6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   NOS Find of the year! (so far so good) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50599)

GMCNUT April 17th, 2019 05:28 PM

NOS Find of the year! (so far so good)

2 Attachment(s)
Wanted to share something many people (including myself) have never seen before. These are Rare NOS 62-66 GMC Custom emblems I lucked into a week or two back. As many NOS items as I have seen and collected this was a first.

Many do not know that all 62-66 Custom Cab equipped pickups came with these badges painted in bright Red and White stripes as you see here. Next to no one ever repaints them when I see one at a show online or even on this very forum, so these are definitely the find of the year (so far)NOS or rare part-wise

Neat little piece of history in any case, so for the 6066 GMC historic record, I wanted to show that these definitely came painted Red and White like this - might have some newbies come along one day who need to know this :)

FetchMeAPepsi April 17th, 2019 11:37 PM

Re: NOS Find of the year! (so far so good)

That's so cool! I've never seen any that weren't just chrome.

Ed Snyder April 18th, 2019 01:57 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCNUT (Post 70853)
Many do not know that all 62-66 Custom Cab equipped pickups came with these badges painted in bright Red and White stripes as you see here.
I wanted to show that these definitely came painted Red and White like this - might have some newbies come along one day who need to know this :)

My '62 Suburban has spent most of its life garaged. You can still see the original red and white paint on the Custom emblems, as well as the red and blue on the V6 emblems. My '65 Suburban, on the other hand, spent many years parked on Dad's driveway. The sun baked most of the paint away a long time ago, although you can still see a little of the white.

BobBray April 18th, 2019 08:19 AM

Very nice! Also note how parts came in division-specific packaging, not generic GM boxes. I found an NOS turn signal switch for a friend's '62 Cadillac, and it was in a really nice 'Cadillac' box.

FetchMeAPepsi April 22nd, 2019 01:58 AM

On a related note, my daughter painted my badging a couple of years ago but by this point you can't tell. Is there a special paint that needs to go on them?

GMCNUT May 6th, 2019 02:59 PM

I guess it needs to be acrylic enamel because I found identical color matches in testor model paint and thought since it was on emblems it would be fine, but it does not hold up for squat. Acrilic enamel can be made up in a spray can at automotive paint stores but you have to have codes to mix from or do color scans to match, and emblems don't have enough surface paint to do a match, but I might try spraying some sheet metal with my matches from model paint colors and give them enough surface area to scan the color from

GMCDAC May 27th, 2019 01:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 70889)
On a related note, my daughter painted my badging a couple of years ago but by this point you can't tell. Is there a special paint that needs to go on them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCNUT (Post 70953)
I guess it needs to be acrylic enamel because I found identical color matches in testor model paint and thought since it was on emblems it would be fine, but it does not hold up for squat. Acrilic enamel can be made up in a spray can at automotive paint stores but you have to have codes to mix from or do color scans to match, and emblems don't have enough surface paint to do a match, but I might try spraying some sheet metal with my matches from model paint colors and give them enough surface area to scan the color from

Sign painters "One Shot" is great paint for that kind of thing. Most car and truck guys know of Eastwood, last I knew they carried it. I'm sure a lot of ebay stores have it though. It flows on even better when thinned sparingly with "Penetrol".

I was a sign painter for many years and repainted a lot of emblems for local restorers. Never had any complaints.

Sorry I don't post much, but I still don't own one of the great GMC's from this era. Still love all the old GMC's though!

DAC

bigblockv6 May 27th, 2019 06:00 AM

Sign Painters "One Shot" is a good product but if using it's a good idea would be to add some Catalyst to it to increase it's longevity because it too will just fade out in a few years.