6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New to the forum... (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51156)

cowboygunner July 3rd, 2021 02:01 PM

New to the forum...

1 Attachment(s)
Admins - thanks for the add. Snagged this hoss a few weeks ago. Thoroughly enjoying it. It has the 351 V-6 (31 years on the last rebuild). Still going strong. Happy to be here. Looks like finding parts is a bit of a challenge.

cowboygunner July 3rd, 2021 02:12 PM

Re: New to the forum...

1 Attachment(s)
Engine...

Funky61 July 3rd, 2021 03:32 PM

Welcome CowBoyGunner!

Beautiful Truck you have there and I like the color and clearance lights too.

Which transmission are you running?

How about some pics of the interior? :welcome:

LEWISMATKIN July 3rd, 2021 03:50 PM

Welcome to the forum, cowboygunner!!!! Great looking truck!!!!

FetchMeAPepsi July 3rd, 2021 04:06 PM

She's a pretty one. The parts can be tough sometimes but most of them are available in nooks and crannies all over. The big deal seems to be finding pistons and rings, but you can find a donor sometimes and just swap the parts or the whole engine and stay pure.

Lets see some more pics!

cowboygunner July 3rd, 2021 10:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thank you everyone! Good to be here! Regarding the tranny, not quite sure yet. Still doing my research. It is a 5-speed manual. Weird shift pattern. Replete with granny first, and reverse is all the way to the right and up. Not sure what series 351, either. Based on what I have read, it appears to be an "E."

Ed Snyder July 3rd, 2021 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboygunner (Post 74277)
Thank you everyone! Good to be here! Regarding the tranny, not quite sure yet. Still doing my research. It is a 5-speed manual. Weird shift pattern. Replete with granny first, and reverse is all the way to the right and up. Not sure what series 351, either. Based on what I have read, it appears to be an "E."

Welcome to the forum! It would appear that your "new" truck has received a major makeover recently. The exterior, interior, and under hood are all too nice to be almost 60 years old. And most '62s have clear front turn signal lenses.

You're probably aware that our light-duty trucks never came with a 5 speed manual. Regarding which engine you have, check out this page from Jolly's site --

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Keep the posts and photos coming!

cowboygunner July 4th, 2021 01:53 AM

Still learning, Ed. Thanks for the info and the link. Much appreciated, sir!

cowboygunner July 4th, 2021 02:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I stand corrected. Looks like it is the standard 351. Should there be a number behind the stamp (serial or engine number)? Just wondering...

cowboygunner July 4th, 2021 02:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is on the driver's side door. Back when label makers were built to last...

Ed Snyder July 4th, 2021 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboygunner (Post 74280)
I stand corrected. Looks like it is the standard 351. Should there be a number behind the stamp (serial or engine number)? Just wondering...

Original engines had a serial number stamped after the engine size, but a lot of the replacement engines did not. You've got either a "C" engine, or an "E" engine. The C would be a non-Magnum engine with a rectangular carburetor mounting bolt pattern. The E is a Magnum engine with bigger intake and exhaust ports and a trapezoid-shaped carb bolt pattern. Now I'm curious which engine you have!

LEWISMATKIN July 4th, 2021 02:27 AM

ed, judging from the picture of the engine, it having the
"WW" stromberg, it is either built to the std. or the "C" configuration.

Ed Snyder July 4th, 2021 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEWISMATKIN (Post 74284)
ed, judging from the picture of the engine, it having the
"WW" stromberg, it is either built to the std. or the "C" configuration.

You're right, Lewis. The 351E would have a WWC Stromberg, not the WW.

cowboygunner July 4th, 2021 12:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The carb bolt pattern is rectangular - either a standard or the C. Thank you Ed and Lewis!

cowboygunner July 4th, 2021 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Was able to decode the VIN as well...so this would be a "K1500?"

LEWISMATKIN July 4th, 2021 07:46 PM

Decoder is wrong. K=4wd; 1502= 3/4 ton long w/b; C=plant truck is built in; j=1962 model; 2536=actual number of truck produced on this production line

Ed Snyder July 5th, 2021 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEWISMATKIN (Post 74290)
Decoder is wrong. K=4wd; 1502= 3/4 ton long w/b; C=plant truck is built in; j=1962 model; 2536=actual number of truck produced on this production line

Not sure where you got that decoder, Cowboy, but Lewis is right. You can find more info on Jolly's site here --

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

One more thing -- you might want to change your truck ID in the upper right corner of your posts to say "3/4 ton" rather than "1/2 ton".

Funky61 July 5th, 2021 01:22 AM

That decoder is something new I recently found on the a Jolly Site

Jeannie July 5th, 2021 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEWISMATKIN (Post 74290)

Hi Lewis!

You are right about the tonnage. The VIN decoder had a duplicate output for half ton pickups, indicating both the 1500 and the 2500 as half ton models. This is now corrected. However, to my knowledge and per Jolly's research the designation for wideside or stepside was never coded into the VIN for GMC. If this is wrong and you have the decoding for this we can add it to the decoder.

Thanks!

-Jeannie
6066 GMC Club

cowboygunner July 5th, 2021 10:55 PM

Thank you all for the flow of information! Looks like I found the right forum. Have a great evening!

LEWISMATKIN July 5th, 2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeannie (Post 74294)
Hi Lewis!

You are right about the tonnage. The VIN decoder had a duplicate output for half ton pickups, indicating both the 1500 and the 2500 as half ton models. This is now corrected. However, to my knowledge and per Jolly's research the designation for wideside or stepside was never coded into the VIN for GMC. If this is wrong and you have the decoding for this we can add it to the decoder.

Thanks!

-Jeannie
6066 GMC Club

jeannie, as far as i know with the resources i have available, GMC never coded stepside or wideside in their vin #'s

Ed Snyder July 6th, 2021 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeannie (Post 74294)
Hi Lewis!

You are right about the tonnage. The VIN decoder had a duplicate output for half ton pickups, indicating both the 1500 and the 2500 as half ton models. This is now corrected.

Thanks!

-Jeannie
6066 GMC Club

Hi Jeannie --

The decoder is still wrong. It should show the following --

1000 = half ton
1500 = three quarter ton (not half ton)
2500 = one ton (not three quarter ton)

Too many people don't realize that 1500 didn't become the half ton rating until 1967, and 2500 became the three quarter ton rating then as well.

Jeannie July 6th, 2021 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 74297)
Hi Jeannie --

The decoder is still wrong. It should show the following --

1000 = half ton
1500 = three quarter ton (not half ton)
2500 = one ton (not three quarter ton)

Too many people don't realize that 1500 didn't become the half ton rating until 1967, and 2500 became the three quarter ton rating then as well.

Updated.There was a disconnect between short and long beds. Thanks Ed!

cowboygunner August 21st, 2021 02:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Good day all! Hope everyone is good with all the chaos in the world right now. Hoping to get some advice. I believe my carburetor is cursed. Hoss won't start. I have good flow all the way to the carburetor, but it is bone dry on top. I removed it, and flipped it over and a good amount of fuel poured out of it. The grumpy little dude has already caused one fire that ruined a brand new paint job with the previous owner, and it is starting to exhibit the same things now. Any recommendations for a newer, more efficient and reliable replacement? I don't even want to try to rebuild it. Thanks in advance!

cowboygunner August 21st, 2021 06:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I found Dennis' Holley 500 CFM Project on the page. Anyone else swapped out their Stromberg for a Holley? My manifold doesn't have a trapezoidal base. Must be from a 305.

Funky61 August 21st, 2021 07:19 PM

Many have used the same intake you have and here is the classic post from the archives from Pete Chronis

cowboygunner August 21st, 2021 07:29 PM

Thanks Funky61. Looks like the Mr. Gasket Adapter 720-1937 is not available anywhere until the end of October. Wow. I did find a suitable alternative - appears to be a substitute. Summit Racing - TRD-2086: Trans-Dapt Performance Products Adapter. Slightly more expensive but looks identical. I snatched one quick. There are only 7 left now.

cowboygunner September 16th, 2021 12:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
So much for plug and play...my new carburetor is installed. Everything was proceeding fine until I tried to hook up the manual choke. It is now a few inches short due to being on the other side now. I would have thought that Holley would have finished the fuel inlet fitting, but it is just a big hole in the side. There were a ton of trinkets in the box (everything except for what I need). Does anyone know what type of fitting is required (size and thread)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

James September 16th, 2021 12:24 PM

You would need the bowl fitting (maybe, if the one you have is for a 3/8" tube you will need this)

and the line.

Here is a selection of choke cable.

Hope this help.

cowboygunner September 16th, 2021 11:57 PM

That is a huge help, James. Exactly what I need. Thank you so much!

jagarra September 17th, 2021 08:13 PM

For hooking up the choke cable, my dash had some unused holes on the right side of the column with caps on them, I just moved the cable assembly to that side and it reached the side of the carburetor.

cowboygunner September 19th, 2021 12:56 AM

Thanks jagarra. It has been moved. It is actually easier to install on the right side and right next to the ignition switch now. Found out the original was broken, so I bought a quick fix at O'Reilly's. It will do for now. Hoping it will loosen up a bit over time.