6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

FetchMeAPepsi January 12th, 2015 08:19 PM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hantke (Post 56268)
Just remember, POR-15 cannot be somewhere with direct sunlight contact, it doesn't last long in the light.

I heard that. Good thinkin! I'll have to come up with a sun blocker of some kind for when she's parked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 56272)
I've used POR-15 in the past as well, after 3 months of exposure the gloss turn chalky flat, so yes it is affected by sun light. Also when using it, it is extremely important to clean your paint gun thoroughly because this stuff is like epoxy and it will literally glue the paint cup to the rest of the and you won't be able to take the gun apart. I have a can of it that I used just once and now the lid is glued shut.

lol, that's what I'm afraid of! I'll let you guys know when I mess it up. :lolsmack2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 56279)
POR-15 can be top coated though.

Yeah I want to have white wheels so I'll be painting over it (its black) as soon as I can.

pilotguy1050 January 18th, 2015 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 47576)
Cecilia's going to be a daily driver one day so the first job on the table is making her more reliable. Right now she runs like a one legged duck on a whack-a-mole table. I started with a carb (carburetor) rebuild. I'm sure it's the wrong thing to do. Most of the things I choose to do are probably wrong. I've learned to live with it :D

this is the BEST thread EVER. Hats off to you for your writing style and never-ending fortitude in the face of eternal adversity. Great read.

Signed,
Those of us lost behind you, following your breadcrumb trail....

:thumbsup:

FetchMeAPepsi January 20th, 2015 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilotguy1050 (Post 56482)
this is the BEST thread EVER. Hats off to you for your writing style and never-ending fortitude in the face of eternal adversity. Great read.

Signed,
Those of us lost behind you, following your breadcrumb trail....

Thanks Pilotguy! :cheers:

I don't know if I'd go that far but I hope some of it is helpful even if it's all in the vein of "Hey ya'll, watch me mess this thing up next" :lolsmack:

I missed a great weekend of semi-thawed (60 degree) weather due to being sick. Both me and the Powder Puff were curled up on the couch watching movies. Good snuggle time, not so good workin' time. We're supposed to have similar weather next weekend though so I want to maybe pull Cecilia in the garage with a heater and see how much give those bearings have.

First (Thanks AZKen!) I'll be fiddling with the timing to see if she's off enough to cause predetonation and my mysterious knock. If that doesn't work out I think I can just drop the 'earl pan and wiggle the piston um...bottoms? by hand to see if they're loose enough to be the cause of my knocking.

For anyone that doesn't know what pistons are and how I'm going to be getting to them, engines have these big plunger looking things on top of a crooked stick. Oh, hey I got some terminology when I searched for a pic.

Here's a piston

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

The connecting rod cap at the bottom should poke down into the oil pan if I read things right. So if I pull off the oil pan I can reach up in there and grab it to see if they wiggle. There should be six since this is a V6.

Anyway, that's the plan.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

FetchMeAPepsi January 27th, 2015 02:16 PM

Just a quick update. Plan failed miserably. I pulled Cecilia around to the garage to work on her (with all the kids riding along, giddy with anticipation) and stepped into a garage full of water. Long story short I'll be posting a step by step in the Other Rides and Projects section on how to quickly lose $500 and change a 27 year old water heater :ahhhh:

Ron, I'm sorry ahead of time. Please don't hate me too bad :banghead:
All the posts from start to finish will be today so it won't string out very long.

On the upside, Cecilia was great at hauling the new one home. If I hadn't soldered her radiator I'd never have tried this project because like with most things I had no idea what I was doing.

:teehee:

Here's the instructions (destructions?)

FetchMeAPepsi February 9th, 2015 01:38 AM

I meant to get my plastigauge out today and check those bearings but the weather didn't cooperate. I only had a couple of hours of warm weather :(

So I piddled around instead. The neutral alignment I mentioned a few pages ago is still great but the transmission keeps jumping out of second gear and I can't figure out why. I thought I had the linkage messed up (too high, too low?) but after adjusting it all the way in both directions I didn't get anywhere. It still jumped out. So I tore out the hump to see if the tranny was switching all the way in both directions when I moved it.

Here's the linkage I was watching. It was working fine. :(
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to pull the transmission out again and get my hands dirty figuring out why 2nd gear is wonky. :banghead:

While I was in there I went ahead and adjusted the 4x4 shift knob so it didn't require me to bottom it out against the floor to be in 2 wheel drive.

You just have to stick a big ol' fat screwdriver in the holes and twist it around and it'll lengthen or shorten as you need. I ran mine out about 1/4 inch.

After that was done I drilled some holes to put screws in the rubber boot to hold it down. It wasn't too tough at all.

It turned out pretty good and should keep those nasty exhaust fumes from clouding up my mind. I keep driving in the same circle and wondering why everything looks new to me. :teehee:

And that was it before the cold crept back in and got me. I'm sick of winter.

turbobill February 9th, 2015 10:49 AM

Kansas doesn't have "winter" lol. You want to see a real winter, journey to the northeast. Specifically the Lake Ontario snow belt.

About 8 to 10 feet in the last 4 weeks and the temperature yesterday was a balmy 9 degrees with freezing drizzle and snow. Haven't seen the sun in over a week (snows every day). I plowed 3 times last week. (I really hate winter)

Count your blessings!

FetchMeAPepsi February 9th, 2015 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbobill (Post 56906)
Kansas doesn't have "winter" lol. You want to see a real winter, journey to the northeast. Specifically the Lake Ontario snow belt.

About 8 to 10 feet in the last 4 weeks and the temperature yesterday was a balmy 9 degrees with freezing drizzle and snow. Haven't seen the sun in over a week (snows every day). I plowed 3 times last week. (I really hate winter)

Count your blessings!

I'd never survive that, :lol:

I'll take 100 degrees over 50 degrees any day. :winter:

Ed Snyder February 10th, 2015 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbobill (Post 56906)
You want to see a real winter, journey to the northeast. Specifically the Lake Ontario snow belt.

Count your blessings!

I've got relatives in the Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse areas. I pity you all! We've got global warming going on out here. I haven't even had to put my studded tires on yet -- never had that happen before. We've been having overnight lows in the 40s (occasionally high 30s) and daytime highs in the 50s and even low 60s. Seems like we're going right from fall to spring. Some trees are starting to bud out, and I just saw manzanitas starting to flower yesterday.

FetchMeAPepsi April 16th, 2015 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 56920)
I've got relatives in the Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse areas. I pity you all! We've got global warming going on out here. I haven't even had to put my studded tires on yet -- never had that happen before. We've been having overnight lows in the 40s (occasionally high 30s) and daytime highs in the 50s and even low 60s. Seems like we're going right from fall to spring. Some trees are starting to bud out, and I just saw manzanitas starting to flower yesterday.

OMG the weather has been AWESOME LATELY!!! :crazyyippee:

I'm sorry for the delay guys. I had a plan setup for this spring-summer but The Redhead got a new truck to drive off to college (and leave me, boo hoo!) and I've been learning all about diesels. I've got a little more to do on her truck and then I have to finish that stupid fence before The Blonde leaves me (like, DIVORCE!) then I'll be back 100%.

I haven't even gotten to fire Cecilia up in months. My heart is aching over it, but you make sacrifices when you have a family I guess. They're supposed to make it worth it in the long run, right? LOL!

Anyway, I just wanted to say I'm still alive and still sticking with my build. You guys take care and I'll see you when I get done rat-killin!

:yourock:

Cayoterun April 16th, 2015 03:08 AM

Fetch: The Blond, Redhead, and family come first. Cecelia will wait, and don't swing a rolling pin as hard either.
Glad you chimed in and still kickin'.

aphaynes April 16th, 2015 04:38 AM

Fetch, good to hear from you! I was just thinking yesterday, where did Fetch disappear to? :lol:

FetchMeAPepsi June 17th, 2015 04:20 PM

Another update! The good news: I think I'm about done with The Redhead's truck.
The bad news?

I still have to finish the fence, build a dadgum storage shed (Lowes, $500) and then it's time for back to school. I may be out of $$$ by the time I can finally tinker with her. I try not to think about it too much until I can put hands on her again. Makes me sad.

aphaynes June 18th, 2015 03:47 AM

Hang in there! :thumbsup: Good to hear from ya!

GMCDAC June 19th, 2015 04:11 AM

Glad to see yer still with us, Fetch! Don't seem like enough hours in a day to work on GMC's here either.

DAC

FetchMeAPepsi June 30th, 2015 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 58331)
Hang in there! :thumbsup: Good to hear from ya!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 58350)
Glad to see yer still with us, Fetch! Don't seem like enough hours in a day to work on GMC's here either.

DAC

THanks guys! I miss hanging out with you guys and Cecilia all the time. This was my online home forever.

This weekend the three of us spent a little one on one on one time together pulling fence posts and hauling wood with Cecilia and the Powder Puff.

We'll be working on the fence and shed the next few weekends as $$$ allows. I'll be glad when I get rich and famous and don't have to worry about money anymore. :thumbsup:

FetchMeAPepsi August 31st, 2015 02:29 AM

Well this weekend something scary happened. We were driving home with a bunch of 2x4s and 4x6's for the fence and Cecilia just STOPPED on us. We were a half mile from home and she just sputtered and quit.

"Oh Cecilia, you're breaking my heart..."

I pulled her off the main road and checked the battery connections. "Suck, Spark, and Blow are what trucks need," I heard in my head. The battery connections are good. I pulled off the breather and had Powder Puff push the gas pedal. An anemic amount of gas poured into the carb.

That pointed me to the gas side of things. I had just put about 2 gallons in her before driving the past 10 miles and the gauge registered 1/8 of a tank. I didn't think she was empty, but a friendly passer-by offered his lawn mower can so I dumped it in. Still no dice.

So I pulled off the line to the carb from the filter and tried to crank it. Here's what I saw.

Notice the profound lack of gasoline squirting everywhere. Next I pulled the filter off and tried it with that. Nope, still nothing. So I left Cecilia on the side of the road and ran to O'Reillys to get a new fuel pump. It's 180 miles away. It'll be here on Monday.

The Redhead has been driving consistently all summer and she happened to be in town with the F250 "Cocoon" her daddy got her for her first car. So with a lot of instruction I used a 25 ft strap and 5 ft of chain to tie Cecilia to the F250 and we tore off home at a blistering 15 MPH.

Surprisingly, The Redhead did a great job towing, only popping my neck about 4 times through the whole trip. She drove, I rode and steered in Cecilia. I wish I had gotten a pic, but I was too worked up and it was 90000 degrees so I didn't think about it. I just knew she'd pull me into a car or a tree.

Anyway, all went well and Cecilia is parked, waiting on a new fuel pump. I'll go through that step by step too when the time comes :)

I sure missed turning her wrenches, but I wasn't ready to get back on it just yet!

More soon....

TJ's GMC August 31st, 2015 10:48 PM

Glad everyone got home safely and it was a simple problem. :thumbsup:

Foley September 1st, 2015 12:35 AM

Glad your still around Fetch. I could name 3 or 4 other guys (including me) who have been pretty darn quiet this summer cause life does get in the way sumtimez. But it tickles me to know that those 2x4's and 4x4's did make it home and so the fence building project goes on. Cause like you told me once,,,,A guy really does need a good strong back yard fence to lean wheels and shovels and hoes and empty wading pools on.

In other news......I drove thru Kansas again this past June headin' over to Mizzura. I kept looking around for you and even asked at a few truck stops if anybody knew of you. No luck.

Foley
Greenwood, CA

FetchMeAPepsi September 1st, 2015 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 59028)
Glad everyone got home safely and it was a simple problem. :thumbsup:

Thanks TJ! It was a nervous start with such an inexperienced tow operator but it turned out A-OK :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foley (Post 59029)
Glad your still around Fetch. I could name 3 or 4 other guys (including me) who have been pretty darn quiet this summer cause life does get in the way sumtimez. But it tickles me to know that those 2x4's and 4x4's did make it home and so the fence building project goes on. Cause like you told me once,,,,A guy really does need a good strong back yard fence to lean wheels and shovels and hoes and empty wading pools on.

In other news......I drove thru Kansas again this past June headin' over to Mizzura. I kept looking around for you and even asked at a few truck stops if anybody knew of you. No luck.

Foley
Greenwood, CA

LOL Foley you asked about me? You don't know how big I'm grinnin right now. :lolsmack2:

Where did you ask? I know I've said it before but while I can type out a line on the interwebs I sure can't talk in real life. I'm awful at social stuff. I either say the wrong thing, crack a stupid joke, or just stand quietly feeling awkward. I did meet up with CoyoteRun once and that went pretty well but he's a great guy. Big talker and easy to talk to. I felt right at home. (Thanks Coyote!)

The point is I don't really know many people that you could have run into aside from a couple of school connections and direct neighbors. But man if you had lucked out and hit someone that knew me that would have been too cool! :yourock:

I sure miss this site. I need to hurry up and finish this stupid fence so I can get on Cecilia again. I should just plan a day, suck up the social anxiety and send out a mass email inviting everyone over for old trucks, burgers and hotdogs. We might have to beg neighbors for parking, but I can cook at least. :)

FetchMeAPepsi September 1st, 2015 11:31 PM

Ok boys and girls! Let's change a fuel pump....

Tools you will need:
  • 1/2" wrench or socket AND wrench
  • Flathead screwdriver
  • New fuel pump (49.99 with lifetime warranty)
  • About 45 minutes of time

First, let's look at where the fuel pump is located. Some people have replaced their stock mechanical (rod moves up and down to pump gas) pump to an electric one (electric motor pumps the gas instead). Mine's still mechanical. And if it wasn't, I'd replace it with one. :thumbsup:

The fuel pump is the silver disk looking thing to the right of the alternator in the pic here, right on the front of the truck.

You should disconnect the battery negative terminal while doing this so a kid or a random screwdriver doesn't turn the motor over and pump gas all over you or cut your face off with the motor's fan.

Now to the fun part. I ordered part number M20021 from O'Reilly's Auto Parts and it was a direct fit. First, I disconnected the line that runs from the pump to the carburetor with a 1/2" wrench.

Next I took out the bolts that go into the engine, leaving the intake line for last. These were also 1/2".

When you get those two bolts out the whole thing just unplugs from the motor with a big long hangy-down thing sticking out of it. :ahhhh:

Gratuitous picture of the box the new pump came in. I don't know why they pictured the long plastic cylinder thing on the box. It wasn't inside.

Now take your screwdriver and take off the worm clamp on the hose running into the bottom of the fuel pump. I didn't have a screwdriver. I had a dime.

Once it's loose just pull off the bottom hose and yank that old crusty thing out. but don't toss it yet!

See those brass fittings? They don't come on the new pump! Take your wrench and screw them off. I used the round end of my wrench for the long, bottom one. I used the same thing to tighten it on the new one.

FetchMeAPepsi September 1st, 2015 11:45 PM

i used the open end for the other fitting. If you wedge one of the lips into the hole you can turn it pretty easy and it doesn't mess up the threads :my2cents:

Now slip the gasket on his hangy parts so it doesn't leak. :saywhat:

Go ahead and carefully run the bolts into the motor now. Mine kept trying to cross thread. Maybe my fingers are crooked. You don't need to torque them down to 9000 lbs either. Just snug.

Here my phone got too hot and quit working (97 degrees at this time) so I couldn't take a pic, but you should connect the bottom hose once the motor bolts are connected. Otherwise you won't ever get anywhere.

I found I had to take the line off the fuel filter up by the carb to get the top line to reconnect right. Notice I had a screwdriver now. Much easier!

Then I connected my carb to pump line snugly.

And finally I just had to reconnect the fuel line to the filter.

And that was it! I then connected my battery to the wrong posts and fried my new alternator. ARRGH!!! But I was able to get her started and let her run again. It took about 30 seconds of crank to get gas to the carb. Then she fired right up and ran sooo smooth! I'm surprised by how much different she sounds. I guess the poor girl was starvin!

I'll replace the alternator offsite because I already did that once not too long ago, then Cecilia's taking me and the kids to the dump to get rid of old fence material.

Thanks for reading! :yourock:

TJ's GMC September 1st, 2015 11:55 PM

Great write up! :thumbsup:

jagarra September 2nd, 2015 12:51 AM

Nice write up Fetch. Just a word about new fuel pumps, check the bolt on the bottom of the bowl of the pump to make sure it is tight. Mine was leaking after I installed it. Easiest to tighten when off, and don't ham fist it either, we don't want to crack the lil darlin'.

GMCDAC September 2nd, 2015 02:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for another down to earth writeup Fetch. Glad to know you are getting along ok. If Foley would have been able to find you he would have dropped by like he did us in 2014!

DAC

6066gmcguy September 7th, 2015 02:49 AM

Its always fun to read your post, your quit the story teller.

FetchMeAPepsi September 9th, 2015 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 59049)
Great write up! :thumbsup:

Thanks TJ! I'm going to be reading your build in a sec :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagarra (Post 59050)
Nice write up Fetch. Just a word about new fuel pumps, check the bolt on the bottom of the bowl of the pump to make sure it is tight. Mine was leaking after I installed it. Easiest to tighten when off, and don't ham fist it either, we don't want to crack the lil darlin'.

Oh, sneaky! I didn't think about it being loose anywhere. I'll give that a check this evening. I've got a free hour and I was going to monkey with the 2nd gear thing anyway. I'll be sure to get it done then!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 59052)
Thanks for another down to earth writeup Fetch. Glad to know you are getting along ok. If Foley would have been able to find you he would have dropped by like he did us in 2014!

DAC

Haha! now that would have been somethin!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6066gmcguy (Post 59078)
Its always fun to read your post, your quit the story teller.

Thanks for readin! I still get a kick out of that Rescue Squad. Every time I pull it up the Powder Puff bugs me about a visit :woohoowave:

FetchMeAPepsi September 11th, 2015 05:33 PM

Well I thought my "won't stay in second gear" thing was an issue with the linkage but it seems like even if I run it all the way up it still doesn't stay in second. Might have to pull the transmission again and see what's shakin in there. Maybe I put it together wrong?

Just spitballin as I fiddle with ideas today...

TJ's GMC September 11th, 2015 07:07 PM

Mine has a tendency to grind into 4th unless I wait longer than normal shifting. Syncros probably a tad worn. lol

FetchMeAPepsi September 11th, 2015 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 59132)
Mine has a tendency to grind into 4th unless I wait longer than normal shifting. Syncros probably a tad worn. lol

That's where I'd look too but...I've got the old muncie 318 - My synchros don't exist :ahhhh:

I have to doubleclutch to second then I'm OK in third cuz of engine speed. Right now I'm going from 1st to 3rd and she sure don't like that :lolsmack2:

FetchMeAPepsi October 5th, 2015 07:39 PM

The baby's birthday came and went this past weekend so I took her annual photo on Cecilia. Last year I just put her on a bucket that was about stepside height but that made me feel bad. So I spent 20 minutes piddling around and put the driver's side step back on her before the photography session this time.

I love that I can work on Cecilia with a couple of screwdrivers, a set of standard wrenches, and a set of standard sockets. I can just about fix anything on her with that set of tools. Old trucks are awesome :teehee:

Since I took the step off I put it back together much easier, knowing what I was getting into. Old me would have bolted the top of the step first. New me put the angle bracket on first this time.

Putting the bracket up in the rails got my eyes full of crusty dust, but it was expected. Cecilia drops her flakes where she pleases. It's punishment for not Por-15'ing her when I had the bed off :lolsmack2:

After getting the bracket attached I put in the five or so bolts along the bottom. Tiny 7/16" little suckers. Hard to hold on to with gloves.

After that I set the old man on it to test it. Yep, holds very nice! :thumbsup:

And the final result:

For comparison here's the first pic at 1 year old. Notice The Redhead hiding behind the spare tire in the bed. She held The Baby up until the moment of the pic then ducked back down for a split second to snap the pic, then popped back up and made sure The Baby didn't fall. :lolsmack2:

Another year in the books. They grow up so fast! :oldman:

aphaynes October 5th, 2015 07:45 PM

Awesome! That they do. My now 12 year old thinks Rusty is going to be what she learns to drive in. :lolsmack2: Little does she know how much muscle she will need to steer it. :bigyikes:

FetchMeAPepsi January 13th, 2016 12:16 AM

Well guys, it seems like every time I get a spare dime or a spare moment I got other projects and honey-dos to do. The Redhead just got herself a new-to-her mustang (1999) so I'll be helping with that. Might practice a little painting with it too. I'm toying with the idea of sitting that one out though and letting her do the work with me doing the "Iced Tea Supervising" that dads do sometimes. We'll see how that goes.

On top of that the catalytic converter is going out on my main family vehicle so I've got to come up with a way to cut it out or bypass it somehow. Not sure how they work yet, but I do know I don't need one.

If I get caught up Cecilia will be back on deck. I just wanted to let you guys know she wasn't sold or rotting in some field somewhere. I still love her as much as the first day. I just can't play with her like I used to.

To make up for the lack of updates here's a pic of the Powder Puff at age 11 on her spot. She keeps begging me to turn wrenches.

Hantke January 13th, 2016 12:25 AM

Sounds like you're keeping busy! Glad you're still at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMCDAC January 13th, 2016 01:15 AM

Good to hear from you Fetch, thanks for the update!

DAC

FetchMeAPepsi March 14th, 2016 04:15 PM

Another update with an unexpected twist. My father had a heart attack. He was down on the ground and turning blue with zero heartbeat. If not for another person nearby that found him and called 911 we would have lost him. :ahhhh::ahhhh::ahhhh:

So I'm in the process of dialing back my life and responsibilities :coffee::turtleride: so I can spend some good, quality time with the man doing the things he loves - fishing and hunting.

The plan is now this:
Get his house sold and liquidate everything that is "extraneous junk" he owns. :helpsign:
Move him here in town close to me
Get licensed for hunting and fishing
Get a boat and some thundersticks :teehee:
Take a boating safety class and hunter safety course
Kill some pigs/deer/rabbits and fill the freezer
Catch some crappie and bass & fill the freezer some more
Commence "Making memories" with the grandkids as long as possible.:upyes:

A lot of this is outside of my wheelhouse, but he grew up in the country with real dirt floors and will be a big help. After his heart episode we figure at most (statistically) we have 5 years left with him, more likely 1-3 years. I plan to put as many smiles on his face as possible until that time comes.

Oh, and I'll probably put the boat in the Other Rides section (Sorry Ron! :bricks:)
so you guys can see what I'm doing and offer help if you can. You guys know me,
any input you have is always appreciated!

I have zero experience with boats and not much money so anything I buy will need to be
worked on I'm sure. But once it's finished I have to be honest - I can't wait
to drag a boat to the lake with Cecilia! :woo:

When it's all said and done we should have some great pictures and fond memories with a man that made me what I am today. He's seen a lot since 1945. Some good and some bad. I'm going to do my level best to make sure the last thing he remembers is grandkids and giggles.

George Bongert March 14th, 2016 04:28 PM

Greetings Fetch!

Sorry to hear that your Dad had a heart attack. Hopefully you will have more time with him than you anticipate. Hope he recovers quickly. Make the most of every moment that you are able to spend with him. My parents are both gone, and there are many times that I wish they were still here. So many questions to ask for which there will be no answers.

FetchMeAPepsi March 14th, 2016 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Bongert (Post 61110)
Greetings Fetch!

Sorry to hear that your Dad had a heart attack. Hopefully you will have more time with him than you anticipate. Hope he recovers quickly. Make the most of every moment that you are able to spend with him. My parents are both gone, and there are many times that I wish they were still here. So many questions to ask for which there will be no answers.

Thanks George. That's what hit me when I got the call. OMG I'm not ready yet! What happened to the time? :pullinghairout:

That reminds me, for any of you guys that didn't get the chance, what kind of questions would you have asked if you could talk to your father again?

I'm a list guy so I'm putting together a list of questions about his childhood, my childhood, trends, twists, marriage advice, etc to grill him with. He's easy going so I'm lucky there. I can always ask him a question and expect an honest answer, even if he doesn't like to talk about the subject (like the Vietnam war- his least fav subject and where he lost his hearing on one side)

George Bongert March 14th, 2016 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 61112)
Thanks George. That's what hit me when I got the call. OMG I'm not ready yet! What happened to the time? :pullinghairout:

That reminds me, for any of you guys that didn't get the chance, what kind of questions would you have asked if you could talk to your father again?

I'm a list guy so I'm putting together a list of questions about his childhood, my childhood, trends, twists, marriage advice, etc to grill him with. He's easy going so I'm lucky there. I can always ask him a question and expect an honest answer, even if he doesn't like to talk about the subject (like the Vietnam war- his least fav subject and where he lost his hearing on one side)

Hello again Fetch!

Yeah, there are still many questions that I'd like to ask my Dad. Since my Dad lived through most of the last century, (born in 1906--died in 2000) he was a veritable wealth of things that happened, like the Great Depression, World War II, gas rationing, the dust bowl years, the earliest he had ever sown oats, and so on. While we did get some information from him, there is still more that I would like to know, especially about the Depression and War years. Now, given the time frame that he was alive, you would naturally assume that I am much older than my age of 66 years. You see, my Dad didn't get married until he was 42, and Mom was younger than my Dad by a few years. I wish us kids would have recorded him on tape. It would have been a lasting legacy, not only for my Brother and Sister, but also for his Grand Children, and generations to come. And as to time passing, it goes by altogether too fast, and I've come to the realization that I have to make the most of every moment that I'm able to spend with my Kids and Grand Kids. By the way, thank your Dad for his Service to our Country. I am an Associate Member of the Marine Corps League, and I volunteer at our local Veterans home. Again Fetch, I hope you have more time with your Dad than what you anticipate.

Funky61 March 14th, 2016 05:34 PM

How blessed you are that your Dad was found in time. I'm liking your list of questions and the opportunity to just have time with him and find out all those details. Who wouldn't want the opportunity to have a few years more with their Dad? All the best for you and your family. (Thundersticks=LOL)

GMCDAC March 16th, 2016 03:49 AM

Fetch, go take all the time you need with Pa! Ain't nothing more important. Don't set any store with "statistics". I know a lot of folks that should have been dead a long time ago if statistics were accurate. Mom lived 5 years longer than she was told to expect. Live it like you only have tomorrow though.

Wish I could get a few minutes back with my folks, best I can do is get Mom's GMC back on the road for her.

DAC