6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   60 gmc 5000 grain truck 351c (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50460)

Tyjohnson October 14th, 2018 05:05 AM

60 gmc 5000 grain truck 351c

I'm looking at picking up a cab over grain truck with a 351c v6. Today I got it running and moved it around a little bit, but I don't have the means right now to take delivery (maybe after winter). The guy bought it back in 2008 and he never moved it after that.

The plan is to make a trailer out of the grain body and then make a car hauler out of the rest (some day).

I do have a few questions.
1) This truck has independent front suspension with Dayton wheels, which i would really like to keep the ifs. Does anyone know if the hubs can be changed over for an aluminum rim?

2) Does anyone have good glass? I think someone shot it with a bb gun.

3) Would there be anyone interested in the motor? The odometer shows 6600 miles but I'm not sure if it works, and I can't remember the hour meter off hand but it wasn't much.

Thanks

BillT October 15th, 2018 02:30 AM

Re: 60 gmc 5000 grain truck 351c

Sounds like an interesting truck.

Take some pictures for us when you can.

That 351 is a good engine.

One of the best parts of the truck, lol.

FetchMeAPepsi October 15th, 2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyjohnson (Post 69968)
I'm looking at picking up a cab over grain truck with a 351c v6. Today I got it running and moved it around a little bit, but I don't have the means right now to take delivery (maybe after winter). The guy bought it back in 2008 and he never moved it after that.

The plan is to make a trailer out of the grain body and then make a car hauler out of the rest (some day).

I do have a few questions.
1) This truck has independent front suspension with Dayton wheels, which i would really like to keep the ifs. Does anyone know if the hubs can be changed over for an aluminum rim?

2) Does anyone have good glass? I think someone shot it with a bb gun.

3) Would there be anyone interested in the motor? The odometer shows 6600 miles but I'm not sure if it works, and I can't remember the hour meter off hand but it wasn't much.

Thanks

1. I can't help you there
2. Glass can be had but it's all from Mexico now. I think it has a blue tint to it. If you're wanting it to look its best, have a windshield shop make you some.
3. If you're don't want that motor I'm sure you can find someone to take it. Put it in the classifieds and someone will haul it off for you. If it works. You said you got it to move around, so I think that means you did?
Those engines used to pull school buses, tractor trailers, all kinds of things. If it runs it'll haul whatever car you think you'll be pulling around easily. If you were closer I'd come pick it up.

Tyjohnson October 16th, 2018 12:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It fired up really easy just needed the points cleaned up and some fresh gas. Someone at one time put an electric fuel pump on it by passing the original pump, and it still has the oil bath style air filter. Of course I don't really know the motor but what would a reasonable asking price be for the 351c?
Thanks,

FetchMeAPepsi October 16th, 2018 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyjohnson (Post 69982)
It fired up really easy just needed the points cleaned up and some fresh gas. Someone at one time put an electric fuel pump on it by passing the original pump, and it still has the oil bath style air filter. Of course I don't really know the motor but what would a reasonable asking price be for the 351c?
Thanks,

The 351 is worth about $75.00 if you want to sell it.
The bigger question is:
You're cutting THAT up? :poke:
What's wrong with you man? Why not just pee on the Mona Lisa?

BillT October 16th, 2018 02:45 AM

Nice looking truck.

Wasn't expecting it to look that good.

Ed Snyder October 16th, 2018 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyjohnson (Post 69982)
Thanks,

That 6600 mile engine isn't even broken in yet. These V6 engines are good for at least 500,000 miles prior to needing an overhaul, provided they're maintained properly and not abused. It would be a crime to pull it from that good looking truck. Just my opinion.

Tyjohnson October 18th, 2018 01:10 PM

I have a motor and trans out of a modern school bus so the idea would be to switch over to diesel, mostly for the power and fuel mileage. I would like to stretch the wheelbase, lower it down and make a box truck out of it to haul the race cars. I was thinking of finding an old refrigerator trailer with the stainless sides, but I passed a hopper bottom out here the other day and I think those sides would look good on a longer frame.

I'm in the process of ground breaking for a garage so hopefully in the next year ill have the space to work. It would be handy to have a dump trailer so that is the plan is this winter.

POWERSTROKE October 20th, 2018 02:30 PM

What's your truck have for a transmission? 4 or 5 speed, 2-speed axle? My guess would be 5+2. It's even Tu-Toned red & white!

If miles and hours match, think the hour meter in the tach used 100,000 crankshaft revolutions as one operating hour, I wouldn't cut it up, 6600 miles is probably correct. Way too nice of a Survivor to cut up. Buy a Binder with a DT466E and an Allison in it and cut it up. There's Thousands of those for sale.

Tyjohnson October 25th, 2018 11:59 PM

5 speed with a 2 speed rear. I do need to figure out the brake pedal/master cylinder, someone striped the threads off the cap plug. It is a nice truck but it would be really neat as a hauler.