6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Turn signal dilemma (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51235)

Forgue October 21st, 2021 04:25 PM

Turn signal dilemma

Hi all! New to the forum and just started my project. I am quickly trying to get up to speed on some wiring.....and here is what I can't grasp. I aplolgize if it has been addressed in a prior thread.

Replaced the turn signal switch and harness and dash. All front signals work great. Left rear tail lights and turn signal works normal. When I use the right signal it triggers both rear lights to blink like hazards are on, but not bright like a turn signal.

I have traced all the wiring from back thru the firewall. Brown is power to tail lights. Yellow is to left signal, dark green is to right signal. An additional Brown from left turn signal to license plate light and all grounded to bed. I cleaned all ground contacts bed to frame, light buckets to bed etc. Both old and new switch cause the issue so assuming the signal switch is correct. Can't figure out why right signal flashes both bulbs

AZKen October 22nd, 2021 03:24 AM

Re: Turn signal dilemma

You did not say if tail lights work????? Possible Taillight socket(s) not grounding.

James October 22nd, 2021 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 74779)
You not say if tail lights work????? Possible Taillight socket(s) not grounding.

I agree with you AZKen. Forgue you have a grounding issue at the right rear light assembly.

The reason is, when the right turn signal is on its using the tail light circuit as a ground path to ground (through the right tail light over to the left tail light to ground). If you had tried it with the parking or head lights on you would not have any right turn signal. Or removing the left tail light bulb you would have no a right turn signal either. This is typical when there is two elements (brake and tail lights) in the bulb.

The cause could be a rusted right light socket, broken ground wire between the right socket and ground, a bad ground connection at the light socket, or a bad crimp terminal.

Solution: Use a Volt/Ohm meter and measure the resistance (with the right bulb removed) from the light socket (the side of the socket and not the two contacts in the back) to the ground on the body. The reading should be zero ohm (or very close to it like less than 1 ohm). And make sure your meter reads zero ohm when touching the leads together, don't want you to chase a non-existing problems.

Forgue October 25th, 2021 06:01 PM

Thanks everyone! It was a bad ground! Wire brushed the heck out of it to bare metal and put it all back togeterh and like magic, all is good! thanks to everyone for the assist....I'm new to this and I am learning to be patient LOL:signthankspin: