6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

GMCDAC January 9th, 2015 02:40 AM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 56241)
I wasn't here but I trust Jeannie's judgement. Like I said though Im glad you're still here, and DAC, GMCGUY, WDShaffer, Groby, Jolly, Ed, and Culver, and all the other guys that have real wrench turning experience. There's a lot of info here on the forum but nothing beats experience.

Without you guys I'd never have got my truck running much less get it into regular use. And restoration? Fuggeddaboudit!

:thanks:

On the downside, my newly painted wheels are rusting in pinholes. :(
Spraypaint was such a bad idea there after all that prepwork.

Glad to see you posting again Fetch! Thanks for including me in that list of those guys, but I'm just here learning for the day when I get one of these great GMC's back in the family again!

I'm behind Jeannie's judgement here too. She had to slap me down once and I deserved it. I respected her stand, posted an apology and let it go before I was banned.

DAC

FetchMeAPepsi January 9th, 2015 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 56260)
It would be a good idea to under where the tire goes, I highly suggest you invest in a small air compressor and paint gun to get the job done right, spray cans and brushes just don't do it right.

Heh! You haven't read my build thread in a while BBV6!

Welcome to CompressorWorld!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I got a paint gun from Eastwood too but I'm a little afraid to use it with por-15 since it dries as a permanent glassy rock and I have zero experience with it. Have you shot por-15 before?

FetchMeAPepsi January 9th, 2015 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 56261)
Glad to see you posting again Fetch! Thanks for including me in that list of those guys, but I'm just here learning for the day when I get one of these great GMC's back in the family again!

I'm behind Jeannie's judgement here too. She had to slap me down once and I deserved it. I respected her stand, posted an apology and let it go before I was banned.

DAC

You sell yourself short, buddy. You have some great skills and you've helped alot, sometimes when you don't know it (because I've searched old threads and scarfed your ideas muahahaha!)
I wouldn't think of leaving you out! :cheers:

Hantke January 9th, 2015 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 56252)
I got a lot of info from him too. He was always willing to help and I wouldn't have got the front end rebuilt without him. I'll miss his input and his wisdom but I can't stop just because he isn't here anymore. The build must go on!
I like to think he'd appreciate that.

Well dang it. I KNEW spraypainting was a bad idea. Ugh.

I invested in a few small cans of por-15 this winter to try again. I'm going to use a brush with it. I hate having to media blast it all over again though. Do you know if it's OK to paint the inside under where the tire goes too? I didn't last time but I might this time to fend off any rust monsters.

Just remember, POR-15 cannot be somewhere with direct sunlight contact, it doesn't last long in the light.

bigblockv6 January 9th, 2015 06:08 AM

I've used POR-15 in the past as well, after 3 months of exposure the gloss turn chalky flat, so yes it is affected by sun light. Also when using it, it is extremely important to clean your paint gun thoroughly because this stuff is like epoxy and it will literally glue the paint cup to the rest of the and you won't be able to take the gun apart. I have a can of it that I used just once and now the lid is glued shut.

aphaynes January 9th, 2015 02:52 PM

POR-15 can be top coated though.

GMCDAC January 10th, 2015 01:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 56266)
You sell yourself short, buddy. You have some great skills and you've helped alot, sometimes when you don't know it (because I've searched old threads and scarfed your ideas muahahaha!)
I wouldn't think of leaving you out! :cheers:

If anything you read is useable, scarf all you want, and thanks again! I have learned from you too with all the various projects from wood splitters to your GMC, and the way you and the clan have fun with it all is something we all should try to do more!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 56272)
I've used POR-15 in the past as well, after 3 months of exposure the gloss turn chalky flat, so yes it is affected by sun light. Also when using it, it is extremely important to clean your paint gun thoroughly because this stuff is like epoxy and it will literally glue the paint cup to the rest of the and you won't be able to take the gun apart. I have a can of it that I used just once and now the lid is glued shut.

Hi Bigblockv6, if that can of POR-15 still seems to be liquid inside and you want to use more, try punching (don't drill obviously) a round hole in it somewhere, to open it up and if there is still good paint left, get a screw the size you want and coat the threads with a little vaseline and screw it into the punched hole. You MAY be able to remove it as needed. Works on sign paint without any lube, and I understand POR is a different animal. I have done it with automotive paints and had good luck too. The possibility exists that if you can clean out the groove in the can pretty good and the lip on the lid and a little coat of ATF or vaseline will allow the lid to come off when needed. It is still an oil-base type of paint so a little oily residue will dissolve into it without adverse affect.

DAC

bigblockv6 January 10th, 2015 01:39 AM

Thanks for the advice I will probably cut the can open at the top and transfer it to another container. I can also tell you I've had 30 plus years in the Auto Body and Paint industry.

GMCDAC January 10th, 2015 01:52 AM

Yeah you told me that once before too-- Sorry! Just trying to give some tips I've learned after 30+ years of sign painting.

DAC

bigblockv6 January 10th, 2015 02:19 AM

Just poked a hole in the POR-15 can and it's thicker than molasses, I may reduce it with some paint thinner but it's no big loss for half a can that's only 1/4 pint size. I've got some new stuff called "Zero Rust" that's supposed to be everything POR-15 is and more.