6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The seldom seen 1966 Sport Trim option - a REAL short wideside has been found! (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51457)

GMCNUT November 11th, 2022 08:21 PM

Re: The seldom seen 1966 Sport Trim option - a REAL short wideside has been found!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBray (Post 76301)
Neat truck! Certainly a bit rough, but lots there to work with. If you go with a 351E and find the stock automatic transmission adapter, flywheel, and flexplate you can use either a Pow-R-Flow (GMC Powerglide) or Turbo 400. The 400 was an option in mid-'66 so it would be correct as well. And like Ed Snyder says, probably a better choice.

BTW- did anyone notice the NAPA invoice for cylinder head work? The customer was the Los Angeles Times, they had a large fleet of V-6 powered GMC tilt cabs running on propane.

So, I do need to get some clarity on the T400 thing....in Chevrolet, the T400 was NOT available even as a special order for a C10 1/2 ton, and I would expect GMC to follow suit for all 1000 series trucks. I was thinking the T400 was a 3/4 ton -up option. Can you or Pete confirm?

GMCNUT November 11th, 2022 08:25 PM

Re: The seldom seen 1966 Sport Trim option - a REAL short wideside has been found!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 76295)
If I were you, I wouldn't bother with a Powerglide unless you have some kind of fond attachment to two speed automatics. The '66 I restored that Clyde in SC owns now came from the factory with a 351E and a three speed Turbo-Hydramatic 400 transmission. That's what you ought to put in your truck too. Clyde even added an overdrive unit (Gear Vendors maybe) behind the TH400.

So in Chevrolet the T400 was only available in 3/4 ton-up sized trucks in 66' so I would assume same for GMC - not available in a 1/2 ton. Wasn't the truck you sold Clyde a 3/4 ton?

GMCNUT November 11th, 2022 08:37 PM

[QUOTE=Funky61;76296]Here is a link previously posted by Ed from Hemmings and that link leads to the auction. The featured truck was a longbed with the Sport trim and a great video link. I’m sure you saw it GMCNUT.

yes! That was a sweet truck someone got. Wonder what happened to the intake and all those parts

lizziemeister'sV6 November 11th, 2022 11:47 PM

GMC 1/2 ton pickups were available in 1966 and later with 400 TH - I think they were actually what was called the 375 which is a 400 TH with a smaller diameter tail shaft.

Ed Snyder November 12th, 2022 01:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lizziemeister'sV6 (Post 76310)
GMC 1/2 ton pickups were available in 1966 and later with 400 TH - I think they were actually what was called the 375 which is a 400 TH with a smaller diameter tail shaft.

The attached build sheet for my old '66 (dated 6-6-66 by the way!) lists the transmission as "AT-400 TRANS".

BobBray November 12th, 2022 04:03 AM

Good question, now that you mention it all the TH400's I have seen in original '66 trucks have been C20's/C1500's. I do think TH400's were available in GMC C1000's with V6's as lizzemiester stated. I'll ask over on the 67-72 Chevy Truck Forum, someone there might know.

BobBray November 13th, 2022 10:27 PM

Consensus is the TH400 was not available the GMC 1000's (1/2 ton) in 1966.

MeganK December 8th, 2022 05:43 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Must be my lucky day....

I am brand new to the forum and have admired old trucks for as long as I can remember. I decided to by a project truck and found a 66 fleet side with the body in amazing condition. the rust behind the front wheels is the only spot where there is damage. The rest of the truck is super solid including the floorboards and other than some missing trim pieces everything is there...

What I found out today (from you) is that my interior is exactly the custom sport trim package you described. I am excited to know I lucked into a rare option but not sure what that means in terms of value and the direction i should go in restoration.

I guess the one "negative" is that the previous owner put a 500ci Cadillac Eldorado Motor and TH400 transmission.

Like I said I have only been a classic truck owner for about 3 days so I am sure I will have a ton of questions....

MeganK December 8th, 2022 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 76311)
The attached build sheet for my old '66 (dated 6-6-66 by the way!) lists the transmission as "AT-400 TRANS".

How does one go about getting a build sheet like this??????????????

Ed Snyder December 8th, 2022 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeganK (Post 76427)
Must be my lucky day....

I am brand new to the forum and have admired old trucks for as long as I can remember. I decided to by a project truck and found a 66 fleet side with the body in amazing condition. the rust behind the front wheels is the only spot where there is damage. The rest of the truck is super solid including the floorboards and other than some missing trim pieces everything is there...

What I found out today (from you) is that my interior is exactly the custom sport trim package you described. I am excited to know I lucked into a rare option but not sure what that means in terms of value and the direction i should go in restoration.

I guess the one "negative" is that the previous owner put a 500ci Cadillac Eldorado Motor and TH400 transmission.

Like I said I have only been a classic truck owner for about 3 days so I am sure I will have a ton of questions....

Congratulations on your rare find, Megan! Looks like your truck definitely has a lot of potential. We'll be interested in following along to learn what your plans are for it. You've come to the right forum to learn more about these trucks.