s left from 1964.

Keep the photos coming as you make progress with your restoration and reassembly! You've come to the right place for help in answering any questions you might have.

Unicorn July 7th, 2022 05:16 PM

Thanks for the open arms welcome.

I am planning on rebuilding the V6 if its salvageable.

I've owned several old cars and truck over the years and I currently have more projects than I can keep up with. But I have never attempted a full restoration, where I am only using original parts, and going back like it was in 64. I know some of the stuff like door seals will be re-produced, I'm not likely to use anything but original steel on the rest of the truck.
As for the production numbers, from what I could find, there were only 633 Chevys made in 1965. I would like to get a good list of trucks still alive, you know the K1001 Club.

Prowbar July 7th, 2022 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unicorn (Post 75887)

I've owned several old cars and truck over the years and I currently have more projects than I can keep up with. But I have never attempted a full restoration, where I am only using original parts, and going back like it was in 64. I know some of the stuff like door seals will be re-produced, I'm not likely to use anything but original steel on the rest of the truck.
As for the production numbers, from what I could find, there were only 633 Chevys made in 1965. I would like to get a good list of trucks still alive, you know the K1001 Club.

I give you a thumbs up by staying with original parts... I figured on my 65 GMC project that the market would be so big that the parts would all fit exactly and be of good quality... Boy was I disappointed. For example the fuel filler grommet. A new grommet, maybe half a year old and it is junk already. I always save the old OEM parts and will put that one back on. Bet it'll last 50 more years to come.

I always try to rebuild/repair the OEM parts. Sometimes you can, sometimes you cannot, unfortunately.

The OEM parts that are 50 years old are made with a quality that is a league of its own. Even the plastic on some clips is still flexible.

By the way, a welcome from me as well.

Sonic65 July 7th, 2022 05:57 PM

Welcome!

Ed Snyder July 8th, 2022 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unicorn (Post 75887)

Just be aware of the fact that many rebuild parts are either hard or impossible to find. Also, be aware that these V6 engines are nearly bulletproof as long as they're not revved much past 3200 RPM and have regular oil changes. A friend here has one with over 600,000 miles on it without an overhaul. Yours may need nothing more than a thorough internal cleaning if it's been sitting long.

Unicorn July 8th, 2022 07:37 PM

Noted, this good info to know on the RPM.