6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   I-6 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Blown head gasket vs. cracked block (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47880)

Vern April 28th, 2014 04:44 AM

Re: Blown head gasket vs. cracked block

It's been decades since I helped someone pull an engine, and they were V8's. So, is there a good way to pull a v6 with the cylinder head and intake/ exhaust manifolds in place? It would be nice to get the engine up on the stand, replace all the gaskets outside the truck, then put back in? Many sites I've seen pull the engine out with bolts screwed into the block.

Rockdriller April 28th, 2014 05:07 AM

Vern....
Good to talk to you,

The easiest way to do it ....(at least for me) is to pull the front clip, radiator and all.
Just drain everything, unhook the engine wiring and harness at fire-wall, hoses to the radiator....the bolts from fenders to cab, the core support to frame, maybe the bumper, and lift the whole marry-anne off and set it aside.
Then she's a piece of cake.
Easiest with a couple strong young-uns to handle the front clip for ya.

More after I think for a few.

quest April 28th, 2014 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vern (Post 53143)
It's been decades since I helped someone pull an engine, and they were V8's. So, is there a good way to pull a v6 with the cylinder head and intake/ exhaust manifolds in place? It would be nice to get the engine up on the stand, replace all the gaskets outside the truck, then put back in? Many sites I've seen pull the engine out with bolts screwed into the block.

Wondering if I missed something in your posts about your truck, is it a V6 or inline 6? I thought you had a 250 I-6, or are you talking about a different truck here?

If it were me I would just remove the hood and yank the engine out, but having the whole front clip off will certainly make pulling the engine (and possibly tranny all together) super easy! Not really that much extra work to do that I guess.

I usually just put longer bolts/washers trough a heavy chain into an available bolt hole either on the front/back of the head or intake/exhaust manifold.

Vern April 29th, 2014 04:18 AM

[QUOTE=quest;53150]Wondering if I missed something in your posts about your truck, is it a V6 or inline 6? I thought you had a 250 I-6, or are you talking about a different truck here?

[QUOTE]
It's an inline 6...typo again!

Vern May 8th, 2014 03:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have most of the engine unbolted, a cherry picker and stand from craigslist, and hope to pull the engine this weekend.

One of the things I noticed all along is the size of the gap between the exhaust manifold and exhaust. There was also no gasket there. Is this gap supposed to be so large? It sure sounded like there was exhaust leaking when it ran.

BarryGMC May 9th, 2014 01:49 AM

If that 250 needs a lot I have a couple of good 292's. Complete carb to starter. I can even fire one up. Local forum member price 375.00. Barry

BarryGMC May 9th, 2014 01:52 AM

The gmc letters are still free.

Vern May 9th, 2014 04:29 AM

Barry, I might take you up on the 292 at some point. It would be nice to have an engine that's been rebuilt from the ground up when I have the time and money to do it. But, I'd rather get this 250 up and running so I can drive it.

I'd love to get those GMC letters from you too.

Vern May 9th, 2014 04:31 AM

Oh, another question. It looks like it's best to disconnect the bell housing from the tranny to pull...rather than unbolt the block from the bell housing? The bolts look darn near impossible to undo as is.

GMCDAC May 10th, 2014 02:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vern (Post 53290)
Oh, another question. It looks like it's best to disconnect the bell housing from the tranny to pull...rather than unbolt the block from the bell housing? The bolts look darn near impossible to undo as is.

It may be Vern. I am going to guess that your I-6 GMC is very similar to this '64 Chevy I parted out a while back. They do have very different exhaust manifolds so no way to be sure everything else is similar. The transmission, if it is 4 speed like this one is not mounted, It hangs off the bell housing so you remove the access cover in the cab and pull it back out of the bell housing first. The rear engine mounts are on the bell housing.

pic1- pulling the engine

pic2-engine with bell housing

pic3-front and rear mounts in frame

DAC