6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

FetchMeAPepsi July 18th, 2014 10:48 PM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 54129)
Didn't realize you were prototyping something...now you got me all curious!! :yourock:

Hope you get back into action quickly...dang doctors. :poke:

Well don't get too excited because I dont want to disappoint, but it's coming along. The hardest part is DONE AND WORKING today. :bananadance:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foley (Post 54136)

Thank you Fetch. I'm pretty jazzed by the useability of that bigol machine. But I'm even more curious bout how do you move it along thru your back yard? Those little wheels on Ol' Max aren't zactly grass friendly.

No they arent! :lolsmack2: I folded it up and pulled it toward me so the legs would fall to the back (with a CLANG) then I spun around and let it lean against my back while I hot-footed it across the yard banging and bouncing like a cat with a can on his tail. It was pretty funny according to the peanut gallery that was watching.

Aphaynes I sent you a PM for Rusty :puterpunch:

FetchMeAPepsi September 7th, 2014 04:24 AM

<whispers> Pssst! Hey!

You guys wanna work on a "junky ol' truck"?

:iagree:

Yeah, me too :woohoowave:

Follow me! (sneaks off into the garage) :dogrun:

This is how I've felt almost all summer while I did honeydos:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

This is how I feel when I get to work on Cecilia

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

See? His face is about to explode from happiness! Or constipation. The look is interchangeable. :lolsmack2:

Today me and the Powder Puff took a break from fence building to blow off some steam. We popped on the compressor, pulled out the old sand blaster again and grabbed a bag of Black Beauty blaster media. I bought it before I knew what I was doing. It was $40.00 for every 10 lb. bag and that's too dang expensive for something that can just blow away in the wind.

The sand blaster

The blasting dust, which I just found on Ebay for $1.00 a pound. Another lesson learned :bigyikes:

Then we pulled out one of Cecilia's old steel rims. I know, I know. She needs me to peek at her engine and a bunch of other stuff, but we needed something we could handle quickly that wouldn't break the bank.

We started with an orangey rusty somebody-done-tried-to-paint-it mess with deep paint runs in places and a lot of puddling in the corners. I had a pic of that but I lose'ded it.

I blasted the wheel - whoosh! And it all went in my eyes and nose. We boogied over and put some eye protection on and tried again. Much better.
I had the Powder Puff stand out in the yard and blasted while I held my breath, then stopped to breathe, lather, rinse, repeat.

Here's most of the wheel done. The orange looking bits are the original rust and yuck.

Then we got the blower out and blew the dust and crap off of it.

A spare board under it to protect the concrete...

Then we taped all around the edges - on this old tire it really doesn't matter. I need new ones anyway. This one got cut up so I could put feet on my compressor to protect it from vibration on the concrete floor :signthankspin:

We taped up the valve stem too so it didn't turn out some oddball color and refuse to take air :lolsmack:

Then ya gotta hit it with Ospho rust converter for all those little spots you missed.

24 hours later, get some paint on her. I chose Valspar Outdoor for metals in white. After a few months it should calm down to a less stark color and look close to original if my patio furniture ages the same way.

Here's a shot of the first coat. We'll give her four coats total.

And that was it for today. Tomorrow we'll do the same thing on the back of this wheel and maybe get another one done. Then we'll carry them around to tire shops looking for tall skinny tires to put on them, and a spare wheel to add to the collection. Cecilia came with no spare, but four of the bullet hole wheels you see her wearing all the time. Not good enough for my girl!

OH! And one more VERY IMPORTANT thing. I was taking the kids around the block in Cecilia the other day and like some of you guys know I've been having trouble getting her from 1st to 2nd and 3rd gears. I read a writeup that sounded so smart and made sense that said the fork wears down and you need to take the whole steering column apart, weld more metal into the shifting link...fork? Shuttle? The little thing that flops on the steering column between R/1st and 2nd/3rd linkages. Anyway, take that off, weld it more, then put it back together. I thought for sure that was in my future.

For now I've just been getting out of the truck, rocking it a little, and pulling it by hand into first gear when it gets stuck.

DUMB. :banghead:

Back to my story, I was taking The Boy and the Powder Puff for a spin around the neighborhood, just touchin' on Cecilia so I keep my interest high, and she locked up again. So I hopped out, grabbed the linkage for 1st gear, and started the delicate dance of moving it back to first without pinching my fingers.

As I look back up to get in the truck, an old bearded guy that looks like a skinny version of Godwin from Duck Dynasty hollered from his house about 40 feet away - "Hey, is that one of them ol' GMCs with that Big Block V6 in it?"

I said with a huge grin, "You bet! The original 305!" He ambled over and took a look and spun a yarn about how he didn't see much of these anymore and they sure could pull. We talked a bit, which it to say he talked because I REALLY stink at social stuff (never know what to say) and he eventually asked me what stopped me there. I told him and pointed out my fork/shuttle thing needing welding. He said, "That don't need weldin, that's yer NEUTRAL ADJUSTMENT. You jes' loosen 'er up and move this like this, and...go give that a try." I did and it was perfect!

Turns out the guy had a shop that worked on old trucks and cars from back in the 50s and 60s and he saw this kinda thing all the time. Now I'm gonna pass that info on to you guys :thumbsup:

Here's the spot under the hood on the steering column that gets caught between gears. You can yank and snatch on the shifter all you want, you ain't gonna get it back in place.

Now run inside and shift it into neutral. Set the brake unless you've got fast legs, you'll be chasing your truck in a minute!

Run back outside and look at how the R/1st and 2nd/3rd linkages are lined up. If they aren't lined up so you can flick that little shuttle/fork thing back and forth really easily, you need to loosen the nut on the shaft that is lowest (because of gravity, is why) and move it upward. On mine it was this one.

Move it up and tighten the nut back down. Then check it again. If it moves freely then you're all set! I haven't had a problem since and I didn't even have to drag the welder out! :yourock:

One more thing, I haven't been online in about a month or more so all you guys with PMs to me gimme a couple of days to catch up. I always answer every PM. If I don't , I'm dead! :ahhhh:

BarryGMC September 7th, 2014 05:26 AM

I had a bit of a vacation. But I have missed the FMP. Hope you are well. Get after it. Barry

BarryGMC September 7th, 2014 05:32 AM

I am a bit melancholy tonight. Been listening to bob wills . Edie cochrain and the stones . Plus a beastie boy song or two. Working on a old school truck. Glad your back. I said that already. But you are my favorite poster. Barry.

FetchMeAPepsi September 7th, 2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 54554)
I am a bit melancholy tonight. Been listening to bob wills . Edie cochrain and the stones . Plus a beastie boy song or two. Working on a old school truck. Glad your back. I said that already. But you are my favorite poster. Barry.

Thanks Barry. You know I couldn't have gotten this far without your help.
The Powder Puff and I cranked up the 50's songs yesterday during work time. She's still asleep today haha.

A little of our playlist:

Dream Lover - Bobby Darin
Sleepwalk - Santo and Johnny
Put your head on my shoulder - Paul Anka
Charlie Brown - The Coasters
(Why must I be a) Teenager in love - Dion and the Belmonts
Along came Jones - The Coasters (Powder Puff loves this one)
At the Hop - Danny and the Juniors

When I work outside I often listen to a CCR pandora station that has a bunch of 70's stuff but when we get on Cecilia we like to pretend it's 1962 and she's brand new but mistreated so we have to fix her back up. :thumbsup:

What are you workin on?

Andice September 7th, 2014 04:52 PM

Fetch: My Henry J had the same issues with shift linkage getting jammed (always in heavy traffic it seemed!) so I feel your pain. There was a metal pry-off cap on top of the shifter box that you could jam full of grease. When the small cap was off you could see where the two shifter arms needed to be lined up so the part that engaged each arm would have a smooth transition from 1st to 2nd gears - if these were not lined up then you would have problems. Kaiser Frazer even made a special tool (Miller Tool Company made it actually)that you could jam into the space between the two arms so they would line up perfectly. First you would have to loosen the nuts on both shift linkages then tighten them up when they were aligned. Forever I thought my problem was worn grommets on the linkage. In the end it was an alignment issue. I am sorry that just found out about your issue. Perhaps I could have shortened your suffering.

Andice September 7th, 2014 05:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is similar to what I am talking about. The area where this guy has done some welding (1st image) is where the two arms need to be aligned. This is different on our trucks but the principle is the same.

GMCDAC September 7th, 2014 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 54555)
Thanks Barry. You know I couldn't have gotten this far without your help.
The Powder Puff and I cranked up the 50's songs yesterday during work time. She's still asleep today haha.

A little of our playlist:

Dream Lover - Bobby Darin
Sleepwalk - Santo and Johnny
Put your head on my shoulder - Paul Anka
Charlie Brown - The Coasters
(Why must I be a) Teenager in love - Dion and the Belmonts
Along came Jones - The Coasters (Powder Puff loves this one)
At the Hop - Danny and the Juniors

When I work outside I often listen to a CCR pandora station that has a bunch of 70's stuff but when we get on Cecilia we like to pretend it's 1962 and she's brand new but mistreated so we have to fix her back up. :thumbsup:

What are you workin on?

You folks listen to some great tunes! Good info here, and the knowledge those old timer mechanics have is priceless!

I had something with a 3 on the tree (had many) that you would do what you are saying but there were holes in the arms and when a 1/4" (I think) drill bit would slide through the holes you would tighten them up. Can't remember what it was though.

Glad to see an update!

DAC

Jeannie September 9th, 2014 02:35 PM

Pepsi,

This message arrived from Coyoterun via email:

Quote:

Goodness, You "kids" like the same music that was going strong when I was in hi-school, graduated Gentry, Ark, 1958, then on to a hitch driving trucks "over the road", In '62, when Cecilia was born, Uncle Sam pointed his finger at me, so then on to Army, a year in the Korean DMZ, missed "Nam", but always liked the song about the '66 Corvette that came out later. I still have to listen to it now and then.
I used to listen to the same songs when I was working on restoring a '58 Chev. Impala back in the mid-90s. Took it back to our 40th class reunion in '98. Cops closed off main-street one night so us ol' timers could squeal the tires and drag main for a couple of hours. Awwh- great memories from simpler times, from 50+ yrs ago, and your teaching Powder Puff Cec's history thru the old music. but Nuff for now.

-Jeannie
6066 GMC Club

Hantke September 11th, 2014 09:02 PM

so are you gonna paint cecilia? or keep her rusty? she could come out nice 'n shiny one of these days!