6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Started build on a 66’ (Photo Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50184)

bigboar March 1st, 2018 03:28 PM

Re: Started build on a 66’ (Photo Heavy)

5 Attachment(s)
More progress!
All i have left to finish on the body is the fenders and grille mounting panel.
Starting to feel like its getting somewhere.

1965GMCK1502 March 1st, 2018 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigboar (Post 68844)
More progress!
All i have left to finish on the body is the fenders and grille mounting panel.
Starting to feel like its getting somewhere.

Sweet!

bigboar March 2nd, 2018 04:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Tank installed and did some powdercoating this morning so i can put the upper vents in and install windshield monday.

bigboar March 6th, 2018 02:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Glass installed. In the process of disassembling wing vents and powdercoating them along with door latches.

bigboar March 21st, 2018 05:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
starting to look like a truck again...

bigboar March 26th, 2018 03:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More progress. Decided to powder coat my new door handles black because i didnt like the look of the chrome with how i am doing the truck. Got battery tray installed along with new cable ends also.

bigboar April 2nd, 2018 10:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
making more headway. powdercoated lamp housings, cab vents and all the brackets for glovebox. installed mirror, carpet and heat control. i still have to pull the carpet back up to run a bunch more wiring for the stereo but I at least got it all trimmed out. Hoping to have the interior close to being finished this week except for the digital dash.

bigboar April 2nd, 2018 10:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
more photos..forgot i also drilled for passenger sun visor and got both those installed also.

bigboar April 4th, 2018 11:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More interior work finished..

bigboar April 4th, 2018 11:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Third brake light installed

Sonic65 April 5th, 2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigboar (Post 69021)
Third brake light installed

Nice! What make/model is the brake light?

bigboar April 6th, 2018 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic65 (Post 69025)
Nice! What make/model is the brake light?

Thanks sonic! I believe it is off 99-04 suburban, Yukon. Here is the ebay link I got mine from. It is very nice and they fit like they were made for our trucks.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

bigboar April 12th, 2018 05:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Decided I better upgrade the wiring and after about 20 hours of work in the evenings here is what I ended up with. I wanted to keep all the old connections so I bought new packard 56 male and female connectors to install the new wiring into the original connectors. I also added a connection point for the digital dash.

bigboar April 12th, 2018 10:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got a little accomplished this afternoon. Started getting harness installed and got to see the dash lit up.

bigboar April 16th, 2018 09:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Air ride controls installed. Also finished radio, electronic speedo, temp, tach, and oil pressure connections.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

src="https://

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

bigboar April 23rd, 2018 08:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
dash finished up and seat installed.

bigboar April 28th, 2018 10:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Sprayed bedliner yesterday and this morning I stained my bed wood with minwax true black. Still have to lay down 3 coats of satin clear but I am diggin’ the look.

Funky61 April 29th, 2018 03:56 AM

This is an Awesome Build; Thanks and keep posting them pics!

bigboar April 29th, 2018 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky61 (Post 69122)
This is an Awesome Build; Thanks and keep posting them pics!

thanks Funky, much appreciated! I feel like I am taking to myself most of the time but its cool going back through it and having a record of my progress.

1965GMCK1502 April 29th, 2018 02:40 PM

Coming out great! That v6 is gonna shine in the truck. You may be introducing that engine to a whole new generation. :welldone:

bigboar April 29th, 2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965GMCK1502 (Post 69126)
Coming out great! That v6 is gonna shine in the truck. You may be introducing that engine to a whole new generation. :welldone:

thanks bro!

bigboar May 2nd, 2018 12:09 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Its starting to look like a truck again!

bigboar May 6th, 2018 12:20 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Finally,,,,bed floor completed and It now has taillights too!

bigboar May 24th, 2018 02:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Its starting to get its face...

bigboar May 26th, 2018 08:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got the bumpers on and got my backup light and plate lights wired. Also got both my jr west coast mirrors installed which I powder coated black. I even got to start it and pull it out of the shop today for the first time in what seems like forever!👍. Will probably have to do a couple posts for all the photos.

bigboar May 26th, 2018 08:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The rest...

bigboar June 29th, 2018 11:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
In the process of building the exhaust. Driver side finished, on to the passenger side.

src="https://

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Funky61 June 30th, 2018 12:21 AM

BigBoar; That Looks and Sounds Fantastic! What mufflers are you running? Love the Low level Cycling tone. :welldone:

bigboar June 30th, 2018 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky61 (Post 69390)
BigBoar; That Looks and Sounds Fantastic! What mufflers are you running? Love the Low level Cycling tone. :welldone:

Thanks funky! They are Thrush welded mufflers 17656. if you use a 25% coupon you can get them for $30ea. at advance auto parts.

bigboar August 4th, 2018 11:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Almost done! Finally got to test drive it today. Have to figure out why front brake calipers are dragging and get a wheel alignment and it is ready for the road!! finally....

3/4ton Randy September 7th, 2018 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigboar (Post 69279)
Got the bumpers on and got my backup light and plate lights wired. Also got both my jr west coast mirrors installed which I powder coated black. I even got to start it and pull it out of the shop today for the first time in what seems like forever!��. Will probably have to do a couple posts for all the photos.

I need some west coast mirrors, too! The small back window limits visibility.:well done:
How was your drive? And how did your power steering come out?

bigboar September 9th, 2018 02:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3/4ton Randy (Post 69685)
I need some west coast mirrors, too! The small back window limits visibility.:well done:
How was your drive? And how did your power steering come out?

Thanks! I have now been on multiple trips and I gotta say, the air ride is awesome. Also, the shop I had do the alignment did an awesome job. The truck far exceeded my expectations for driveability and I have taken 4 people rides and all have commented they can’t believe how well it rides. The 2.73 gear in the rear worked out about perfect. I was running 65 the other day and if I remember right it was humming along at around 2k rpms. The powers steering is great. It reminds me of an 85 Camaro I had. It’s not too easy but just enough and feels tight like that car did.

I just purchased a 54 I am gonna be starting soon. It will have a speedway chassis with ford 9” four link and rack and pinion. This one is getting a ride tech air ride setup and a 383 stroker with a 700r4. I will be doing this one gloss and powder coating the chassis, etc. I already bought a ford 9” and took the third member from it to put in the speedway housing that has curry axles. I am done powdercoating it and in the process of installing 3.70 gear along with an Eaton true track position carrier. This is all for another thread but here is a before and after of it.