6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   clutch problem (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51686)

bigred1 February 7th, 2024 09:44 PM

clutch problem

when engine is running cannot get into any gear. when engine is off can move shifter into gear. 1963 gmc 1500 305ci 4 speed manual

FetchMeAPepsi February 7th, 2024 11:18 PM

Re: clutch problem

Do you have fluid in your reservoir?

bigred1 February 8th, 2024 12:25 AM

yes, had been hearing rattling noise in first and reverse gears

FetchMeAPepsi February 8th, 2024 12:53 AM

Might be a worn first gear. First and reverse are the same if I remember right. It's VERY easy to drop the transmission on these and it's not overly heavy. You might hit up one of the parts guys in the marketplace for a new first gear then start pulling the tranny. I've got a full writeup, bolt by bolt, in my build thread here.
Even if you don't need that gear, it's good to have extras on hand for later. If you do need it, it should be there by the time you're ready for it.

bigred1 February 8th, 2024 03:38 PM

thanks

Jim A February 8th, 2024 05:11 PM

Your clutch is not releasing fully. Check fluid, then have someone watch the linkage from below as you cycle the clutch (NOT running).
There is an adjustment for proper clearance (not too much, not too little) that may solve your problem.
I doubt that the problem is in the tranny.
I also wonder what technique Fetch uses to make tranny r&r easy.
I have done mine twice over fifty years and would say it is hard to get to and VERY heavy.

FetchMeAPepsi February 8th, 2024 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim A (Post 77797)
I also wonder what technique Fetch uses to make tranny r&r easy.
I have done mine twice over fifty years and would say it is hard to get to and VERY heavy.

Haha, my technique is drop the fluid, unhook the shifters, unbolt the driveshaft, unbolt the tranny and pull it backward. Tada! It's really not too heavy. It's not a sack of flour, but it's probably a big sack of dog food, just easier to get ahold of.

Mine's a SM318 though, yours might be different.

lizziemeister'sV6 February 9th, 2024 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 77798)
Haha, my technique is drop the fluid, unhook the shifters, unbolt the driveshaft, unbolt the tranny and pull it backward. Tada! It's really not too heavy. It's not a sack of flour, but it's probably a big sack of dog food, just easier to get ahold of.

Mine's a SM318 though, yours might be different.

Believe his is 4 speed - a little more "heft" would be needed. Be like a big sack of dog food with a Saint Bernard attached!

Ed Snyder February 9th, 2024 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizziemeister'sV6 (Post 77799)
Believe his is 4 speed - a little more "heft" would be needed. Be like a big sack of dog food with a Saint Bernard attached!

If you can believe the info on the internet, the three speed SM318 weighs about 65 pounds, and the four speed SM420 weighs about 135 pounds.

FetchMeAPepsi February 9th, 2024 02:52 AM

Well there's your trouble! Your transmission is 70 lbs too heavy!
:teehee::teehee: