6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Switching out the bench seat (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50433)

ItalOso September 24th, 2018 04:23 PM

Switching out the bench seat

Hello Club Members,
Does anyone have any recommendations to putting in another bench seat, even a 60/40 split without the really high thigh lifts (like in these new supposed bench seats) that look more like the 40/20/40, the 40 being buckets. I have flattened out these lifts in my '14 GMC truck, really uncomfortable.

The 95-99 Yukon bench seat was one of the most comfortable seats I have ever owned in my Yukon, flat but supportive. Just can't seem to search or locate these bench seats or frames online as easily.

In my '64 wideside, I am taking out the seat fuel tank. I can visually see that without the tank, there is about 4 to 6 inches that the seat could go back which would be a huge adjustment for my height of 6'5". The back rest might be a little vertical than reclined which I have taken into consideration.

I have also noticed the gusset that runs above the seat tank, is fairly hollow and by cutting that out and up, I don't want to lose the cabs rear structural strength, but it doesn't seem to have much support at all. I may alter it as slightly as I can.

I have noticed these Rear bench seats that come out of extended GMC trucks. The seat isn't as deep, as my original is almost 24-26" long, and then the thickness of the rear seat on my original is also 6-7" thick. I am installing a smaller wheel along with tilt wheel as well.

For a big & tall man, I need support and wouldn't want to slip off the seat coming to a quick stop. The height of the frame of the seat may also be a factor as well. I have a Muncie SM420 manual transmission with the big hump.

So my main question is, should I stay with a standard front seat or would one of these rear seats work in my restoration? Would there be another model, like from other automakers that will fit the 58-59" width yet still provide more room, support and comfort, backing away from the floorboard and pedals as well?

Any suggestions are appreciated!! I just can't seem to part from this truck, too sentimental.

Thanks! Tom

Funky61 September 24th, 2018 10:26 PM

Re: Switching out the bench seat

1 Attachment(s)
I've read about others using the 88-98 C/K seats because they are the thinnest bench seats and also recommended for Big and Tall.

I think if you use the short-bottom back seat from say an extra cab, you may miss having the thigh support.

You idea of using a smaller diameter wheel and a tilt column are good too. I've known of others cutting down the steering column. Here's a pic of a truck with one of hose seats.

This owner stated he was 6'3" 350lbs and that it came out of a 88 Chevy 1500.

aphaynes September 27th, 2018 01:27 PM

I put an early 2000's (2002 or 2004, I don't remember) 40/20/40 in mine. The tank is still in the cab. Not a lot of clearance from the steering wheel and I am only 5'10". As long as I don't get much fatter, all is well. :ahhhh:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/MN...8=w522-h927-no

ItalOso October 7th, 2018 08:08 PM

I ended up finding a bench seat out of a '92 Suburban, which has a seat length of 19-20" compared to the stock 24-25". The seat is contoured as well, which I will be a bit lower, and the backrest isn't as thick either. Luckily paid $60 for it, which will save on the reupholstery.
The seat frame is the design, slanted open rectangular base as most seats of the '88-'98, maybe beyond, plus it is 14" deep, as the stock seat is about 16-17" so it will fit on the floor just fine, adding a couple of new mounting holes. This will be my winter project.
ItalOso

ItalOso October 7th, 2018 08:09 PM

I should have said a seat "depth" of 19-20". The overall length is still approximately the 58-59", side to side