6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1964 GMC "crustine" semi-build. (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48773)

TJ's GMC June 29th, 2016 02:38 PM

Re: 1964 GMC "crustine" semi-build.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 62536)
Does it work?

Hi Ed, Don't know if it works or not. I'm going to hook up some power to it this evening and see if it does. It if doesn't a guy on another forum gave some tips on cleaning the insides.

jturk June 30th, 2016 12:25 PM

TJ,
Really like what you're doing with your truck. Also really like your gusto and enthusiasm when it comes to these great GMC's. Keep up the great work and look forward to your posts.

TJ's GMC June 30th, 2016 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jturk (Post 62549)
TJ,
Really like what you're doing with your truck. Also really like your gusto and enthusiasm when it comes to these great GMC's. Keep up the great work and look forward to your posts.

Thanks man! I've always enjoyed unique and different. :thumbsup: I tend not to follow the crowd. haha

TJ's GMC July 21st, 2016 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My new MSD box showed up yesterday. Little spendy, but thought it would be interesting to try out. Will work well in the RPM range of these engines. Now I have to order new plug wires because this box does not work well with solid core plug wires. :pullinghairout: Oh well....guess they just try and get ya where ever they can!

bigblockv6 July 21st, 2016 10:49 PM

So it looks like you'll have to use resistor wires, let me know how it works out. Wonder if it will work with the setup I got in my HEI? It's got an MSD coil and a MSD Digital Module with rev limiter:helpsign:

TJ's GMC July 22nd, 2016 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 62921)
So it looks like you'll have to use resistor wires, let me know how it works out. Wonder if it will work with the setup I got in my HEI? It's got an MSD coil and a MSD Digital Module with rev limiter:helpsign:

Should work fine with yours. It is for points and hei setups. Gives several sparks instead of just one. Pretty cool. :thumbsup:

bigblockv6 July 22nd, 2016 02:55 AM

That's what I heard, it actually fires the plugs even when they don't need to be fired!:thumbsup:

TJ's GMC July 22nd, 2016 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 62923)
That's what I heard, it actually fires the plugs even when they don't need to be fired!:thumbsup:

And if not wired correctly....will allow the engine to stay running weather the key is on or off! :ahhhh: Got my "correct" plug wires in. Universals so I gotta cut to fit. Nice set though.

TJ's GMC July 25th, 2016 12:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, wiring my MSD box in as I type. lol Did get all connections wired up and man she runs and is more responsive than before! Excited for a test run!

TJ's GMC July 25th, 2016 04:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I got the box loomed up and wired in. Works nicely! Have some retuning to do and I need to gap the plugs a bit wider, but the engine idles really smooth and it is Very responsive....2nd gear pulls so fast I can't shift fast enough! Will report again and get a video soon. I really don't like hammering on this engine as I am trying to make it last as long as possible. haha Main reason I do these mods is to see how efficient they are.

MSD box: $225(discounted). $249.95 without.

Plug wires: $46 MSD Street Fire 8.0 spiral core universals.

Time: 5 hours installing.

Worth it? Depends on how much you expect. I feel like it gets better throttle response, little better acceleration, starts better, and smoother idle. Also doesn't back fire when slowing down either. Like said, I am sure gapping the plugs a bit wider will help as they come around .035 to .040 and I could push .060 if I wanted to! I did check the spark from the coil to the valve cover.....and needless to say it left burn marks on the paint. haha Not much effort either.