6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Don't you want a shiny chrome bumper? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51158)

sclor July 4th, 2021 01:43 PM

Don't you want a shiny chrome bumper?

2 Attachment(s)
Had a bit of an incident last week with my truck. Biggest loss was my USS steel bumper. Currently scrounging for another one. Compared to the Tacoma that was behind me, I think USS saved the day...
Regards
Steve
New Orleans

Funky61 July 4th, 2021 06:36 PM

Re: Don't you want a shiny chrome bumper?

Glad to hear you came out unscathed except for the bumper!

I sure you thought the worst of it before you saw the backside :pullinghairout:

Your truck still looks fairly intact and that's a plus. The grey car must have been going at a pretty good clip to do all that damage to the Tacoma.

:banghead:

sclor July 4th, 2021 09:28 PM

Funky:
Thanks. Couple of dents on rear fender and bed actually pushed forward enough to kiss the back of the cab. At least it's fixable. Can't say that for the other vehicles in the four car pile up...
Regards
Steve

sclor August 10th, 2021 03:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks what I found on Facebook marketplace... Went through five local junkyards and didn't find a single thing. This one will need some cutting, welding and a repaint, but I am happy to have found it.
Regards
Steve
New Orleans

George Bongert August 10th, 2021 10:52 AM

Greetings sclor!

The car in the picture that you posted is totaled, and not too sure about the Tacoma, since it appears to have extensive frame damage as well as the box being shot. At any rate, the construction and rigidity of your truck just proves that things built in the 60's are much better built than today's "throwaway" vehicles are!

Jim A August 10th, 2021 04:40 PM

I have wondered if I would even feel being rear-ended while hauling ton of hay with my 3/4 and its heavy duty diamond plate bumper.

George Bongert August 10th, 2021 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim A (Post 74475)
I have wondered if I would even feel being rear-ended while hauling ton of hay with my 3/4 and its heavy duty diamond plate bumper.

Greetings, Jim!

Reminds me of the time I hauled 4 and 1/4 ton of Winter Wheat to a local grain elevator in my old 1 ton GMC re-powered Chevy. My Dad and I had built high sides for the truck specifically for purposes of hauling grain(s). The truck loaded weighed in at 13,500#, and weighed back empty at 5,250#, for a payload of 8,250#! If someone had rear ended me, I wouldn't have felt a thing, but I'll guarantee the vehicle that would have hit me would have suffered some very major damage!

sclor August 20th, 2021 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Folks:
Here is finished product after cutting, welding, blasting and painting. I hope the drunk drivers leave me alone...
Regards
Steve
New Orleans

FetchMeAPepsi August 20th, 2021 06:26 PM

Looks like a million bucks Steve. Glad you were able to find a donor bumper and get her back to looking so great again

Funky61 August 20th, 2021 07:14 PM

Very nice work Steve and a great photo of the finished product!