6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

aphaynes April 16th, 2015 04:38 AM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Fetch, good to hear from you! I was just thinking yesterday, where did Fetch disappear to? :lol:

FetchMeAPepsi June 17th, 2015 04:20 PM

Another update! The good news: I think I'm about done with The Redhead's truck.
The bad news?

I still have to finish the fence, build a dadgum storage shed (Lowes, $500) and then it's time for back to school. I may be out of $$$ by the time I can finally tinker with her. I try not to think about it too much until I can put hands on her again. Makes me sad.

aphaynes June 18th, 2015 03:47 AM

Hang in there! :thumbsup: Good to hear from ya!

GMCDAC June 19th, 2015 04:11 AM

Glad to see yer still with us, Fetch! Don't seem like enough hours in a day to work on GMC's here either.

DAC

FetchMeAPepsi June 30th, 2015 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 58331)
Hang in there! :thumbsup: Good to hear from ya!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 58350)
Glad to see yer still with us, Fetch! Don't seem like enough hours in a day to work on GMC's here either.

DAC

THanks guys! I miss hanging out with you guys and Cecilia all the time. This was my online home forever.

This weekend the three of us spent a little one on one on one time together pulling fence posts and hauling wood with Cecilia and the Powder Puff.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

We'll be working on the fence and shed the next few weekends as $$$ allows. I'll be glad when I get rich and famous and don't have to worry about money anymore. :thumbsup:

FetchMeAPepsi August 31st, 2015 02:29 AM

Well this weekend something scary happened. We were driving home with a bunch of 2x4s and 4x6's for the fence and Cecilia just STOPPED on us. We were a half mile from home and she just sputtered and quit.

"Oh Cecilia, you're breaking my heart..."

I pulled her off the main road and checked the battery connections. "Suck, Spark, and Blow are what trucks need," I heard in my head. The battery connections are good. I pulled off the breather and had Powder Puff push the gas pedal. An anemic amount of gas poured into the carb.

That pointed me to the gas side of things. I had just put about 2 gallons in her before driving the past 10 miles and the gauge registered 1/8 of a tank. I didn't think she was empty, but a friendly passer-by offered his lawn mower can so I dumped it in. Still no dice.

So I pulled off the line to the carb from the filter and tried to crank it. Here's what I saw.

Notice the profound lack of gasoline squirting everywhere. Next I pulled the filter off and tried it with that. Nope, still nothing. So I left Cecilia on the side of the road and ran to O'Reillys to get a new fuel pump. It's 180 miles away. It'll be here on Monday.

The Redhead has been driving consistently all summer and she happened to be in town with the F250 "Cocoon" her daddy got her for her first car. So with a lot of instruction I used a 25 ft strap and 5 ft of chain to tie Cecilia to the F250 and we tore off home at a blistering 15 MPH.

Surprisingly, The Redhead did a great job towing, only popping my neck about 4 times through the whole trip. She drove, I rode and steered in Cecilia. I wish I had gotten a pic, but I was too worked up and it was 90000 degrees so I didn't think about it. I just knew she'd pull me into a car or a tree.

Anyway, all went well and Cecilia is parked, waiting on a new fuel pump. I'll go through that step by step too when the time comes :)

I sure missed turning her wrenches, but I wasn't ready to get back on it just yet!

More soon....

TJ's GMC August 31st, 2015 10:48 PM

Glad everyone got home safely and it was a simple problem. :thumbsup:

Foley September 1st, 2015 12:35 AM

Glad your still around Fetch. I could name 3 or 4 other guys (including me) who have been pretty darn quiet this summer cause life does get in the way sumtimez. But it tickles me to know that those 2x4's and 4x4's did make it home and so the fence building project goes on. Cause like you told me once,,,,A guy really does need a good strong back yard fence to lean wheels and shovels and hoes and empty wading pools on.

In other news......I drove thru Kansas again this past June headin' over to Mizzura. I kept looking around for you and even asked at a few truck stops if anybody knew of you. No luck.

Foley
Greenwood, CA

FetchMeAPepsi September 1st, 2015 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 59028)
Glad everyone got home safely and it was a simple problem. :thumbsup:

Thanks TJ! It was a nervous start with such an inexperienced tow operator but it turned out A-OK :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foley (Post 59029)
Glad your still around Fetch. I could name 3 or 4 other guys (including me) who have been pretty darn quiet this summer cause life does get in the way sumtimez. But it tickles me to know that those 2x4's and 4x4's did make it home and so the fence building project goes on. Cause like you told me once,,,,A guy really does need a good strong back yard fence to lean wheels and shovels and hoes and empty wading pools on.

In other news......I drove thru Kansas again this past June headin' over to Mizzura. I kept looking around for you and even asked at a few truck stops if anybody knew of you. No luck.

Foley
Greenwood, CA

LOL Foley you asked about me? You don't know how big I'm grinnin right now. :lolsmack2:

Where did you ask? I know I've said it before but while I can type out a line on the interwebs I sure can't talk in real life. I'm awful at social stuff. I either say the wrong thing, crack a stupid joke, or just stand quietly feeling awkward. I did meet up with CoyoteRun once and that went pretty well but he's a great guy. Big talker and easy to talk to. I felt right at home. (Thanks Coyote!)

The point is I don't really know many people that you could have run into aside from a couple of school connections and direct neighbors. But man if you had lucked out and hit someone that knew me that would have been too cool! :yourock:

I sure miss this site. I need to hurry up and finish this stupid fence so I can get on Cecilia again. I should just plan a day, suck up the social anxiety and send out a mass email inviting everyone over for old trucks, burgers and hotdogs. We might have to beg neighbors for parking, but I can cook at least. :)

FetchMeAPepsi September 1st, 2015 11:31 PM

Ok boys and girls! Let's change a fuel pump....

Tools you will need:
  • 1/2" wrench or socket AND wrench
  • Flathead screwdriver
  • New fuel pump (49.99 with lifetime warranty)
  • About 45 minutes of time

First, let's look at where the fuel pump is located. Some people have replaced their stock mechanical (rod moves up and down to pump gas) pump to an electric one (electric motor pumps the gas instead). Mine's still mechanical. And if it wasn't, I'd replace it with one. :thumbsup:

The fuel pump is the silver disk looking thing to the right of the alternator in the pic here, right on the front of the truck.

You should disconnect the battery negative terminal while doing this so a kid or a random screwdriver doesn't turn the motor over and pump gas all over you or cut your face off with the motor's fan.

Now to the fun part. I ordered part number M20021 from O'Reilly's Auto Parts and it was a direct fit. First, I disconnected the line that runs from the pump to the carburetor with a 1/2" wrench.

Next I took out the bolts that go into the engine, leaving the intake line for last. These were also 1/2".

When you get those two bolts out the whole thing just unplugs from the motor with a big long hangy-down thing sticking out of it. :ahhhh:

Gratuitous picture of the box the new pump came in. I don't know why they pictured the long plastic cylinder thing on the box. It wasn't inside.

Now take your screwdriver and take off the worm clamp on the hose running into the bottom of the fuel pump. I didn't have a screwdriver. I had a dime.

Once it's loose just pull off the bottom hose and yank that old crusty thing out. but don't toss it yet!

See those brass fittings? They don't come on the new pump! Take your wrench and screw them off. I used the round end of my wrench for the long, bottom one. I used the same thing to tighten it on the new one.