6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Transmissions and Rear Ends (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   4 speed manual transmission (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48081)

acerna March 2nd, 2014 08:18 PM

4 speed manual transmission

I see almost no discussions on replaceing the gears from the tree to floor stick. My 61 gmc 305 v6 still works great but what about finding parts like the 1st to reverse levers. Any info wound be great. Thanks

Funky61 March 2nd, 2014 11:06 PM

Re: 4 speed manual transmission

Welcome Acerna;

here is the link from Jolly's page on moving the column to the floor.

http://6066gmcguy.com/3-to-4-speed.html

FetchMeAPepsi March 3rd, 2014 03:03 PM

Do you mean converting from a 3 on the tree to a 4 in the floor? Or do you just mean the rods that run from the steering column to the transmission?

I cant really decode what you want. Got pics?

acerna March 3rd, 2014 06:09 PM

Thanks for the reply Pepsi Man > I guess my question was not real clear. I don't see discussions on repairing the steering column once the first,second,third and reverse shifter levers break or wear down. I have never seen any of these parts available on truck parts magazines. What are the options besides going to floor shifter or power steering.TKS

FetchMeAPepsi March 3rd, 2014 07:16 PM

Ohh, so you mean the linkage off the column. Mine stuck occasionally until I sprayed the crap out of it with WD-40 (no kidding) now it's so smooth it falls out of gear sometimes when I'm in 3rd. :teehee:

I would probably pull linkage bar off, it's not hard, and weld missing metal to it if that's the problem. If the little house shaped (from what I remember) part is the problem you can weld on them too then grind them down smooth. A quick and easy fix might be to use JB Weld until youre able to get to welding on them.

I see youre in San Antone! I get down to the FT worth area every once in a while for family. I went to SA a few years ago for the riverwalk and Seaworld/Schlitterbahn (sp) and it was a big hit with the family.:thumbsup:

Edited to add: I wouldnt go to a floor shifter if it wasn't standard for that year. You might fix the problem, but you'll hurt resale value when you put it up for sale since they wont know if you did it right and a transmission is kinda important. I guess you could do a build post here and point the new owner to it though to let them see how you fixed it. Thats what I plan to do if I ever have to sell Cecilia (after selling all my kids and both arms).

acerna March 5th, 2014 04:25 AM

Thanks Mr Fetch me a Pepsi. Your right the linkage requires a lot of lubricant, as you well know, notorious for gears sticking. I did have that u-shape part where the levers engage machined once to make it work.Working on the brakes now.Thanks for the comments on San Antonio The weather is not to bad and don't have to shovel snow every morning.

Rockdriller March 6th, 2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 52368)
Ohh, so you mean the linkage off the column. Mine stuck occasionally until I sprayed the crap out of it with WD-40 (no kidding) now it's so smooth it falls out of gear sometimes when I'm in 3rd. :teehee:

I would probably pull linkage bar off, it's not hard, and weld missing metal to it if that's the problem. If the little house shaped (from what I remember) part is the problem you can weld on them too then grind them down smooth. A quick and easy fix might be to use JB Weld until youre able to get to welding on them.

I see youre in San Antone! I get down to the FT worth area every once in a while for family. I went to SA a few years ago for the riverwalk and Seaworld/Schlitterbahn (sp) and it was a big hit with the family.:thumbsup:

Edited to add: I wouldnt go to a floor shifter if it wasn't standard for that year. You might fix the problem, but you'll hurt resale value when you put it up for sale since they wont know if you did it right and a transmission is kinda important. I guess you could do a build post here and point the new owner to it though to let them see how you fixed it. Thats what I plan to do if I ever have to sell Cecilia (after selling all my kids and both arms).

You could always just sell one arm and your nose.....keeping one arm so you can keep your typing finger......
Otherwise you might end up being another "nose typer".....which aint all that bad.....but nose grinding and nose welding can be a real pain.

Someone help me.

acerna March 6th, 2014 11:06 PM

Thanks but i intend to keep on the tree and not go to a floor shift.Except for the alternator everything is still original from the oil breather (filter) to the transmission.Its a 61 v6 gmc and I've had it since 1967::my2cents:

GMCDAC March 7th, 2014 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acerna (Post 52390)
Thanks but i intend to keep on the tree and not go to a floor shift.Except for the alternator everything is still original from the oil breather (filter) to the transmission.Its a 61 v6 gmc and I've had it since 1967::my2cents:

Wow and I thought I hung on to GMC's a long time! Lets see some pics of this truck! Welcome from the Black Hills!

DAC

Ed Snyder March 7th, 2014 04:48 AM

This one looks like it might be near you, Doug:

http://rapidcity.craigslist.org/cto/4356654097.html