6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What did you do for your GMC today? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50551)

tbucketnut April 10th, 2020 12:27 AM

Re: What did you do for your GMC today?

This is just too weird, you are in Battleground Im up here in Gig Harbor,
I too have bed off, the bedwood will be here on Monday, Finished my carrier bearing yesterday(had press), three new ujoints, Replaced leaky yoke seal too, all new shackle and leaf spring bushings too. We live in a parallel universe, plus we are both quarantined to home by the same governor. If you are drinking a grape soda while you are reading this, I'm buying a Ouija Board.
Steve

fourhundredorbust April 10th, 2020 06:18 PM

Ha...not drinking grape soda, and, fortunately, I'm still working outside of home due to my job.
After dealing with that carrier bearing I went out and bought a 30 ton press last night; should have bought one a long time ago but always made due with ingenuity or a big hammer. I finally got it off but that bearing was the final straw.

tbucketnut April 10th, 2020 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourhundredorbust (Post 72348)
Ha...not drinking grape soda, and, fortunately, I'm still working outside of home due to my job.
After dealing with that carrier bearing I went out and bought a 30 ton press last night; should have bought one a long time ago but always made due with ingenuity or a big hammer. I finally got it off but that bearing was the final straw.

I wish I would of bought my press 35 years ago, but at least I have been getting some really good use out of it these days. Odd how many people have came over and pressed a few bearings on and off for them. I plan on hitting the filling station in oregon later this year (summer)and pick up some stuff for my 64, if you need anything I can drop it by on the way back.
Steve

mwoodard June 13th, 2020 01:36 AM

work continues on my 1968 GMC fleetside with the 351E V6:
10.) all lights, indicators, blinkers, etc. were repaired
11.) fixed the wipers

I've been hauling quite a bit of sand and gravel lately with this old beast and it does a great job, I love the low end torque of this big displacement V6.

Robert B. June 13th, 2020 01:57 AM

I’m in the process of buffing out my original paint in an effort to preserve what I have left...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...59f46e795e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Snyder June 13th, 2020 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert B. (Post 72690)
I’m in the process of buffing out my original paint in an effort to preserve what I have left...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...59f46e795e.jpg

Interesting assortment of vehicles in the background! Looks like James Dean's Porsche on the left.

Robert B. June 13th, 2020 03:01 AM

That Spyder has the Type IV motor like the 912’s and 914’s. In fact it’s a 1.7 liter out of a 914. Not souped up by any means but still fun. My friends hangar actually, no room for aircraft though[emoji23]

Ed Snyder June 13th, 2020 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert B. (Post 72692)
That Spyder has the Type IV motor like the 912’s and 914’s. In fact it’s a 1.7 liter out of a 914. Not souped up by any means but still fun. My friends hangar actually, no room for aircraft though[emoji23]

I always liked 914s. My son used to have one. My next door neighbor has two of them. One of my son's former neighbors had three of them.

I assume your Spyder is a "tribute" car? Incidentally, my son's email address is Spydersan.

fourhundredorbust June 13th, 2020 07:02 PM

Robert B...I like your vehicle assortment! I too have a split VW...a '65 doublecab. I've been into those a long time. If only I kept my '61 15 window...
Or, I had an opportunity to purchase '65 912 15 years ago in excellent condition for $7k. I didn't have the money then but, if only I had known. Still looking for VWs and a 912.
Anyway, nice truck it is definitely my favorite color of these.

fourhundredorbust June 13th, 2020 07:04 PM

For my update...my bed replacement is almost done. All the wood is fitted and drilled I'm just trying to decide what to finish it with. I don't want to paint it as I want to see the wood grain but pretty tough to find UV resistant clears. I'm leaning towards Sikkens...anyone have any thoughts?

FetchMeAPepsi June 13th, 2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourhundredorbust (Post 72696)
For my update...my bed replacement is almost done. All the wood is fitted and drilled I'm just trying to decide what to finish it with. I don't want to paint it as I want to see the wood grain but pretty tough to find UV resistant clears. I'm leaning towards Sikkens...anyone have any thoughts?

You could do it cheaply like a trailer deck and hit it with linseed oil every spring. Keeps the nice wood grain showing and protects against the ugly of the world. takes about 15 minutes every April.

Robert B. June 15th, 2020 12:30 AM

Thanks so much, that assortment of unique and fine vehicles belong to my buddy. His Spyder has a neat story behind it as well, and yes it is a James Dean commemorative, right down to the dull toned numbers on the rear lid. He found it in the Carolina’s. He also finished buffing out my ‘63...forever grateful!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...43efed3923.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...fea9417b2b.jpg

Robert B. July 19th, 2020 12:20 AM

On a different note, in autozone today looking for a suitable 5W-30 for the ‘63, 305 V6. Realized practically all oils now are “fully synthetic” or “synthetic blend”. Curious what you guys are putting in your K1500’s out there these days?

jagarra July 19th, 2020 01:32 AM

Some of us are using Shell Rotella oil, looking for it that has zinc in it, helps protect the flat tappets. Most of the new oils are designed for newer motors with cat converters and roller tappets, so all the good stuff for older motors is not there any more.
Since then in some other cars I started using a Lucas Hot Rod classic oil from Summit racing, has a high zinc content labeled on container, designed for flat tappets motors.

Robert B. July 19th, 2020 01:36 AM

Ok, I’ll check it out, thanks so much! I understood the same thing about the importance of Zinc in the oil. Unfortunately I’ve discovered most oils don’t list their contents anymore. I’ll see if I can find the two you suggest somewhere. Thanks again!

Ed Snyder July 19th, 2020 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert B. (Post 72854)
On a different note, in autozone today looking for a suitable 5W-30 for the ‘63, 305 V6. Realized practically all oils now are “fully synthetic” or “synthetic blend”. Curious what you guys are putting in your K1500’s out there these days?

It seems like this question comes up about once a year. I've been using Amsoil products since 1974, and have always had good luck with them. Their Z-Rod oil has high zinc, and is available in 10W-30, 10W-40, and 20W-50. I use 10W-40 myself.

See https://www.amsoil.com/p/z-rod-10w-3...A#pills-home_0

ronn May 17th, 2021 04:41 AM

For the slowest build known to man, I'll be installing my brake booster and new master cyl, looking for that radiator is next. Maybe by summer's end i'll be road worthy?

FetchMeAPepsi May 17th, 2021 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 74116)
For the slowest build known to man, I'll be installing my brake booster and new master cyl, looking for that radiator is next. Maybe by summer's end i'll be road worthy?

Pshaw, all trucks are roadworthy if your hill is tall enough! About the radiator, i saw a four tube aluminum one on Ebay not too long back. They don't call it four tube though. I forget what it was they say, but it's got four hoses running along it where our original brass ones were only three tubes.

Good luck with the master cylinder and booster :thumbsup:

ilvracn June 21st, 2021 10:15 PM

dumped a little gas in carb. fired right up. drove to walmart, bought 3 boxes of freeze pops, just need to wash, check tires, ready for 4th of july parade.:grillin:

jmfurgason June 23rd, 2021 04:36 PM

I just ordered 30W Valvoline racing high zinc from Auto Zone was using 10W30 Valvoline racing conventional oil. jmf:thumbsup:

jbgroby June 30th, 2021 01:10 PM

Ron, You have NO IDEA what slow is..... took me 17 years. Truck was near finished when it went under 11' of water from Katrina and I had to start all over again - finished in 2017, originally started in January of 2000........

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 74116)

Funky61 July 2nd, 2021 12:53 AM

This was over several "Todays" that I replaced the alternator belt, upper and lower radiator hoses, fuel pump, rebuilt the Stromberg and added a cap and rotor and spark plugs and new wires for my neglected 62 Truck.

https://i.postimg.cc/5trScJXx/IMG-2496.jpg

Ed Snyder July 2nd, 2021 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky61 (Post 74265)
This was over several "Todays" that I replaced the alternator belt, upper and lower radiator hoses, fuel pump, rebuilt the Stromberg and added a cap and rotor and spark plugs and new wires for my neglected 62 Truck.

https://i.postimg.cc/5trScJXx/IMG-2496.jpg

When are you going to do an engine transplant, and install your 401, Funky?

Funky61 July 2nd, 2021 02:48 AM

Well Ed, not anytime soon. It’s waiting in the wings. I need to see if this 305D will run properly, but it “might” have overheating issues. If that be the case then I may do the swap.

fourhundredorbust February 16th, 2022 04:08 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Alright, I finally tackled my driver side rocker. Glad it is done. I already did both side lower fenders. I got some paint mixed to match to blend in the new metal when the weather gets better outside. I hope to get this out on the roads this spring/summer!

tbucketnut February 16th, 2022 12:35 PM

Four hundred, this post is timely for me, I'm literally starting on my rockers this week. Yours turned out really nice. Looks like you added the lower front of the door A pillar too. Did you also have to replace the inner cowl panel?
Where did you buy your parts from, the fit looks great?
Oops, I just studied your pictures and see the inner cowl laying there, so you did.
Steve

fourhundredorbust February 17th, 2022 02:53 PM

I got my parts from LMC truck because they had them in stock when I was buying and other places didn't. I was pleasantly surprised with the fit. They do take some fussing but overall they were very workable. Yes, I replaced the inner cowl. I was really dreading the job but once I got into it it wasn't terrible. I'm guessing it took me about 12 hours total spread out over 4 days.

Jim A March 6th, 2022 05:36 PM

What I did for my GMC:
Last summer my clutch totally stopped de-clutching after gradually getting worse over several years. It was on a trip hauling home what was supposed to be the second to last load of hay to carry my livestock over the winter after drought had pretty much killed the hay crop locally.
I've detailed that fix elsewhere here, so suffice to say it was a near thing to finishing off my fifty plus years of using the '60 1500 for literally everything trucks can be used for. No "kits" are available, so I had to piece together a complete rebuild from about five places all over the US. A few months altogether.
Along the way, we discovered that the front right brake was not working. That fix, another near finisher, is also covered elsewhere. It continued to the left side. Both were seized with solid oxidized sixty year old brake fluid.

What my GMC did for me:
After a short local run last weekend, yesterday we finished the interrupted hay hauling with a 20 mile each way trip to bring home not quite a ton. Uphill, downhill, twisty, freeway and downtown with nary a glitch.
Also with several, "Hey, nice truck" comments.

jbgroby March 7th, 2022 11:58 AM

I drove it to keep the cobwebs away....

FetchMeAPepsi March 7th, 2022 04:19 PM

I just walked out and pet on her some. Checked her battery and oil. New clutch plunger is holding brake fluid well, so that's nice. Cecilia's sitting waiting on me to find her some new 16" rims and tires. Been driving the old f*rd and missing the old girl. I might buy a cheap set of tires and just live with it for a while if I don't find them soon.

Jim A March 7th, 2022 04:33 PM

Speaking of tires, it would help my piece of mind to replace the rear 8 ply 8 x 17.5" recapped mudgrips that I put on nearly 40 years ago.
I put some nice LTs on the front maybe ten years ago, but now find a huge lack of anything like them now.
Except maybe:
https://www.stausaonline.com/tires/sta-super-transport/

I would also go with 16" rims and tires even with the small size difference.
Important to share info on this.

jagarra March 9th, 2022 04:16 PM

I ordered some STA tires to replace the 2 I did not replace when I bought the truck. The ones on there are pretty old, hard and thump really hard when I use vehicle.

Jim A March 9th, 2022 10:55 PM

Please give us what info you feel like, such as sizes, ratings, shipping etc.
Thanks

Funky61 March 10th, 2022 12:38 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I had one wheel powder-coated in Satin. It is a 3-clip 16x5”

jagarra March 10th, 2022 01:15 AM

Jim,

I ordered a 7.00x15 M/S tire to be placed on the rear. I believe they are 6 ply, I ordered them via Summit Racing for delivery to their local to me store. I can mount and balance them myself.

Robert B. March 15th, 2022 04:43 PM

Need that exact wheel for my ‘63 3/4t, in an 8 lug. Have the same dog dish hubcaps for the rear, but have yet to find matching front caps w/ hole to accommodate the front dial locking mechanism. Love that look!

jaydee March 15th, 2022 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdnelson (Post 70579)
Cold start without plugging in, 13 below zero. Took my grandson out for a ride in the new snow. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d354e1390e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mighty fine looking truck, good looking young man standing beside it, maybe a future GMC guy.

donrm October 24th, 2022 02:43 AM

Sad to say I took my 66 GMC fleetside out for a ride today.
Someone ran into my right side. I am looking for a OEM fender.
Anybody out here know where I might find a fender, much appreciated
if anyone knows or if some have good used parts please direct me that way.
Thanks Don
Westchester ohio
1966 fleetside 351 V6

ilvracn October 24th, 2022 03:41 PM

i looked on
CAR-PART.COM
found lots of fenders. search by zip code and it lists them from
nearest to you to farthest. best website for used parts out there. you have to use the dash after the word car, or you will get a different site.

jbgroby June 3rd, 2023 02:51 PM

Hopefully remounting the newly rebuilt steering gearbox. by myself, IT IS NOT A ONE MAN JOB. a floor jack with help.