6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Market for GMC V6 parts (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51419)

geasson September 4th, 2022 04:51 PM

Market for GMC V6 parts

My father was a GMC dealer from 1954 to 2004. He is gone now and we will be cleaning out his shop and various storage sheds. Everything is a mess now, thanks to my idiot nephew and so I am trying to see what the V6 parts might be worth and is it worth the effort to go through is all and separate those out. I think I know enough to sort it, but wanted the opinion of members on this board as to whether or not it is worth the time. I have no idea how much there is, but i know of at least two short blocks and some heads. There is a dark back room that may hold more.

Funky61 September 4th, 2022 08:21 PM

Re: Market for GMC V6 parts

Geasson, I feel it would be worthwhile to sort through the V6 parts and see what you discover.

FetchMeAPepsi September 4th, 2022 08:24 PM

I agree. Go to the Marketplace section, take pictures of what you have, and post it up. Some of us have been looking for specific hard to find parts for ages. You might have some real treasures in there. And if not, you've lost an afternoon and got to handle some of the stuff your dad got to handle. Count that as a win in any book.

jagarra September 4th, 2022 11:22 PM

I am sure there will be a lot of takers for items you run across. If you need assistance in IDing items I am sure that members here would be happy to assist you. Don't forget the oldgmctrucks.com folks as they have vehicles going back to when your father started dealing in GMCs.

geasson September 5th, 2022 03:30 AM

I want to go through it, but it is going to be more than an afternoon. I will post what I find here.

GMCv6inND September 7th, 2022 02:55 AM

I agree with everyone also - v6 parts are hard to find and so are many gmc-specific parts, in general. Please take the time and list your parts on the site - we would all appreciate it and you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing parts your Father dealt in are getting put to the proper use :)

Mike Caldwell October 4th, 2022 10:05 PM

I just found out I need some oversize 401 pistons and custom ones are $$$$$ so I'm very interested!!!

Also a 351 camshaft :helpsign:

Pix and numbers and the guys here can help you figure out what you've got.

Let the hoping begin!! Good Luck.

Want some help??? Some of us might be close enough to help. (I'm 6 hours away :( )

WE7X October 5th, 2022 06:25 AM

From my experience with finding old NOS parts....it is a lot of work; but the 'community' is always looking for that stuff, and it is usually worth the effort to identify the parts and make them available.
V6 Internal engine parts are generally getting difficult to find, and some are just plain not available.
I would happily drive a full day, and spend a couple of nights in a motel, to just be able to help, but unfortunately I am in the Seattle area, so a day on the road is not much help this time.
It might be worth hiring some young people to help make lists of any parts that can be easily identified with part numbers.

Best wishes on a challenging project
Rod J
Issaquah, WA

LEWISMATKIN October 6th, 2022 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell (Post 76196)
I just found out I need some oversize 401 pistons and custom ones are $$$$$ so I'm very interested!!!

Also a 351 camshaft :helpsign:

Pix and numbers and the guys here can help you figure out what you've got.

Let the hoping begin!! Good Luck.

Want some help??? Some of us might be close enough to help. (I'm 6 hours away :( )

i have a e-bay listing for the 401 pistons you need. the item # is 142988569315, he wants 350.00 per set, and goes from std. to .060 o/s.

Mike Caldwell October 6th, 2022 07:28 AM

Many thanks!!! My eBay searches didn't find that. If I can get the other head off today and see if there are any problems on the other bank I'll see if .040 over will be possible.