6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Transmissions and Rear Ends (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Sm318 Transmission Plugs and Transfer case plugs (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47735)

FetchMeAPepsi August 29th, 2013 07:19 PM

Sm318 Transmission Plugs and Transfer case plugs

Does anyone know which of these plugs does what?

I ran into a real nasty problem today on the way home. When I let off the gas it skreeched like rubbing metal any time the transmission wasn't under load.
Push in the clutch = SKREEEEEEEECH!
Get off the gas to slow down = SKREEEEEEECHHH!!!

Push gas to go = Normal

I think I might have squirted water in the transfer case when I was cleaning it with a pressure washer so maybe I just need to change the fluid? If so I don't know which bolt lookin thing is which. :ahhhh:

Transfer case:

http://windypix.com/?dm=B5TQ.jpg

Tranny:

http://windypix.com/?dm=FLW0.jpg

Thanks in advance!

raycow August 30th, 2013 11:30 AM

Re: Sm318 Transmission Plugs and Transfer case plugs

The noise with the clutch pushed in worries me more than anything else. Take off the bellhousing bottom cover and have a helper start the engine and push in the clutch while you watch from underneath.

What can you see happening with the release bearing? Is it seized? Does the bearing collar try to spin in the fork? Is there anything else that doesn't look right?

Ray

FetchMeAPepsi August 30th, 2013 04:46 PM

Thanks Ray

I don't know what the bearing collar is but I found the bellhousing cover. Right next to it I found this spring lying on the crossmember. Any clue what it might go to? It's heavier than a carb spring. The rust on it makes it look kinda yellow under the camera but it's all rust.

http://windypix.com/?dm=1W1S.jpg

I got the bellhousing cover off and it looks like this, covered in grime and oil of some sort. Click any link for a bigger image:

http://windypix.com/?dm=C7D0.jpg

I'm guessing the collar is the thing this fork holds on to?

http://windypix.com/?dm=KYRO.jpg

I pushed the clutch in with a 2' long board and it moved engine direction to the front of the engine.

http://windypix.com/?dm=2NHS.jpg

It didnt seem to spin or act funny to my untrained eye. Also I didn't hear the skreeching noise either. That seems to only happen when I'm coasting in neutral or when I'm letting the engine slow the truck down while coasting.

:confused:

GMCDAC August 31st, 2013 12:34 AM

The throwout bearing is the part the fork is holding on to and the collar is that sleeve bolted to the transmission that the throwout bearing is sliding on. Besides the oil leak everything looks pretty good and your pressure plate, clutch disc and flywheel have no oil on them so that is good! Does the oily stuff smell like gear lube? The part of the throwout bearing you can see won't spin unless the bearing is seized up in any position. The bearing part of it you cant see here pushes the pressure plate arms to disengage the clutch when you push the pedal.

That spring looks like a clutch return spring. Your clutch pedal should return clear up including a little pedal free play. If there is no free play the pedal is riding lightly on the throwout bearing causing it to spin all the time, and it should only spin when the pedal starts getting pressed past the freeplay. Usually the spring attaches to the fork outside the bell housing and then will hook to the frame somewhere.

Hopefully one of the V-6 gurus will post a pic of the clutch return spring position for you. I can only show you one on an I-6.

Later---DAC

GMCDAC August 31st, 2013 01:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Just for reference, here are pics of a clutch fork and throwout bearing from a 1964 Chevy pickup. They probably aren't identical but they do the same job as what you are showing.

Later---DAC

raycow August 31st, 2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 49950)
I don't know what the bearing collar is but I found the bellhousing cover. Right next to it I found this spring lying on the crossmember. Any clue what it might go to? It's heavier than a carb spring. The rust on it makes it look kinda yellow under the camera but it's all rust.

I got the bellhousing cover off and it looks like this, covered in grime and oil of some sort. Click any link for a bigger image:

I'm guessing the collar is the thing this fork holds on to?

I pushed the clutch in with a 2' long board and it moved engine direction to the front of the engine.

It didnt seem to spin or act funny to my untrained eye. Also I didn't hear the skreeching noise either. That seems to only happen when I'm coasting in neutral or when I'm letting the engine slow the truck down while coasting.

I agree on the fork return spring. This is supposed to pull the bearing away from the pressure plate fingers so it doesn't spin when your foot is off the pedal.
Am I the only one here who thinks the inner end of the clutch fork is too far forward in both the engaged and disengaged positions?

Ray

GMCDAC September 1st, 2013 04:38 PM

Yeah, Ray, I agree with that angle, but didnt want to jump to conclusions since I can only look at an I 6 truck. Too short of a throwout bearing?

Later---DAC

BarryGMC September 1st, 2013 06:40 PM

http://https://thumbp7-bf1.mail.yaho...=1&w=800&h=800. Here is a picture of the clutch return spring spring there is a hole in the frame and at the outside edge of the arm. The gmc and Chevy are the same.

BarryGMC September 1st, 2013 06:53 PM

Well that did not work! Let me see if I can attach it again. The fact that it only happens under a coasting load while moving always leads me to the intermediate shaft in the Rockwell and spicer 18 cases. There is usually a grumbly or rough gear sound under power that is usually assumed to be normal as there is a lot of noise from the engine , and the rest of the drivetrain. Drain the oil and look to see if there is any metal in it.

BarryGMC September 1st, 2013 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/attachm...1&d=1378058731

raycow September 2nd, 2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 49979)
Yeah, Ray, I agree with that angle, but didnt want to jump to conclusions since I can only look at an I 6 truck. Too short of a throwout bearing?

That's what I was wondering, or maybe a too-short ballstud. They are made in different lengths for Chevys, but I don't know if that's also true for GMC.

Ray

FetchMeAPepsi September 2nd, 2013 02:35 PM

Thanks guys. That clutch return spring, does anyone have a pic of where it hooks on to the fork? I didn't see any other piece like shown in Barry's pic. I guess I can bend a coathanger and make it fit on the spring. Could it be that the spring being off is causing a screeching?

BarryGMC September 2nd, 2013 02:49 PM

It's on the end right by the rod. You could go get a longer spring. That's why I showed you the length. Maybe the sqeek is from this but you should be able to recreate it when not moving.

FetchMeAPepsi September 3rd, 2013 02:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok guys I put the spring on it like this but it still made the squealy noise. I did find out that it's not making the noise in the transfer case so it's got to be tranny related. I drained it today and prepared to remove it.

I've got the linkage off and I figured out how to get the shaft between the transmission and the Rockwell out. The transmission though, does it bolt to the flywheel or just those two bolts on the crossmember?

BarryGMC September 3rd, 2013 03:19 AM

Before you take it out put the t case in neutral and try to recreate the sounds. Take a 3/8 dowel about two feet long. Have someone run the truck and while they run it listen to the trans all over . You use the dowel as a listening stick. Put one end in your ear and the other end at the point you want to listen to. Now don't laugh you will be amazed at what you hear. You can practice on your valve train . Move along the valve covers. Listen and compare areas. Every rig I buy that runs gets the stick treatment. I have two one is about two feet and the other is about 5. I actually jack up the driving axels and run it and listen to everything, front to back. You would be amazed with a little practice how you can identify a failing or failed bearing and locate it.

GMCDAC September 3rd, 2013 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 50019)
Ok guys I put the spring on it like this but it still made the squealy noise. I did find out that it's not making the noise in the transfer case so it's got to be tranny related. I drained it today and prepared to remove it.

I've got the linkage off and I figured out how to get the shaft between the transmission and the Rockwell out. The transmission though, does it bolt to the flywheel or just those two bolts on the crossmember?

Hey, Fetch, no the tranny doesn't bolt to the flywheel. The transmission input shaft pokes through the clutch disk that is between the flywheel and pressure plate. You may have to clean some grease up to see it but the transmission may have 2 bottom bolts through the bellhousing from the flywheel side into the transmission case. They may go from the outside in also, but I have never dealt with a 3 speed in one of these trucks. Then you probably will have to take out the transmission hump inside of the cab to get at the top two bolts that go through the transmission case into the bell housing. The '62 K2500 I had was a 4speed so I can't tell you exactly what to do but all standard tranny engines have a bellhousing that bolts to the engine block, then the transmission bolts to the bellhousing in some form, usually 4 bolts. The two bolts on the crossmember are the bellhousing mounts that hold up the rear of the engine and support the transmission.

Later---DAC

FetchMeAPepsi September 3rd, 2013 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 50021)
Before you take it out put the t case in neutral and try to recreate the sounds. Take a 3/8 dowel about two feet long. Have someone run the truck and while they run it listen to the trans all over . You use the dowel as a listening stick. Put one end in your ear and the other end at the point you want to listen to. Now don't laugh you will be amazed at what you hear. You can practice on your valve train . Move along the valve covers. Listen and compare areas. Every rig I buy that runs gets the stick treatment. I have two one is about two feet and the other is about 5. I actually jack up the driving axels and run it and listen to everything, front to back. You would be amazed with a little practice how you can identify a failing or failed bearing and locate it.

I thought of that too! I put it in neutral today when I was trying to narrow it down. It still made the noise even when I wasn't rolling when I pushed the clutch in. I didn't know about the stick trick though. I'll be putting that one in my bag of tricks :D

FetchMeAPepsi September 3rd, 2013 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 50022)
Hey, Fetch, no the tranny doesn't bolt to the flywheel. The transmission input shaft pokes through the clutch disk that is between the flywheel and pressure plate. You may have to clean some grease up to see it but the transmission may have 2 bottom bolts through the bellhousing from the flywheel side into the transmission case. They may go from the outside in also, but I have never dealt with a 3 speed in one of these trucks. Then you probably will have to take out the transmission hump inside of the cab to get at the top two bolts that go through the transmission case into the bell housing. The '62 K2500 I had was a 4speed so I can't tell you exactly what to do but all standard tranny engines have a bellhousing that bolts to the engine block, then the transmission bolts to the bellhousing in some form, usually 4 bolts. The two bolts on the crossmember are the bellhousing mounts that hold up the rear of the engine and support the transmission.

Later---DAC

Got it! I'll take those two out tomorrow and try to get at the other four if my time doesn't run out. Kids are out again tomorrow so I should be free. If I can get it dropped out and look at the bearings, clutch etc I'm hoping I can see something obvious that needs fixing.

FetchMeAPepsi September 7th, 2013 11:08 PM

I got the transmission off today (4 semi-easy bolts) but the bellhousing is giving me fits. :pullinghairout::pullinghairout::pullinghairout:

I got the crossmember bolts out and fought to get the other four out, but it still acts like it's not free.
i took loose the clutch piston thingy (hydraulics) too and the bottom bolt of the starter. Still not budging. Am I missing something or should I just put a jack under it and heave ho?

BarryGMC September 8th, 2013 03:54 PM

F.M.A.P. Dont pull the bell-housing. First its what supports the back of the engine. second you can fully service the clutch, through the bottom and bearing index hole.

FetchMeAPepsi September 8th, 2013 05:02 PM

Barry! Thanks for coming back. :yourock:

Ok, so the bell housing doesn't come off for this job, but how do I get the pilot bearing out? I don't wanna jam a finger in there and accidentally shove some dirt inside the engine. Does the hole go all the way into the engine parts?

I guess I can clean the bell housing up when I pull the engine for painting and do it all at once.

I fiddled around with it and got the clutch to fall out on my hand (Ow!). This is what it looked like. Is it too thin?

http://windypix.com/?dm=4OHL.jpg

BarryGMC September 8th, 2013 05:35 PM

The hole does not go into the engine. I have a small piece of 3/8 pipe with a cap on one end with a zert fitting . I filed some grooves perpendicular to the threads about 3 threads up, like a tap. I turn this into the bushing or bearing and use the grease gun pressure to force the thing out. Or you can use a slide hammer with a hook on the end and bang away.

raycow September 9th, 2013 01:29 PM

I run a 5/8"-18 tap all the way into the bushing. When the tap hits bottom I keep on turning it and the tap pulls the bushing out of the crank. If you have a bearing instead of a bushing you will have to use a slide hammer.

Ray

BarryGMC September 9th, 2013 06:12 PM

Here I made it easy for you. The 12 inch clutch found in the bigger trucks is a direct replacement for the 11 inch found in the smaller trucks and most of the 4000 series trucks. Its a New Generation clutch kit PN# 04-528 This kit us complete with disk, pressure plate, throw out bearing. roller style pilot bearing, and alignment tool. My local vendor actually has a few in stock. so for about 2 bills your good to go. BTW i did the same clutch in my 65 last year, and a chevy 12 inch in my 348 v8 420 trans 60 chevy truck a few years back. BLC

tommyduncan September 9th, 2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 50172)
Here I made it easy for you. The 12 inch clutch found in the bigger trucks is a direct replacement for the 11 inch found in the smaller trucks and most of the 4000 series trucks. Its a New Generation clutch kit PN# 04-528 This kit us complete with disk, pressure plate, throw out bearing. roller style pilot bearing, and alignment tool. My local vendor actually has a few in stock. so for about 2 bills your good to go. BTW i did the same clutch in my 65 last year, and a chevy 12 inch in my 348 v8 420 trans 60 chevy truck a few years back. BLC

:yourock:...and the 348 truck sounds cool!

FetchMeAPepsi September 10th, 2013 01:02 AM

Ordering this week! Thanks again Barry. Everything I read said they weren't sold anywhere anymore.

tommyduncan September 10th, 2013 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 50172)

I just met a guy today that has a Chevy truck with a 348... never knew there was such a thing 24 hours ago and now I've heard of two of them!

FetchMeAPepsi September 13th, 2013 07:25 PM

Well I ordered the clutch kit from the 3rd party seller on Amazon. They emailed me the next day and said, "Yes, it shipped out today. I'll have a tracking number for you soon"

Today I got an email that said "Sorry this item is not in stock and the last one was damaged so they arent making them anymore." That's great customer service, right? Lie to me first, then fess up when you get caught.:noway:

Their info is
CarPartKings
888-501-6588
Located in New York
Rating 1 star out of 5.

I should have a refund by Wednesday or Thursday so I'll start shopping again then. :(

BarryGMC September 13th, 2013 08:05 PM

What were they charging? I have one. And another ordered.

FetchMeAPepsi September 13th, 2013 10:54 PM

it ended up being 214.00 shipped. I've got one lined up for $150 now HA HA take that Car Part Queens!:yes:

BarryGMC September 14th, 2013 02:10 AM

Still wondering what was squealing?

FetchMeAPepsi September 14th, 2013 02:24 AM

yes, Im thinking it was the throwout bearing because of the shiny spots on the three fingers of the pressure plate? IDK if that's what its called. Here's a pic

http://windypix.com/?dm=QC8M.jpg

If that was it then this clutch kit will fix the problem. Is there something I should check inside the transmission?

And is it supposed to leak fluid out of the tail piece a little or is that a bad seal?

BarryGMC September 14th, 2013 04:27 AM

Dang a whole post written then splat. Dead like a bug. The clutch spins at say 2000 rpm and the bearing is at 0 when the two touch there is some slippage. This is normal and causes the polishing you see. The noise you described sounds more like a cluster gear problem. These little 3 speeds are not to robust and when they get a bit low on oil things can go haywire. Now you need to visualize the load in, float ,and deceleration load. Each makes a distinct sound. So do the problems. It's like a loose rod bearing in an engine makes most noise in the float. It rattles. Not so much under load in and out. Now this is why you always look at the oil when you drain it. A bright light is helpfull. Does it look really dark? Or is it metallic looking? And if so brassy or silver? These things tell you a lot. You need to investigate these things. Maybe look at a drawing of your trans to help visualize what is going on in there. And no this thing should not leak. If it was mine I would open her up and at least check it out.

FetchMeAPepsi September 14th, 2013 02:37 PM

It was dark, VERY dark. There were some silver bits down around the bottom, but just a little dusting. Enough to cover your finger tip with a light coating. I've seen more in a modern oil drain plug so I wasn't concerned.

To open it up I just pop off the bolts on the front and the ones on the side? I'm worried about a bunch of springs and gears flying out at me

FetchMeAPepsi September 14th, 2013 10:31 PM

I jumped the gun and opened both front portions. Nothing seemed weird to me

http://windypix.com/?dm=Y940.jpg
http://windypix.com/?dm=C0CO.jpg

The pilot bearing was discolored from heat. Do you think that's the issue? There wasn't much (if any) grease in the pocket. It took 12 fingertip fulls to fill it up during my tries to remove it.

http://windypix.com/?dm=NSWS.jpg

BarryGMC September 15th, 2013 05:20 AM

Input shaft bearing looks bad

BarryGMC September 15th, 2013 06:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the bearing should look like this

BarryGMC September 15th, 2013 06:49 AM

the input shaft gear or clutch gear or whatever you want to call it. Its the gear in the front of the trans behind the input shaft bearing. looks to be to far forward. Its been a while since I have worked on a 318 so I will tell you what I recall. Biggest problem. Input shaft bearing fails from lack of lubrication and high loading. cluster gear thrust bearings fail from high torque load. v8 and 4x4 mostly. 2nd gear problems always seem prevalent. mainshaft needle bearings cook because of no lubrication. You know what the gears usually dont look to bad. So I already see 2 problems from your pics. This is why I dont work on these any more. its easier to put a 420 in its place. Barry

FetchMeAPepsi September 15th, 2013 02:24 PM

I'll take some better pics today. I can't buy a new trans ($400-600?!?!) so I'm kinda stuck with what I have for now. Maybe I can pick up a cheap replacement trans and replace the input shaft? After I take new pics see if you still think it's bad. The rebuild kit includes front bearings if that makes a difference.

I tried to pull the flywheel too and couldn't figure out how to get to the bolts in it without removing the bellhousing (assuming the center threads I see from the back are the bolts that need removing). is there a trick to it?

tommyduncan September 15th, 2013 02:37 PM

I can't help you with the tranny but the flywheel is held on by the center bolts right in the middle of where the clutch was. They are all facing the trans so shouldn't be a problem. Turning the engine with a big socket might give you better access to them as you go.