6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What did you do for your GMC today? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50551)

fourhundredorbust December 7th, 2019 02:52 AM

Re: What did you do for your GMC today?

Sorry for a repeat thread but thanks for merging....would this be a candidate thread for a sticky??

mwoodard December 19th, 2019 12:03 AM

I've got an original (but neglected) 1968 GMC 2500 Fleetside Long Bed with a 351E V6 and TH400. I'm the second owner and it currently has 92,000 miles on it.

Over 2019 I completed the following tasks:

1.) rebuilt wood bed
2.) replaced fuel pump
3.) replaced battery
4.) installed new hitch receiver and trailer wiring
5.) replaced cracked thermostat housing
6.) flushed and replaced coolant (32 quarts!)
7.) rebuilt power steering pump
8.) replaced oil and filter
9.) got all of the head lights working properly (new floor switch)

I'm currently replacing the turn signal/hazard switch (the old switch disintegrated) and I'm also diagnosing my lack of running lights.

I love the challenge of bringing this 51 year old truck back to a useful state, it's somehow therapeutic. Many of my neighbors here in the greater Seattle don't quite understand my quest, regardless I soldier on ...

Marty

Ed Snyder December 27th, 2019 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwoodard (Post 71762)
I've got an original (but neglected) 1968 GMC 2500 Fleetside Long Bed with a 351E V6 and TH400. I'm the second owner and it currently has 92,000 miles on it.

Over 2019 I completed the following tasks:

1.) rebuilt wood bed
2.) replaced fuel pump
3.) replaced battery
4.) installed new hitch receiver and trailer wiring
5.) replaced cracked thermostat housing
6.) flushed and replaced coolant (32 quarts!)
7.) rebuilt power steering pump
8.) replaced oil and filter
9.) got all of the head lights working properly (new floor switch)

I'm currently replacing the turn signal/hazard switch (the old switch disintegrated) and I'm also diagnosing my lack of running lights.

I love the challenge of bringing this 51 year old truck back to a useful state, it's somehow therapeutic. Many of my neighbors here in the greater Seattle don't quite understand my quest, regardless I soldier on ...

Marty

Keep up the good work, Marty. We'd love to see photos of your truck. Not many '68s left the factory with V6s. Too many people thought V8s had to be better than V6s. And the GM beancounters thought the V6 was too expensive to produce, thus condemning it to a premature demise.

tbucketnut December 27th, 2019 03:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pretty solid workload there Marty.
Hopefully soon will be able to join you with some more progress on my GMC. I have to first finish assembling an engine for a friends 51 3100, then drop it in and get it so it can travel, then my shop will have some space in it.
I did finish going through a 67 sm420 though recently, all new bearings and a few NOS parts too, that might find its way into my 64, it is the first year for internal backup switch.
Steve

jbgroby December 27th, 2019 03:42 PM

Am working on disconnecting the propellar shaft so we can drop the trans.

Robert B. December 28th, 2019 04:45 AM

Ole, love it - keep truckin’ brother!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fourhundredorbust January 6th, 2020 11:22 PM

Yesterday I fixed both my turn signals and horn button. The turn signal 'ring' inside the steering column was broke so got a new one of those and while in there polished up the horn contacts as the horn rarely worked. Also installed some LED brake/turn signals in the back. They are much brighter so I think I'll get some for the front too.

rusty66 January 7th, 2020 07:03 PM

I managed to take the cover off, check the oil and coolant, fill the
tires and drive 10 miles. The truck did ok.

joedirt January 7th, 2020 08:22 PM

been busy with stuff, new carpet kit, sent seat out for new cover, installing a new msd pro billet ignition system this weekend

fourhundredorbust April 9th, 2020 07:41 PM

Ordered a bed kit and took the bed off. While off noticed the carrier bearing was shot so I replaced that (what a pain not having a press). Then I noticed the trailing arm bushings were shot so replaced those (also a pain!). Then I noticed the pinion seal was leaking so replaced that (fortunately not a pain). Now cleaning up rear frame, and painting and THEN I'll finally start the bed replacement project.