6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Mini-Meets/Get-Togethers (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47932)

RustyNut December 12th, 2013 01:00 AM

Mini-Meets/Get-Togethers

Since I joined the group (10+?) years ago I have always promoted the idea of all members to try and organize "Mini-Meets". I have hosted/promoted a couple & attended quite a few. There is no better excuse to travel & meet new folks! And the good thing is the folks you meet all have one good thing in common..... They love these trucks!!!!!

I can honestly say that the 20 or 30 members I have met at these meets all seem to be "Good People". Over the years a few of these folks I have met have turned into what I consider real friends.

I hope everyone here thinks about trying to promote/organize a "Mini-Meet" in your area. Throw the idea out there and see what happens. Might be 2 or 3 folks, might get 6 or 10, may be the blow-out extravaganza of the century (Highly doubtful, but hey who knows).

With that being said, Are there any folks in the Midwest that would be willing to try and get together sometime this summer? Depending on response and location I can try to find a central location to try and accomodate as many as possible.

If interested in a Midwest Mini Meet contact me direct at

RustyNut63@sbcglobal.net

Take Care ALL!

Rusty

FetchMeAPepsi December 12th, 2013 01:56 AM

Re: Mini-Meets/Get-Togethers

I'm in depending on how midwest you wanna get. I dont know how far into MO I can get cecilia but I got AAA so what the heck! Let's do somethin and I'll bring the Powder Puff :bananadance::bananadance::bananadance:

I should look into a new set of tires too, come to think of it. Somethin stock-lookin but still radial...

RustyNut December 12th, 2013 02:02 AM

We have our 1st potential "attendee". At this point the site for the mini meet will be either KC or Topeka. Location subject to change as more voice there interesting in attending. Once location is "set in stone" we will work on dates.

Come one, come all!!!!!!!!!!

Clarke December 12th, 2013 03:52 AM

My inlaws live in Topeka, so I can kill two birds with one stone. :)

Ed Snyder December 12th, 2013 05:39 AM

If you were to have it in Wichita, I'm sure my 89 year old Dad would be there with the one ton Suburban he bought new in 1965. I doubt if he'd spend the gas money to drive it all the way to Topeka, let alone KC. I'd probably even fly in to combine the mini-meet with a visit with my folks.

RustyNut December 13th, 2013 12:08 AM

OK folks. Ed is one of the "good people/friends" I mentioned meeting in my initial post. With that being said I propose a "Mini-Meet" location of Wichita. How many folks would be willing to travel to Wichita?

FetchMeAPepsi December 13th, 2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyNut (Post 51460)
OK folks. Ed is one of the "good people/friends" I mentioned meeting in my initial post. With that being said I propose a "Mini-Meet" location of Wichita. How many folks would be willing to travel to Wichita?

Sure we can try Wichita! Still in!:thumbsup:

RustyNut December 13th, 2013 01:02 AM

After a little searching on the interweb I found what I feel might be a good date for this Mini-Meet. Saturday July 12. Our Mini-Meet would be in conjunction with the 20th Annual Automobilia Moonlight Car Show & Street Party.

WOW I wonder how politically correct that is? Street Party & Car Show? How are all these "party" goers supposed to get home...Oh I forgot....In the Hot Rods they drove to the show.........

Anyway the show is from 6pm to Midnight, but I would hope we could all meet earlier on Saturday and then attend the show as a group. I have e-mailed the promotor of the show and am hoping for more info & I will keep all informed as I learn more.

Rusty

FetchMeAPepsi December 13th, 2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyNut (Post 51462)
After a little searching on the interweb I found what I feel might be a good date for this Mini-Meet. Saturday July 12. Our Mini-Meet would be in conjunction with the 20th Annual Automobilia Moonlight Car Show & Street Party.

WOW I wonder how politically correct that is? Street Party & Car Show? How are all these "party" goers supposed to get home...Oh I forgot....In the Hot Rods they drove to the show.........

Anyway the show is from 6pm to Midnight, but I would hope we could all meet earlier on Saturday and then attend the show as a group. I have e-mailed the promotor of the show and am hoping for more info & I will keep all informed as I learn more.

Rusty

for us we'd need to head back around 3 to make it home safe and by the Puff's bedtime, but that's OK. We're not much "after dark" kinda people anyway. You guys take some pics for us though!

Clarke December 13th, 2013 02:20 AM

I'm still in.

Ed Snyder December 13th, 2013 02:25 AM

I can get one of my brothers who lives in Wichita to find us a good location -- maybe a nearby park with picnic shelters -- something that can be reserved hopefully.

I'm definitely in.

6066gmcguy December 14th, 2013 04:53 PM

I already got one planed for next summer too, in Northern Utah.

Howlin' at the Moon Truck & Car Show

Saturday, June 14, 2014 at 5:00 pm to Midnight.

Jolly's Truck & Car Show Page {Facebook} in Honeyville, Utah

This Show Will go on into the Night under the Full Moon. There will be a Vehicle Lighting Contest. To Be Held at the Y-Farm Red Shed on Highway 38, Honeyville Utah Area.

FetchMeAPepsi December 14th, 2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6066gmcguy (Post 51466)
I already got one planed for next summer too, in Northern Utah.

Howlin' at the Moon Truck & Car Show

Saturday, June 14, 2014 at 5:00 pm to Midnight.

Jolly's Truck & Car Show Page {Facebook} in Honeyville, Utah

Id really like to get up there too once my truck is running better maybe summer after next. Id like to see the rescue truck face to face. That sucker is awesome! Might have to take out a second mortgage for gas :lolflag:

Ed Snyder December 14th, 2013 10:16 PM

Summer after next (2015) will be time for our 15 year Jamboree at Jolly's place. Let's hope for a big turnout this time! You all have lots of time to save up your gas money.

6066gmcguy December 14th, 2013 10:27 PM

Yep, 15 year mark will be 2015, but I'm trying for new show style where we can have a vehicale lighting contest, so this is why I'm going to be putting on the show this next summer, I have the Red Barn locked down for June 14th as of today, and the is only 2 nights after the full moon, which is a good time to have a night show. Should be fun so you should be planning now to come out if you anywere close to Utah.

RustyNut December 17th, 2013 01:41 AM

So you planning this in addition to (or insteadof) the 15 yr wing-ding?

6066gmcguy December 17th, 2013 01:48 AM

I'm planing is as a General Truck & Car show next summer, 2014, from 5pm to Midnight, the next year, 2015, I could do a a combined 15 year Jamboree thingy and if this works out and General show to follow on the same day, like a 6066 GMC Thing in the morning and then let every one else come later that afternoon.

FetchMeAPepsi December 17th, 2013 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6066gmcguy (Post 51477)
like a 6066 GMC Thing in the morning and then let every one else come later that afternoon.

There's something besides 6066 GMCs? :headscratch:
Nu huh!

RustyNut December 17th, 2013 02:09 AM

Count me out on the 2014...... But hey, I made the 5 & 10 yr..... Chances are I'll be at the 15. With or without a truck!!!!

Nate December 29th, 2013 03:10 PM

I am planning to attend the Wichita Mini-Meet July 12, I am not sure if my truck will be ready by then but I am sure I would enjoy visiting with you folks.
A get together earlier in the day at a park sounds good and attending the show later.

1967 GMC 4500 305E

6066gmcguy February 7th, 2014 04:13 AM

Here is something else I'm going to include at my show this June, Valve Cover racing. I have one racer built and the Plaid One just needs the wheels installed.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...ps95380a3e.jpg

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...ps355ca19d.jpg

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...pse7611cc5.jpg

I'll need to build a track next. so if you plan on coming out this June, build a Valve/Rocker Cover Racer. Search the web for pics to get you going. I also uploaded pics of my build to the albums section.

Ed Snyder February 10th, 2014 06:05 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Speaking of valve cover racing, some of the members of our Southern Oregon Chevy/GMC Truck Club sponsor valve cover racing at the annual Rogue Valley Rod & Custom Show which happened to be this weekend. The money they collect for racing gets donated to a children's charity. One of our members is a very talented fabricator and built the track at his home garage. I took a few photos to give Jolly some ideas:

6066gmcguy February 15th, 2014 03:42 PM

Thanks Ed, looks great!!

Ed Snyder April 11th, 2014 06:03 AM

Rusty Nut (Dave Schlager) is still having problems posting to the forum, so I'm taking over for him organizing the summer mini-meet in Wichita.

So far we have Fetch, Clarke, Rusty Nut, Nate, and me planning to attend. Hopefully we can get a few more of you too. If you can't bring your GMC, come anyway and bring photos of it to share.

My brother in Wichita is recommending a nice park where he's attended a BMW meet before: http://www.wichita.gov/Government/De...eePrairie.aspx. He'll check to make sure it's available when we want it.

Now we need to establish a date. Let's rule out Father's Day weekend and 4th of July weekend. Rusty said he can make it any other date as can I. Fetch, David, and Nate (and any other potential attendees) -- are there any dates when you cannot make it? Any particular date you would prefer? Is a Saturday or a Sunday better for everybody? Now's the time to cast your votes!

Nate April 19th, 2014 02:08 AM

I will not be able to make it to the Wichita mini-meet on July 12 as I have a wedding to attend that was scheduled (last week) after our earlier discussion. I agree that 4th July weekend will not work.
I would really like to attend the mini-meet but I must go to the wedding.

Foley April 20th, 2014 11:22 PM

Ed, et all, I'll be driving from Northern Ca over to Huron, SD and will be there around 25-28th of June. If the date you pick is anywhere in front of or at the end of that time period, I'd be happy to try and scoot down 520 miles to the Wichita area for the meet.

Foley,
Greenwood, CA

FetchMeAPepsi April 23rd, 2014 02:16 PM

Cecilia's down right now but if she's up and running we're good for any day that's not Father's Day. :thumbsup:

aphaynes April 23rd, 2014 02:35 PM

Gotta relocate you folks to the Southeast! :lolflag:

Clarke April 24th, 2014 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 52915)
So far we have Fetch, Clarke, Rusty Nut, Nate, and me planning to attend. Hopefully we can get a few more of you too. If you can't bring your GMC, come anyway and bring photos of it to share.

Hello All... Thank you Ed for the PM. Sorry, I've been really busy lately so I haven't had the time to keep up with all the discussions.

Yes, count me in. I'm good with what works best for the majority; I will plan around it. I look forward to putting faces with names. I don't know that I will have my '63 Winne completed by then, but my GMC is on the road.

Again, thank you for coordinating!

Ed Snyder April 24th, 2014 06:26 AM

In order to entice Foley to come too, I'm proposing to hold the Wichita mini-meet on either Saturday, June 21st or Sunday, June 22nd. Any preferences out there? This would be the weekend after Fathers Day weekend.

Foley April 24th, 2014 03:45 PM

I hope everybody gets a vote Ed. We would just swing down that way on our drive to South Dakota. I would cast my vote for Sunday the 22nd. Foley

Clarke April 25th, 2014 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 53099)
In order to entice Foley to come too, I'm proposing to hold the Wichita mini-meet on either Saturday, June 21st or Sunday, June 22nd. Any preferences out there?

Either day is good for me.

GMCDAC April 25th, 2014 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foley (Post 53103)
I hope everybody gets a vote Ed. We would just swing down that way on our drive to South Dakota. I would cast my vote for Sunday the 22nd. Foley

I'm looking foreward to a mini-mini meet when Foley passes through Rapid City, SD!

DAC

Ed Snyder April 25th, 2014 06:35 AM

Looks like Sunday, June 22nd is a good date for the Wichita mini-meet. I'll check with my brother there to see if this park is available then:
http://www.wichita.gov/Government/De...eePrairie.aspx. He said it's near Pawnee and Maize if anyone wants to look for it on Google Maps.

Potential attendees to date are RustyNut, Clarke, Nate, Fetch, Foley, me, and my Dad. If Rusty can come from St. Louis, Foley from California, and me from Oregon, surely there are folks out there a lot closer than we are who should be able to make it too. How about you, Jeannie? OKC is only 160 miles away!

Ed Snyder April 27th, 2014 06:32 AM

RustyNut told me he wants to furnish burgers and brats to barbecue at the park. Between now and June 22nd the rest of us attendees should probably figure out what to bring too.

Clarke April 29th, 2014 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 53135)
RustyNut told me he wants to furnish burgers and brats to barbecue at the park. Between now and June 22nd the rest of us attendees should probably figure out what to bring too.

Great idea! I can bring charcoal/fluid and watermelon.

Foley April 29th, 2014 03:49 AM

My wife says she'll be happy to supply the double fudge brownies! So that's what we'll bring. Hmmmm, she'd better hide them cause I know I'd be gettin' into them on a four day drive from the west coast.

Nate April 29th, 2014 11:30 PM

Sounds like the plan is coming together, I can bring some variety of chips.

Clarke April 30th, 2014 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foley (Post 53156)
My wife says she'll be happy to supply the double fudge brownies! So that's what we'll bring. Hmmmm, she'd better hide them cause I know I'd be gettin' into them on a four day drive from the west coast.

Ahhh, yeah... Okay, let's just say I won't be surprised when you arrive and tell us your dog ate them. Oh, my wife just said dogs are not supposed to eat chocolate, so you better come up with another excuse.

Safe travels,

David

Ed Snyder May 1st, 2014 06:49 AM

My brother Pete in Wichita turned in the application for us to use the park from 10 AM to 4 PM on June 22nd. Pete has a 2003 GMC Sierra short wide pickup.