6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   6066 GMC Truck Bed Rails,steel,wood,homemade or factory direct (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48907)

1960HDGMC July 1st, 2015 02:26 PM

6066 GMC Truck Bed Rails,steel,wood,homemade or factory direct

5 Attachment(s)
Hello, I thought it might be helpful to pool all the bed rail info in one spot, for those that are looking for ideas for there projects. Please upload pictures of your rails, instructions, ads for rails, etc.. Even camper shells and bed covers in fiberglass or vinyl. Anything that looks good in or on your truck bed. Thanks, GM

1960HDGMC July 1st, 2015 02:37 PM

Re: 6066 GMC Truck Bed Rails,steel,wood,homemade or factory direct

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the bald cypress rails I made to match the floor wood.

1960HDGMC July 4th, 2015 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a brain scratcher, I found a 1963 Chevrolet Accessory Installation Instructions Manual that has a page dated 1959 for a set of bed rails. I have never heard of these being factory accessories before 1963. Has anyone ever seen a set on a pre-1963 GMC or Chevy truck? Also, I have yet to find these rails available in any GMC Accessories Catalog. Were they only available through Chevrolet? They look cool as all outdoors. I really want a set for my truck. The new style stuff is fine for later model stuff, but these look right for the 6066 trucks. GM

1960HDGMC July 13th, 2015 06:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is some 1960 info from Chevrolet concerning there side rails.They are listed in the 1960 Chevy Price Guide as side rails under part # 988257. retail $48.50 Dealer cost $29.10. Does anyone know if GMC offered these same rails? GM

gmccollector July 14th, 2015 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 58530)
Here's a brain scratcher, I found a 1963 Chevrolet Accessory Installation Instructions Manual that has a page dated 1959 for a set of bed rails. I have never heard of these being factory accessories before 1963. Has anyone ever seen a set on a pre-1963 GMC or Chevy truck? Also, I have yet to find these rails available in any GMC Accessories Catalog. Were they only available through Chevrolet? They look cool as all outdoors. I really want a set for my truck. The new style stuff is fine for later model stuff, but these look right for the 6066 trucks. GM

I will have to look for my early GMC accessory books . As for the 1959 print date, it was common for Chevrolet accessories to be advertised or made in the beginning of each model year. Mid to late 1959 is when the new 1960 models were introduced. The 988257 accessory number is listed in the 1960 Chevy only parts book that book was also printed in 1959. I have an NOS set of these and a used set I pulled off a 1960 years ago. Very good question on whether they came on GMCs ??

1960HDGMC July 15th, 2015 11:33 PM

I am leaning toward believing that these were not a GMC Accessory. Since they are first cousins to Chevy trucks, I think they used or ordered from the Chevy part number. I happen to know that Chevy and GMC shared part numbers on there Torsion Bars. So there was certainly some plurality in the sharing of part numbers. I have the 1960 GMC Accessory Catalog. It lists all the other chrome goodies. But there is no mention of side bed rails. I have the 1960 GMC Accessory flyer, same deal. I have never seen advertising from the 6066 era that includes side bed rails on a GMC. I have seen Chevy trucks from this era with the side bed rails. My 1960 GMC Master Parts Book has no mention of rails, nor a matching part number. Speaking for the 1960 GMC year models only, and based on my own exhaustive research into the matter, side bed rails were not available from GMC in a GMC part numbered kit. Maybe in other years, although I have found no evidence that they were either. If these particular side rails are sometimes found on GMC trucks, I believe it was because they were the closest thing handy from a sharing cousin. GM

ilvracn July 16th, 2015 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 3331

here is a pic of the rails on my 66 1500. they came with the truck, i don't know who made them.

1960HDGMC July 16th, 2015 04:14 PM

Hey ilvracn, Those rails are sharp(and so is the truck). They did the attachments from the inside, so the outside rail wood is smooth. I like the posts they made too. Looks like White Oak? I have thought about cutting my rails down like yours, for better visibility. Looks sharp either way. Thanks for posting, GM

1960HDGMC July 16th, 2015 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmccollector (Post 58574)
I will have to look for my early GMC accessory books . As for the 1959 print date, it was common for Chevrolet accessories to be advertised or made in the beginning of each model year. Mid to late 1959 is when the new 1960 models were introduced. The 988257 accessory number is listed in the 1960 Chevy only parts book that book was also printed in 1959. I have an NOS set of these and a used set I pulled off a 1960 years ago. Very good question on whether they came on GMCs ??

Any luck finding GMC paper with the side bed rails? I have been digging, and I did manage to run across 1963 Chevrolet Accessory books with the rails. One US, and one Canadian Chevrolet. Same part number. The US GMC 1963 Accessory book has no rails. In fact, no US GMC Accessory book from 60-66 lists the rails. I think the rails look great on GMC trucks. I also think, based on the overwhelming evidence available, that the rails were never available from GMC. IF you had a GMC, and wanted "GM Rails", you had to use a Chevrolet Part number to order them. All the evidence points to this. Some dealers had both lines, so in-house ordering of Chevy parts to bolt to GMC trucks, was no problem. Others had to drive across town to the Chevy parts counter to order the rails. I would have done that in a minute. Even though they were never a 6066 GMC Approved Accessory, they were GM Built in the USA, and certainly period correct, and looked cool. GM

Clarke August 5th, 2015 03:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made my rails from white oak (same as what I used to replace the bed flooring). I put the stakes on the outside and included D rings on the inside to assist with tie downs. The bed rails also serve as support for my canoe rack. Actually, I can fit two canoes side by side. I made the canoe rack from galvanized pipe. The piping is attached to the bed rails using wing nuts, so I can easily remove the piping if I just want to run with the bed rails only.