6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

FetchMeAPepsi June 17th, 2013 01:28 AM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Then I started removing the bolts. I started with the lower bolts first because I didn't want to be removing lower bolts when the radiator was wanting to fall on me. This is the driver's side.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Here's the last bolt. Be careful when it's close to the end! It'll pinch on ya as the radiator tries to fall a bit.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Then do the other side, again starting with the bottom bolts. This side is tougher to get to (or get a pic of!)

Then I disconnected my overflow hose.

Once those three are out you can raise up on the radiator a bit. The side brackets will fall off to the side. Don't panic! That's by design.
Edited: This is not by design. The side brackets are supposed to be soldered to the radiator but apparently mine broke loose sometime in the last 50 years. I didn't find out that they were supposed to be stuck together until a reply to this thread pointed it out. Thanks David!

When my radiator came out I realized it had a drain plug on it. Well, I did it the fast way so I guess it didn't matter!

I threw the bolts I just removed in the carb dip for a cleaning. I should have been doing this with alot of stuff I've worked on but... Well hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

Once your radiator is out you can hire a little Powder Puff Mechanic from your local sprinkler yard to slosh over and run a wire brush over the offending area. She got through the black, through the green copper-rust and down to the shiny copper. She said, "Ooo Daddy this is sooooo pretty!" Then she thought a second and started scrubbing again. "I'm going to find out what's under the copper!"
Oh no you don't! :lol:

Here I grabbed a couple of rubber bands and then I needed some plastic to plug up the radiator hose connections. I couldn't find any plastic lying around but I did find an empty Ritz Cracker wrapper and an old bag of Subway chips.

Hmm, they work!

FetchMeAPepsi June 17th, 2013 01:35 AM

Then I filled the tank with water from the hose with the help of my Powder Puff again.

I flipped the radiator over and there was my leak. Right at the bullet hole looking things but on the outside. Looks like it just came loose at the seam!
Lucky me!

Drain the tank and put it somewhere to dry. It was about to rain on us so we put it on the porch until tomorrow.

When I walked in, sweating like a pig at election (some of you will know that saying lol) my youngest was not happy with not getting to see her daddy all day. Maybe we'll have a new powder puff mechanic soon!

FetchMeAPepsi July 1st, 2013 03:54 AM

I have a confession to make. I get discouraged when I can't drive Cecilia.

Like, depressed sad overwhelmed style discouraged. :nervous:This is my first time working on an automobile so maybe that's normal. A wise man once told me "when you're feeling down don't start a project you can't finish in a weekend. Keep her drivable."

I started the radiator on the 16th, and it's the 30th. Today I finally put her back together and had to postpone dinner so I could get in and DRIVE my baby for a bit. It felt so good to spin her tires again.

It's not like this every time. When I first got her it took a while to get her running well enough to drive. Maybe it's just a phase I'm going through or this great weather making me feel the need to cruise. Anyway, it wears on me..... and "that's about all I have to saaayy about thayyaattt"

So here's how the radiator went from that point on...

FetchMeAPepsi July 1st, 2013 05:08 AM

I yanked my bolts out of the dip 24 hours after putting them in. They were not as nice as I expected.
:pullinghairout:

As luck would have it as I was pulling out my bolts the Fedex guy drove up and delivered my new wire wheel for my drill.

So I threw 'em in a vice and got to work polishing the rust off.

They looked ok, but I thought why not go ahead and paint 'em? So I did.
I put them in a block of wood I had with holes already in it. They fit.

Primer:

When they dried I hit them with this stuff. It's high heat black paint so the engine heat will be no problem.

While they dried I went back to my radiator. Check out these suckers.

So I grabbed this flux and 50/50 silver solder

I put a bucket of water under my work area to catch any solder that fell, then I set to work applying flux.

I turned on my torch to low (it blows harder when it's upside down so you gotta make sure it's low). Then I strung out my solder.

Then I just got after it. You really have to make sure not to heat it too much though. And if were doing it again I would put wet rags on either side of my work area to keep from messing up the factory solder and making more holes.
I chased holes for two weeks.

Once you think you're done you can put water in it and lean it over. Your solder only needs to hold about 7 lbs of pressure so there's not a lot of pressure there. If you did a good job it won't leak.

Don't forget to put the cap on or you'll end up with wet shoes.

I kept having weeping through the side in mine and almost never found it. Two weeks later it looked like this because there is a very small crack on the tank above the seam here that I almost never found. I soldered my butt off on that stupid thing.

In between soldering sessions I thought, what about that radiator mount? It's awful ugly. So I took it outside and sprayed it down with oven cleaner, which is supposed to clean it down to bare metal.
It didn't.

While I thought on that a bit I decided to pull that rebuilt alternator back out and polish it up. I should have done this to begin with.

Oooo Purty stuff!

I thought the alternator arm looked ugly too. Sanded and primed along with the mounting bolts.

I forgot to mention that it is very important that you keep your sugar level up while working on your truck. These are awesome.

FetchMeAPepsi July 1st, 2013 05:43 AM

Hand sanding the radiator bracket was slow and made my spaghetti arms tired. I saw little progress in the deep rust.
So I got out my orbital sander and put 80 grit on it. It didn't do much better.

So I got out the Speed Blaster gun. You can get it from Amazon for about 45 bucks. It works off of any compressor. I filled it with Black Beauty sanding media.

Then I stapled an old painting sheet to the fence outside. I should have used two or three sheets, but I didn't. This pic is upside down for some reason.

I put on a dust mask and eye protection. After the first 3 minutes I found a pair of gloves too. That sand HURTS!
Then I blasted like a madman. It's like running a crayola or an eraser. It just makes the rust disappear in a quarter sized circle. The sheet was great because all the used media was right there at my feet to re-load in the sandblaster and shoot again.

The only problem is it turned me from a redneck to a black-neck. This stuff was everywhere when I was done.

After blasting I primed and painted with the same high heat paint.
Then three coats of clear.

While it dried I mounted my alternator and found a problem with my painting process on the bolts. Hmph!

Then I put my radiator mount in. I had to take it back out though because it doesn't mount well like this. It's easier to put the radiator into the mount, then set the entire set into the truck slowly.

I don't have pics of me putting the whole radiator in because I had my hands full of radiator. My PP mechanic was inside making brownies for me so I can't blame her either. They was sum good brownies too. If you guys were closer I'd let you try them.

After settling the radiator in and letting it sit on the lower hose I wiggled it around to get the first bolt in on the driver's side at the top. Not snug, but just started on the threads. Some finagling is left to do to get the other bolts in.

Then on the other side I raised it up and put that bolt in snugly.

Then I pulled the radiator hose from under it at the bottom and I put the remaining bolts in, only tightening them after all six were fitting nicely in their threads.

Then I hooked up the lower hose and tightened it down.

Next was the top hose.

Finally the little overflow hose and fill her up with just tapwater while we test it at operating temperature.

After that I started her up and let her run for a few minutes to see if she leaked. After she got warm I took her for a spin for about 20 minutes to make sure. After verifying that my repair job held I cleaned up all my mess and went in for a shower. Let me tell you it felt sooooo good to get to drive her again.

Now I gotta pull the radiator out again to paint it too. And put antifreeze in her. Can't let it run around without antifreeze if I want to keep driving her.:whipit:

FetchMeAPepsi July 7th, 2013 04:03 PM

A few guys asked me recently how long I've been turning wrenches. I said "What? Have you seen my thread?"

To me its obvious that I have no idea what I'm doing by the disjointed way I go about my build here. My philosophy is to find whats leaking or squeaking then see how I can make it stop in the cheapest, yet most effective way possible. In the process I end up chasing rabbits and fixing or destroying other stuff. As for experience well I changed my oil about three times in high school in my 1983 chevy truck. More because my dad sat out there and made me do it than because I had any interest in using my hands.

I guess what Im saying is I'm just a monkey with a wrench and a truck. The only way i keep from blowing things up is with alot of reading. I pick a project then I read all I can find about it online. Then I go try it myself, usually mess up the first time, then I have a little luck and it works out right. :lolflag:
Like CoyoteRun says, Ill fix it myself and pay the extra $500 haha!

Take this weekend for example. It's a great view to my thinking as I go through a project. I got to feeling my oats and pulled Cecilia into the garage. Its 96 degrees here so keeping her in the shade really renewed my wrench-turning itch. I looked at her standing there with her tall 4wd self and I thought Whats next?

I put cardboard under her because I knew she had a few leaks and I wanted to better pinpoint them and I didnt want her marking her territory on my garage floor. By the way I mentioned a rolly chair/creeper earlier. You can see the kids playing on it in a previous post. I got it because I had hip surgery and it helped me slide around to different locations without getting on the ground. I put it into creeper mode and man is it ever a back and hip saver. If you have any kind of back or leg problem I recommend it.

Anyway I got myself down on the creeper and WHOOSH! I was zipping along underneath her like a baby on a slip and slide. Engine, transfer case, rear end, I was everywhere. I placed my cardboard bits down and left it for a couple of days to check the drips. It looks like the rear end is leaking the most for me so I did my usual "step back and look at it" routine. What should I do first?

First I find out what I'm looking at. I'm pretty sure I'll need seals and oil. That goes without saying. But rear ends on trucks are like rear ends on people. They're not all the same. I take a putty knife and scrape all around the rear end to find some number or something.

David R Leifheit July 7th, 2013 06:40 PM

In regards to your radiator, where you said:

"Once those three are out you can raise up on the radiator a bit. The side brackets will fall off to the side. Don't panic! That's by design."

I'd say... not on any radiator I've removed. That assembly is soldered/welded to the radiator.

On my '63-'66 trucks there are two brackets at the bottom and one at the top that hold it in, with no side brackets at all. But for 60-62, those side brackets are soldered/welded to the radiator. :)
loose early radiator:

1962:

David R Leifheit July 7th, 2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 49249)
A few guys asked me recently how long I've been turning wrenches. I said "What? Have you seen my thread?"
As for experience well I changed my oil about three times in high school in my 1983 chevy truck. More because my dad sat out there and made me do it than because I had any interest in using my hands.

Sounds like you got your training similar to mine.
My dad *made* me help him, then take over doing, the routine maintenance on vehicles, mostly because his dad didn't. I hated every minute of it. And now I have more tools than any sane person needs, and am only short actual machining equipment when it comes to being able to rebuild a vehicle.

The only formal training I had was my folks' made me take a small engine repair class in high school, we rebuilt a lawnmower engine. Woo Hoo.

But you know, a lawnmower (Briggs & Stratton) really is no different than any other motor, just fewer pistons.

I went to college to learn how to do "white collar" jobs so I would never need to get my hands dirty. I haven't really had a white collar job -yet- and I graduated High School almost 35 years ago. Seems I was destined to get my hands dirty (and cut/scraped, back broke, head banged, etc. etc.)

FetchMeAPepsi July 9th, 2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R Leifheit (Post 49251)
I'd say... not on any radiator I've removed. That assembly is soldered/welded to the radiator.

I had no idea! I PMd Jeannie to see if she would put that in my post for me. I can't edit it anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R Leifheit (Post 49252)
Sounds like you got your training similar to mine.
My dad *made* me help him, then take over doing, the routine maintenance on vehicles, mostly because his dad didn't. I hated every minute of it. And now I have more tools than any sane person needs, and am only short actual machining equipment when it comes to being able to rebuild a vehicle.

The only formal training I had was my folks' made me take a small engine repair class in high school, we rebuilt a lawnmower engine. Woo Hoo.

But you know, a lawnmower (Briggs & Stratton) really is no different than any other motor, just fewer pistons.

I went to college to learn how to do "white collar" jobs so I would never need to get my hands dirty. I haven't really had a white collar job -yet- and I graduated High School almost 35 years ago. Seems I was destined to get my hands dirty (and cut/scraped, back broke, head banged, etc. etc.)

:lolflag: Dads are great aren't they? I hope my son complains about me when he hits 30 for the same reason.
Take that posterity! :whipit:

FetchMeAPepsi July 9th, 2013 01:16 AM

I never found any numbers, but if you look at my springs you can see that they're held on with a U-bolt. That's telling right there. I can tell from the shape of the rear end cover that it's either a Dana 44 or a Dana 60. Thats all that was offered on K1000 in 1962. So without finding any numbers and seeing that the U-bolts were used I can assume it's a Dana 44, the most common rear end in GM trucks.

How do I know that? I searched and read about other people that had similar trucks and didn't know what rear end they had. I could still be wrong. It could be the much sought after Dana 60, but I doubt it. This was a farm truck.

This was going to be some insight into the monkey with wrenches mindset so try to follow this next part...It's jumpy.
  • Seeing that I identified my rear I thought hmm thats way down there. I might not be able to lie down that long enough to do it right all at once.
  • Then I thought those springs are rusty.
  • Then I thought what's that in the bed of my truck? Oh yeah, the old floor mat that broke. I should toss that.
  • Then I thought look at that plywood in the bed. A 4x8 sheet fits perfectly huh?
  • Then I thought well that looks like crap. I wonder what the bed wood looks like under?
  • And that's when I thought to myself it would be alot easier to remove the bed to get to the rear end and I could paint the undersides while I was at it.

So that's what led me from I wonder what's leaking most? to "Hey lets remove the bed!"
See? Jumpy.

I called the kiddos over and asked if they wanted to do any vacuuming in the bed. Surprisingly they both jumped at the chance.

They picked all the little screws and acorns off of it then I ran around pulling out the decking screws. Then we lifted it up.

Not as bad as I would have thought really. It only has three holes in it. I would have probably still used it like it is. The kids then started vacuuming the old wood. The boy got the first half. Dig the shark shoes eatin up the dirt. Nom nom nom!

Then the powder puff got the second half.

Nearest I can tell there's only four bolts holding the bed to the frame. Here's two pictured.

The thought process started up again at this point.
  • Cant remove the bed without removing the bumper which i wanted to paint anyway.
  • And cant remove the bumper without removing the lights.
  • Hey those lights look awful and rusty. I should paint 'em!

And thats how I went from Lets fix a leak to Lets paint some taillights. Get it? Me either.

I checked out the way the tail lights were mounted. They have a plastic sheath on them up through the bumper.

I pulled out a 7/16 wrench and got to wrenching on the nuts.

Once both of them were off I snipped the wires going to the light. I later found out this wasn't necessary. Don't snip your wires if you don't have to.

I put the light can down and removed the two screws on the face of it to look inside at the eww inside. Nice rust collection on the outside here. It had rust on the inside too.

To remove the bulb you give it a light push on the bulb and twist the bulb to the left (righty tighty lefty loosey) then pull it out. See the little nubs on the side of the bulb's shiny gold part? Those are different heights on each side. That means that you can't put it in backwards. Each nub has to go in a specific slot when you put it back in. And be careful of the bulb itself. It is glass after all.

Hopefully you got yours removed. :)

Then push the wires through the hole the same way the bulb just went.

Then tape up the plastic white reflector on the bottom if you can't get it out.

You might tape up the inside of it too to protect it from overspray. I didn't and hit it with a little bit. Actually I painted my dang Iphone too if you can believe that. I sat it down to move some things for pictures, sprayed the things, and saw a nice little PSSSHHHHTTT line across the phone's glass.
Nice.

I sanded that can out and painted it black with bedliner paint. It's supposed to be tough enough to take a punch and not fall apart like regular paint. I'm planning on using it on anything black that will see dirt and rocks.

Then I went back and labeled that wire I cut off at the truck.