6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How much can a 3/4ton with a 305 haul? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50691)

5Tractorguy August 18th, 2019 03:55 PM

How much can a 3/4ton with a 305 haul?

Been thinking about buying another truck lately. Found a 1968 GMC 3/4 ton, 2WD, 305 V6, 4spd, with a service body (wrong year for this site, but I'm seeking info on the engine). Seems to be in good shape. But before I ask the seller for more info and pictures, how well would this truck do loaded down with tools 'n stuff?

I want to setup a service truck so I can do road calls for tractors... something that I get asked often enough every year, but have to turn down since I don't have a truck equipped for it.

My '61 5000 has the 351 and that seems to do pretty good loaded with tractors, but I never had a chance to drive a pickup with the 305. After I load the boxes with tools, parts and mount a compressor and my Lincoln welder in the back, do you think the 305 will handle it okay?

Not looking to fly down the highway, but it would be nice to pull the secondary roads without having to downshift on the hills around here.

LEWISMATKIN August 18th, 2019 04:33 PM

Re: How much can a 3/4ton with a 305 haul?

depending on the gear ratio of the rear axle, it should do fine. There is a little used '67 and later group on yahoo, of which several of us are members but we don't frequent it very much any more. Anyway, you are more than welcome to discuss any V6 issues you may have.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

BillT August 18th, 2019 05:54 PM

The 305 should do just fine.

My '62 4000 had an engine changed at some point in time to a 305E (a pick-up engine) and it pulled amazingly fine. I would haul 2 1/2 Cords of firewood with it. Yes, about 2000 lbs overweight, I know, but it pulled just fine, with just a 4-Speed Trans and no 2-speed rear, uphill to boot.

Sure, you will most likely need to downshift now and then with your 3/4 Ton, but would that really be a problem? Shifting is half the fun, lol.

5Tractorguy August 18th, 2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEWISMATKIN (Post 71399)
depending on the gear ratio of the rear axle, it should do fine. There is a little used '67 and later group on yahoo, of which several of us are members but we don't frequent it very much any more. Anyway, you are more than welcome to discuss any V6 issues you may have.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I was going to go over to the big 67-72 forum given the year, but it's mostly all that new fangled slammed/bagged/SBC stuff being built. Figured here is the best place for V6 info!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillT (Post 71400)
The 305 should do just fine.

My '62 4000 had an engine changed at some point in time to a 305E (a pick-up engine) and it pulled amazingly fine. I would haul 2 1/2 Cords of firewood with it. Yes, about 2000 lbs overweight, I know, but it pulled just fine, with just a 4-Speed Trans and no 2-speed rear, uphill to boot.

Sure, you will most likely need to downshift now and then with your 3/4 Ton, but would that really be a problem? Shifting is half the fun, lol.

Thanks Bill! Pretty impressive with that stout load of wood... I've heard a lot of good things about the 305's but still haven't driven a truck with one. Maybe some day if I ever have time to finish my '64 GMC restoration....

I don't mind a little shifting now, after all, being a V6 it's fun to listen to!

George Bongert August 19th, 2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5Tractorguy (Post 71398)
Been thinking about buying another truck lately. Found a 1968 GMC 3/4 ton, 2WD, 305 V6, 4spd, with a service body (wrong year for this site, but I'm seeking info on the engine). Seems to be in good shape. But before I ask the seller for more info and pictures, how well would this truck do loaded down with tools 'n stuff?

I want to setup a service truck so I can do road calls for tractors... something that I get asked often enough every year, but have to turn down since I don't have a truck equipped for it.

My '61 5000 has the 351 and that seems to do pretty good loaded with tractors, but I never had a chance to drive a pickup with the 305. After I load the boxes with tools, parts and mount a compressor and my Lincoln welder in the back, do you think the 305 will handle it okay?

Not looking to fly down the highway, but it would be nice to pull the secondary roads without having to downshift on the hills around here.

Greetings Tractorguy!

Your 305 will be able to handle it just fine. In my case, we had built high box sides for the purpose of hauling grain. You will note that my truck was a 1963 Chevy 30 (1 Ton Stepside 9' box) that I re-powered with a 1962 GMC 305 V-6. This is one that I wrote down in my notes, as it is a testimonial to the ability of these engines to be absolute work horses. I hauled a load of Winter Wheat to our local grain elevator, and my truck weighed in (without me in the cab) at 13,500 pounds loaded. After unloading the grain, my truck (again without me in the cab) weighed in at 5,250 pounds Empty Weight, which means that I hauled a payload of 8,250 pounds (4 1/8 tons) of Grain in my truck. I didn't even need to use granny low to start the load moving. That old 305 had absolutely no problem whatsoever hauling that load to the elevator, so your 305 should be more than up to the task that you are asking of it.