6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   I-6 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Blown head gasket vs. cracked block (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47880)

turbobill May 10th, 2014 01:38 PM

Re: Blown head gasket vs. cracked block

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vern (Post 53274)
I have most of the engine unbolted, a cherry picker and stand from craigslist, and hope to pull the engine this weekend.

One of the things I noticed all along is the size of the gap between the exhaust manifold and exhaust. There was also no gasket there. Is this gap supposed to be so large? It sure sounded like there was exhaust leaking when it ran.

Is that dual exhaust some sort of factory manifold?

Vern May 10th, 2014 05:06 PM

I'm not sure about the manifold...I don't know very much about the history of the engine.

Vern May 13th, 2014 04:46 AM

After 3 hrs of trying yesterday, I can't get the transmission to let go of the engine. I got about 2 or so inches of separation, but can't free the engine. Back to the drawing board! :pullinghairout:

BarryGMC May 13th, 2014 06:38 AM

Call me.

Vern May 27th, 2014 04:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, finally an update. Finally got the engine out. Makes for a good ending of the day!

quest May 27th, 2014 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vern (Post 53289)
Barry, I might take you up on the 292 at some point. It would be nice to have an engine that's been rebuilt from the ground up when I have the time and money to do it. But, I'd rather get this 250 up and running so I can drive it.

I'd love to get those GMC letters from you too.

I don't know Vern, the 292 for $375 is pretty good if it's is a runner, no work needed!
Then again if you can get away with just doing all your gaskets and seals, that's cheap too!

quest May 27th, 2014 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vern (Post 53501)
OK, finally an update. Finally got the engine out. Makes for a good ending of the day!

That's a funky dual exhaust manifold you have, I like that!

Vern June 4th, 2014 01:08 AM

I'm strongly leaning towards getting the 292. Given that I want to re-use the clutch, bell housing, and tranny from the 250, what else do I need? I've been told that the flywheel bolts might have to be swapped? What about motor mounts? I've heard that I'll need new mounts or that I can use the old ones, but they have to be moved?

BarryGMC June 5th, 2014 04:03 AM

Howdy . It was good chatting today. Dug up your 292 motor stands. Rest will work. The engine has a good flywheel. So no worries there. Instead of a header i would run a big truck manifold with the large collector.. simple swap. Barry

BarryGMC June 15th, 2014 03:40 AM

It was nice meeting you . Though I won't say your name. Since you go by Vern. I am glad we can get the truck on the road soon. That is why we have them. To drive. Talk to you soon . Barry.