6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What did you do for your GMC today? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50551)

tbucketnut April 10th, 2020 12:27 AM

Re: What did you do for your GMC today?

This is just too weird, you are in Battleground Im up here in Gig Harbor,
I too have bed off, the bedwood will be here on Monday, Finished my carrier bearing yesterday(had press), three new ujoints, Replaced leaky yoke seal too, all new shackle and leaf spring bushings too. We live in a parallel universe, plus we are both quarantined to home by the same governor. If you are drinking a grape soda while you are reading this, I'm buying a Ouija Board.
Steve

fourhundredorbust April 10th, 2020 06:18 PM

Ha...not drinking grape soda, and, fortunately, I'm still working outside of home due to my job.
After dealing with that carrier bearing I went out and bought a 30 ton press last night; should have bought one a long time ago but always made due with ingenuity or a big hammer. I finally got it off but that bearing was the final straw.

tbucketnut April 10th, 2020 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourhundredorbust (Post 72348)
Ha...not drinking grape soda, and, fortunately, I'm still working outside of home due to my job.
After dealing with that carrier bearing I went out and bought a 30 ton press last night; should have bought one a long time ago but always made due with ingenuity or a big hammer. I finally got it off but that bearing was the final straw.

I wish I would of bought my press 35 years ago, but at least I have been getting some really good use out of it these days. Odd how many people have came over and pressed a few bearings on and off for them. I plan on hitting the filling station in oregon later this year (summer)and pick up some stuff for my 64, if you need anything I can drop it by on the way back.
Steve

mwoodard June 13th, 2020 01:36 AM

work continues on my 1968 GMC fleetside with the 351E V6:
10.) all lights, indicators, blinkers, etc. were repaired
11.) fixed the wipers

I've been hauling quite a bit of sand and gravel lately with this old beast and it does a great job, I love the low end torque of this big displacement V6.

Robert B. June 13th, 2020 01:57 AM

I’m in the process of buffing out my original paint in an effort to preserve what I have left...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...59f46e795e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Snyder June 13th, 2020 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert B. (Post 72690)
I’m in the process of buffing out my original paint in an effort to preserve what I have left...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...59f46e795e.jpg

Interesting assortment of vehicles in the background! Looks like James Dean's Porsche on the left.

Robert B. June 13th, 2020 03:01 AM

That Spyder has the Type IV motor like the 912’s and 914’s. In fact it’s a 1.7 liter out of a 914. Not souped up by any means but still fun. My friends hangar actually, no room for aircraft though[emoji23]

Ed Snyder June 13th, 2020 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert B. (Post 72692)
That Spyder has the Type IV motor like the 912’s and 914’s. In fact it’s a 1.7 liter out of a 914. Not souped up by any means but still fun. My friends hangar actually, no room for aircraft though[emoji23]

I always liked 914s. My son used to have one. My next door neighbor has two of them. One of my son's former neighbors had three of them.

I assume your Spyder is a "tribute" car? Incidentally, my son's email address is Spydersan.

fourhundredorbust June 13th, 2020 07:02 PM

Robert B...I like your vehicle assortment! I too have a split VW...a '65 doublecab. I've been into those a long time. If only I kept my '61 15 window...
Or, I had an opportunity to purchase '65 912 15 years ago in excellent condition for $7k. I didn't have the money then but, if only I had known. Still looking for VWs and a 912.
Anyway, nice truck it is definitely my favorite color of these.

fourhundredorbust June 13th, 2020 07:04 PM

For my update...my bed replacement is almost done. All the wood is fitted and drilled I'm just trying to decide what to finish it with. I don't want to paint it as I want to see the wood grain but pretty tough to find UV resistant clears. I'm leaning towards Sikkens...anyone have any thoughts?