6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

FetchMeAPepsi September 14th, 2013 12:05 AM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

I spent the last couple of days wire wheeling the transmission down except for a small portion that still has original paint on it. I'm going to compare it to the new stuff to see how close I got. The tail leaks though and I'm not sure if that's normal. If not I might need to get seals anyway.

After the wheeling I coated it in Ospho to stop/prevent rust. Now it's a very cool black. :egyptian:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Tomorrow I'll pull the flywheel if I can figure out how and replace all those bolts in the bellhousing/starter/hydraulic clutch bits, hopefully get the transmission painted and refilled with fluid, and get the hump cover that I took off for easier access cleaned up and the bottom painted with Herculiner. It's both thicker and tougher than the spray on Rustoleum bedliner that I've been using for smaller parts and should be perfect for undercarriage protection. That's the plan anyway.

Then it's BBQ time again. It's supposed to be a fantastic day tomorrow. Not too hot, not too chilly, no rain but several clouds. :egyptian:

FetchMeAPepsi September 14th, 2013 10:26 PM

The parts fairy came by and dropped this off today. Hard to find part for a '62.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I put it away because I'll need it later but today was Pilot Bearing Day in Pepsi-land. I found out there's a right way and a wrong way to remove a pilot bearing.

First, the wrong way.

Go down to Lowes and buy a 1 1/8 inch dowel. Bring it home, realize the pilot bearing doesn't slide all the way up the shaft and return it to Lowes. Now buy a 5/8 inch dowel rod. See Oak rods. See Poplar rods. Look slyly at the one that is 1/5th the price made from Poplar. Use the internet to find out that you'll probably drive it through your hand when it splinters all over you. Choose the oak. Fun fact: Poplar has a hardness of 300. Oak is over 1500!

Now take that rod home and get under your truck. Pack bearing grease into the pilot bearing hole. Pack it in there good. It's goopy so be sure to smear it all over you. Later you'll wonder how some got in your left ear.

Put your 5/8 dowel in the hole...It wont fit. Sand the tip down so it's beveled. Poke the bevel in the hole and whack it with a hammer. Curse whomever created the grease that now coats everything you're wearing. Spend the next 30 mins cleaning up. Total time: 2 hours. :lolsmack:

The right way:
Go down to Autozone. Tell the man you want a slide hammer and a pilot bearing puller to borrow. He'll charge you $49.00 out the door, which you get back when you return it. Take it home. Poke one of the pilot bearing feet in the bearing because both feet won't fit. Make sure it's staying in there by tilting it so that the foot is facing down (gravity holds it in the hole now). Slide the hammer 3 times. Go have a sandwich and return your hammer.
Total time: 15 minutes. Total working time: 30 seconds.

So this little booger popped right out in my hand.

I cleaned it up and look at the sides. It has a lot of heat discoloration. Maybe it's the problem?

That finally finished, I turned to my transmission. I opened the four bolts on the side and looked inside. Nothing obvious was wrong.

Then I took the four off the front. A small amount of rust showed on the collar, but nothing serious.

I put them both back on, making sure to line the ridge on the inside gear up with the first shifter fork thingy, and the second lined up with the floating gear inside that is about 1 inch long. Like a glove.

BarryGMC September 15th, 2013 05:15 AM

Weird. I posted a response and nothing . I have not been able to get to the site. Well I am glad it's back up for me and a few others. Barry

BarryGMC September 15th, 2013 05:17 AM

That front bearing does not look right.

Vernski September 15th, 2013 07:15 AM

X2 I agree with Barry that front bering just don't look right looks like some of the marbles are missing and the race is gouged..Vernski:goodluck:

tommyduncan September 15th, 2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 50274)
The parts fairy came by and dropped this off today. Hard to find part for a '62.

I put it away because I'll need it later...

Pepsi I know you have some youngins' and although they seem like real good kids I think you should send this to me for safe keeping.

HEY! ...I just thought of something! The aftermarket turn signal setup in my truck plays "Love Me Tender" whenever the turn signal is on(no really, it really does:noway:).
I bet your kids would LOVE it!!! It kinda sounds like an ice cream truck!

There is nothing I like better than pleasing kids, so I am willing to trade you straight across for your boring old OEM unit in that beat up, stinky old box for my really cool, Elvis approved aftermarket unit...

Nice find!

FetchMeAPepsi September 15th, 2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 50282)
X2 I agree with Barry that front bering just don't look right looks like some of the marbles are missing and the race is gouged..Vernski:goodluck:

At this point my wife thinks my marbles are all missing :lolflag: I think the picture is wonky so I'll post better pics today. The marbles go all around the input shaft. What is the race?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyduncan (Post 50288)
Pepsi I know you have some youngins' and although they seem like real good kids I think you should send this to me for safe keeping.

HEY! ...I just thought of something! The aftermarket turn signal setup in my truck plays "Love Me Tender" whenever the turn signal is on(no really, it really does:noway:).
I bet your kids would LOVE it!!! It kinda sounds like an ice cream truck!

There is nothing I like better than pleasing kids, so I am willing to trade you straight across for your boring old OEM unit in that beat up, stinky old box for my really cool, Elvis approved aftermarket unit...

Nice find!

:lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack:

Thanks for the grin Tommy. It's been a frustrating weekend. I've got a plan for the switch though. Are yours' ears broken like 99% of the others out there? If so i might have a surprise for you in a few months.

tommyduncan September 15th, 2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 50296)
At this point my wife thinks my marbles are all missing :lolflag: I think the picture is wonky so I'll post better pics today. The marbles go all around the input shaft. What is the race?

It's a race to lose all our marbles!

Quote:

:lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack:

Thanks for the grin Tommy. It's been a frustrating weekend. I've got a plan for the switch though. Are yours' ears broken like 99% of the others out there? If so i might have a surprise for you in a few months.
I haven't looked inside the column yet but I suspect that is what happened. I need to find the wire that goes to "Love me tender" because I'm about to tenderize the turn signal switch with a large hammer! :lolsmack::pullinghairout:

Vernski September 15th, 2013 06:26 PM

I maybe seeing things that may not be there [macular degeneration] I guess it's just the way the photo turned out. If all the marbles are there it maybe fine and I have CSS. The race is what hold's the marbles in by the way, the photo was just a little scary :ahhhh:Vernski

FetchMeAPepsi September 20th, 2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 50308)
I maybe seeing things that may not be there [macular degeneration] I guess it's just the way the photo turned out. If all the marbles are there it maybe fine and I have CSS. The race is what hold's the marbles in by the way, the photo was just a little scary :ahhhh:Vernski

That's OK Vernski. I just realized last week that I couldn't read the directions on a bottle of baby orajel anymore. What the heck? I'm not even 40 yet...

I'll be rebuilding the transmission anyway since I needed a rear seal so here's to learning new things! :beer:

FetchMeAPepsi September 20th, 2013 08:14 PM

Guess what? I got those stupid flywheel bolts out!

Oh yeah!!!:egyptian::egyptian::egyptian:

With help from the club I figured out that A. They are bolts and not welded nuts. and B. They're hard as heck to get out, but they're not reverse threaded or anything stupid. Just glom on and get ta twistin! I twisted with an electric impact. I twisted with an air impact. I twisted my finger.

:headscratch:

Nothing worked.

So I sprayed them with PB blaster yesterday then hit them with this concoction (through the transmission hump in the center of the cab) :

First I put a jack under the driver's side of the flywheel to keep it from spinning. I put 2 pumps on it after they met.

Looking through the tranny hump inside you can see where it meets up, kinda.

Then I broke loose all my bolts, but left them in. They were only finger loose so I could take them out by hand. I'm wearing gloves because I didn't have much time (1 1/2 hours) so I didn't want to get too filthy.

Then lower the jack. SqueeeeeeeechhhH!!!!

Then take the bolts out by hand, starting with the lowest bolt first so the top one holds the 900 lb flywheel in. Seriously this thing is heavy and has teeth! Don't drop it on you.

When I took out the last bolt I wiggled it a bit and it fell. I stupidly thought I could catch it with one hand. Instead it hit a 4x4 I had lying under the truck in case it fell to protect the teeth. Look at that gouge!

After that I stuck it in 5 wal-mart sacks to keep my other vehicle clean. It's so heavy I might put a few more bags on it to be safe.

Now it's off to the machine shop! $50.00 is what they want to resurface it and it'll be done in 2 hours.

tommyduncan September 20th, 2013 11:26 PM

YES!:yeeuh:

I knew you would get it:yourock:

Hopefully you will get it back when your other parts arrive and it's on!:champagne:

FetchMeAPepsi September 21st, 2013 01:09 AM

Thanks for the tips Tommy. I still think those bolts look like someone just welded a nut on the threads and said, "Well, good 'nuff!" LOL!

the flywheel was done within an hour. BOOM! They even put it in a nice drycleaning style heavy duty plastic bag. And cleaned it. Bonus points!

Tomorrow it'll go back in after a fishing trip with the babies. With luck the rebuild kit will be here tomorrow too.

tommyduncan September 21st, 2013 01:20 AM

Flywheels are the only place I recall ever seeing that type of bolt. You've got me wondering... why?:headscratch:

I'm sure someone on here knows!

Foley September 21st, 2013 04:29 AM

And....it might have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but can that flywheel go back on any which way or is the bolt pattern offset or notched or something so it goes back on the way it came off for the correct weight balance of the lower end?

Cayoterun September 21st, 2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foley (Post 50422)
And....it might have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but can that flywheel go back on any which way or is the bolt pattern offset or notched or something so it goes back on the way it came off for the correct weight balance of the lower end?

Bolts are off-set, Pepsi.

bozzhogg September 21st, 2013 06:17 PM

I know this is unrelated but does anybody know if the timing chain for the 305E V6 will fit the 305D GMC V6????

tommyduncan September 21st, 2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozzhogg (Post 50435)
I know this is unrelated but does anybody know if the timing chain for the 305E V6 will fit the 305D GMC V6????

Kinda the wrong place for this but Pepsi's a nice guy. I doubt he'll mind...

In would look up the part# and pic for each model somewhere like rock auto and see if they share the same part#.

FetchMeAPepsi September 22nd, 2013 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyduncan (Post 50417)
Flywheels are the only place I recall ever seeing that type of bolt. You've got me wondering... why?:headscratch:

I'm sure someone on here knows!

It's Voodoo! I'm sure of it. hexed bolts! :ahhhh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foley (Post 50422)

I don't remember who, but someone mentioned that they're offset. Way over engineered engine, right? I love that V6.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 50423)

Bolts are off-set, Pepsi.

Thanks Coyote! Hope you and the family are doing well. The rain is great, ain't it?:champagne:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozzhogg (Post 50435)

Hi Bozz! Thanks for reading my mess here. I grew up watching Dukes of Hazzard reruns so your screen name always makes me think "Ahhh, Jefferson DAVIS Hawg, at your service!"
Good memories :) Fun fact: He was actually really skinny. They used pillows to puff him up!

You might get a better response on your question in the Motors section if no one here knows (I don't for sure). Some guys dont read the build threads so they wont see this one. As the thread-resident monkey with a wrench though I dont think theyre interchangable. Other things are though. The innards changed a little between D and E models. Jolly can prolly tell you more about the changes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyduncan (Post 50438)
Kinda the wrong place for this but Pepsi's a nice guy. I doubt he'll mind...

In would look up the part# and pic for each model somewhere like rock auto and see if they share the same part#.

Great idea! Tommy :thumbsup:

Bozz, I just checked Rockauto and they're different numbers. I'd still ask in the engines forum to be sure though. Good luck!

:goodluck:

FetchMeAPepsi September 22nd, 2013 04:48 AM

I had big plans for today but they got sidetracked by household upkeep and winterization. Bleh.

When the dust settled I was putting shovels and drills away when I glanced sideways. There sat my 4wd shifter and the middle hump on the rear of Cecilia's frame. It called to me softly. "Pepsi........."

"Pepsiiiiiiii...... Come work on me. Just for a minute. It won't be too hard this time, I promise..."

I grinned a dopey grin and ambled over to the hump. The shifter boot is awful looking. It's a square boot that the PO (Previous Owner) screwed down in the circular hole. It's like gravy covered ice cream. not pretty.

The handle is worn smooth from many years of shifting. I couldn't get it to twist off so I grabbed a pipe turner thingy, one of those with a rubber grip that runs through a handle, and gave it a twist to break it loose. Then my little helper got to spinning.

Remember I didn't have any time? So I left the grip with the boy. He called it a giant mushroom and spent the next 10 minutes shoving plastic fishing worms in the mounting hole. (How does he think of this stuff?) I removed the ring holding the boot on. Since it was all bent and banged up I laid it on a flat part on the frame and whacked on it with a rubber hammer until it was straight again.

Then I put it in a vice and wire wheeled it until it was all shiny and new looking. After that it got a blast of ospho. Tomorrow or Monday I'll blast it with bedliner material and it'll be ready for re-installation. I need to find a new 6" circular boot for it though. The square one is going in the trash. That's all the time I had. I felt better after getting to fiddle with her a little.

OH! And speaking of parts, the parts fairy came again and brought my rear end pinion seal (Rock auto), my transmission rebuild kit (Ebay :yeeuh:), my oil pan gasket (Rock Auto), and a quart jar of Herculiner (Amazon) for the bottom of the transmission hump. Woot!

Guess who's learning how to rebuild a tranny this week? :superhappy:

Cayoterun September 23rd, 2013 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 50445)
It's Voodoo! I'm sure of it. hexed bolts! :ahhhh:

I don't remember who, but someone mentioned that they're offset. Way over engineered engine, right? I love that V6.

Thanks Coyote! Hope you and the family are doing well. The rain is great, ain't it?:champagne:

Hi Bozz! Thanks for reading my mess here. I grew up watching Dukes of Hazzard reruns so your screen name always makes me think "Ahhh, Jefferson DAVIS Hawg, at your service!"
Good memories :) Fun fact: He was actually really skinny. They used pillows to puff him up!

You might get a better response on your question in the Motors section if no one here knows (I don't for sure). Some guys dont read the build threads so they wont see this one. As the thread-resident monkey with a wrench though I dont think theyre interchangable. Other things are though. The innards changed a little between D and E models. Jolly can prolly tell you more about the changes.

Great idea! Tommy :thumbsup:

Bozz, I just checked Rockauto and they're different numbers. I'd still ask in the engines forum to be sure though. Good luck!

:goodluck:

Pepsi: If you haven't already figured it out, after you get the flywheel muscled up in the hole, you can slip it on the crankshaft flange and turn it until the holes all line up. Do you need to be warned? That dude is heavy, so don't let it slip off the flange until you get a bolt started!!

Yes, Sir!!! The rain we have received is much appreciated, so with no cattle, we're letting the weeds grow, hoping to catch snow if we get any this winter.
We're all well up here. We'll be out at Black Mesa helping the Cimarron Heritage Center volunteers stuff grub in all those wild OKC Star-Gazers that stay up all night staring at the sky next week. Lot's of fun.-----and work.

FetchMeAPepsi September 29th, 2013 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 50466)
Pepsi: If you haven't already figured it out, after you get the flywheel muscled up in the hole, you can slip it on the crankshaft flange and turn it until the holes all line up. Do you need to be warned? That dude is heavy, so don't let it slip off the flange until you get a bolt started!!

I know, I think they should have made it with it's own little elevator :lolflag:

I got it mashed up there, slipped on the flange, and started spinning. Then the dang thing fell off and I *thought* broke my ring finger. It's just sprained though thank goodness. It's sore as heck but it'll heal. One things for sure you gotta pay attention with this puppy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 50466)
Yes, Sir!!! The rain we have received is much appreciated, so with no cattle, we're letting the weeds grow, hoping to catch snow if we get any this winter.
We're all well up here. We'll be out at Black Mesa helping the Cimarron Heritage Center volunteers stuff grub in all those wild OKC Star-Gazers that stay up all night staring at the sky next week. Lot's of fun.-----and work.

Haha that sounds like a great time. You guys are good hearted people! Tell the wife I said "Hi"!

I got out there today and got dirty. I always start with piddly stuff. I painted my shift boot ring with bedliner, which I want to put all over the floorboards of my truck where the rubber mat used to be. I think I'll follow it with sound deadener and then some carpet or another mat. I haven't decided. I'm not really fond of carpet in these old trucks though, so probably a mat again.

Anyway...Back on topic...Shift boot ring:

I got the shifter out and pulled out the cotter pin holding it together. The pin broke, so it'll get replaced. (Autozone, $6.99 for a set)

After pulling the pin out the shifter just falls apart pretty easily. This is a good job for your little helpers.

Exploded view :D

BarryGMC September 29th, 2013 04:31 AM

Keep it up Pepsi. I love your enthusiasm. Barry

FetchMeAPepsi September 29th, 2013 04:38 AM

All the smaller bits, washers, etc. and bracket takes a long bath in the carb cleaner bucket.

Then it was on to the hump. I pulled out the rubber liner out of it's track. It was nasty. I'll need some new rubber. Then I hit it with a 60 grit mini flap disk (1 inch). It took about two hours to get it down to bare metal.

When I got to the driver's side corner I discovered some pitting. Cecilia started scratching her head - it could mean dandruff! It didn't go too deep though so I sanded it down smooth. Then I sprayed the whole thing with Ospho and let it sit.

While it dried and converted any microscopic rust I sprayed down the handle. it's all shiny and awesome now.

FetchMeAPepsi September 29th, 2013 04:49 AM

I got tied to the wire wheel for a while...

(If you read this earlier, I'm sorry. I got ahead of myself. This is teardown, not rebuild! :lolflag:)

So obviously I took off the front cover and wire wheeled it above. Here's it coming off, along with the gasket. The gasket is probably very thin and paperlike if it's been on a while. You might have to dig it off with a razor or screwdriver.

FetchMeAPepsi September 29th, 2013 05:04 AM

I turned the transmission over and pulled off the side cover. It takes four bolts, each 1/2 inch. When they're out it just lifts away. The second pic shows me that I put the forks in wrong when I rebuilt it. Oops. Gotta change it tomorrow.:poke:

I put the bolts back in the cover after I set it aside so I didn't lose them or try to put them in some other spot.

Now I moved to the nut on the front. I had a VERY tough time with this. Then I discovered it is LEFT threaded. Yep. Righty-tighty lefty-loosey doesn't apply to this little backward fella.

FetchMeAPepsi September 29th, 2013 05:35 AM

I moved to the tail section then, pulling out all five bolts. They're 9/16 inch.

For the next part make sure you're over a stable surface like a table. Crap will go everywhere!

Pull the case apart. most people never do this because its hard to get back together. But to rebuild your muncie sm 318 you need to do this to get to the rear bearings. and the needlebearings, which you're about to meet.

Keep pulling....And Tada! Needle bearings all over the shaft!

Some also get scattered around inside. Stick a pencil magnet or your finger in there to get them out. Set the tail section aside for now.

Then slide the outer ring off of what's left inside the transmission. This is your 1st and reverse gear. Notice how tiny the gear teeth are? After this I really don't think I'll ever do a burnout from a red light ever again. These things are tiny!

Finally slide the big pepsi-can looking thing out the back. This is second and third gear.

Put them back together and set them somewhere safe.

Now run a magnet (the silver triangle looking thing here) around inside again. I found more needle bearings!

Time to pound on something again. ARR ARR ARR!

Grab a socket, this one is 9/16 if I remember right. Add some extensions.

Poke it through the back where the tailshaft used to be. Poke it into the spot where the needlebearings were.

Now ring it with a hammer. Just the weight of the hammer, don't knock it into next week.

The front shaft (input shaft) will pop right out in your hand.

That's it for the case here. Set it aside somewhere.

Needle bearing collection. I found one more fat one (fat ones go on the front) stuck to the shaft.

Um...If you didn't already, take the washers off the TAIL shaft now. We set it aside already, remember? :poke:

FetchMeAPepsi September 29th, 2013 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 50557)
Keep it up Pepsi. I love your enthusiasm. Barry

Without your help I would never have got this far. Thanks Barry!:notworthymulti:

FetchMeAPepsi September 29th, 2013 05:55 AM

While we have the tailshaft on the bench grab two screwdrivers and push apart the big ring by the base of the shaft. You can hold one side still with one flathead screwdriver, then push the other side away and forward on the shaft.

Once it's hooked out of the little groove it's in you can pry the shaft out.

This is a crazy long shaft.

For the next part I put it in a vise. The part that comes off next is just held on with friction. Bang it gently with a hammer going around and around the shaft to get it loose.

This part here is TOUGH :noway::noway::noway:
If you have a spring tool use it here and save yourself some stress. It took me forever to wedge two screwdrivers, one sideways and one up and down, against this clamp.

Then I worked it up enough on one side that I could slip a third screwdriver under it.

If you ever get it out of the groove you can bang it gently with a hammer to get it up the shaft. But...

Put your hand over it when you get to the end or it'll PING! off into the sunset.

Now bang the bearing with a hammer. Go side to side or it'll get stuck.

Old and new.

FetchMeAPepsi September 29th, 2013 06:29 AM

That bearing is called a "race". (thanks Raycow for the terminology) Pound it down onto the shaft now.

Then pound on the evil snap ring.

Finally pound on this spinny thing.

It needs to float 1" above the race.

Thats it for the tail shaft. Now grab the tail case. Im sure theres a better way to do this, but I just stuck a crowbar in the end of it and pried on the seal back there. it popped right out.

Old and new

Clean out the hole a bit

This part here is red RTV silicone. You should use GREY silicone instead, but I dont have any so this is what she got. Red is for high temp areas. Grey is for high torque areas.

Set the new gasket in it's new home then put the old gasket on top of it.

This protects the new gasket while you pound it with a hammer to drive it home.

Clean up the extra silicone.

Flip the case over and scratch or scrape off the gasket. I had to scrape mine off. If I didnt know it was there I wouldnt have thought to look. it was very thin and worn down.

FetchMeAPepsi September 29th, 2013 06:39 AM

Slide your tail shaft into the case again, but not all the way.

Take a finger full of bearing grease and rub it around the inside of the seal we just put in to make sure the tailshaft doesn't tear it up or cause any problems.

Pry the little clip open again...

When it's open you can bang it with a hammer, just a small tap, and it'll slide home.

The tail portion is done! :egyptian:

Grab the input shaft now and put it in a vise.

FetchMeAPepsi September 29th, 2013 06:45 AM

Take a punch or a piece of pencil like metal and pound it gently with a hammer.

The race will fall off.

Old and new

Just pound on the new one like you did the other. Remember to put the little groove facing up toward the front of the shaft so you can get the little keeper ring back on later!

It needs to stop just a hair's breadth from the gear under it.

FetchMeAPepsi September 29th, 2013 03:13 PM

Run around and hunt for your new snap ring.

Snap it on the race (that's the bearing, remember?)

Pound the input shaft in with a hammer

stop when the snap ring gets to just above the case

raycow September 29th, 2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 50564)
That bearing is called a "race". (thanks Raycow for the terminology) Pound it down onto the shaft now.

Actually it isn't. The "race" is just the inner or outer ring that the spherical rolling elements run against (I had to say it that way because the censorship software won't let me say *****). The complete bearing is called....uhh....well.....a bearing.

Ray

FetchMeAPepsi September 29th, 2013 06:35 PM

Now put your gears back in. They take some wiggling to get in the right spot and up on the shaft.

Find your tail gasket and RTV it

Stick it to the back of the case

Get the tail portion ready for entry. :ahhhh:

Slide your two rings back on, this is the back ring.

Get a fingerfull of grease and smear it on the two spots that bearings need to stick. Dont mind my nasty fingers. Eww. I smell like transmission fluid every day now.

Start loading your new bearings on. Big ones on the tip, skinny long ones in the back.

Done! now if you're really good you can slip it in like this and all of your bearings will stay put. If you're not (And I tried for six hours) put a little tiny rubber band around the tip bearings to hold them in place. The rubber band will dissolve in the trans oil after a few feet of movement.

FetchMeAPepsi September 29th, 2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raycow (Post 50571)
Actually it isn't. The "race" is just the inner or outer ring that the spherical rolling elements run against (I had to say it that way because the censorship software won't let me say *****). The complete bearing is called....uhh....well.....a bearing.

Ray

Well shucks! Ok, I'll use Bearing from here out :)

The struck out word (Jeannie if this isn't allowed just delete this line) is the plural of ball for those that didnt see the other thread.

Thanks again!:yourock:

FetchMeAPepsi September 30th, 2013 02:58 AM

Back at the front, put the stupid backwards threaded nut back on

Goop up the gasket and put it on, making sure to put the hole lined up with the hole at the bottom of the bearing you installed. Then goop up the outside.

Put the cover back on, lining up the hole again. It looks to me like a weep hole for moisture or something. Torque it down good.

Now back to the tail section. If you haven't yet, put red RTV silicone around the outside of the gasket you just stuck to the back. Then slide the tail portion in slowly. Grit your teeth and say a prayer too. This really took me forever to get right. the needle bearings kept falling off until I used a rubber band on the tip bearings.

Here's a pic of the rubber banded bearings. I ended up only binding the front ones.

if you're lucky and it slides in all the way start bolting it down. If you have a 4x4 the long bolts go in the side with the shift stalks.

Torque them down enough that you see RTV silicone squirting out the case crack

Put RTV on the port gasket, both sides.

Get ready to put the cover back on. you need to line up the 1st and reverse gear (small sliding ring) with the fat forks on the cover. And line up the 2/3 gears (long fat pepsi can lookin bit) witht he small fork. Just the lip on the end of the can is all that you need to worry about.

Here's a shot of the gears lined up with the forks. I hope you can make it out OK.

FetchMeAPepsi September 30th, 2013 03:10 AM

Torque it down too until you see silicone coming out.

Now grab your new clutch and pressure plate. Mine looked like it had been on the shelf a while. it didn't include that bar thing that lines up the clutch plate.

And the throwout bearing is quite a bit larger. Here's old and new. The new one has a zerk fitting on it. I bought a $30.00 grease gun just for this. I needed one anyway.

let's see how it fits. :)

Grab your new pilot bearing, that's the small one. Get some bearing grease and grease it up really good. Mash grease in the part of the bearing with the ball bearings too. Place it on your newly refinished flywheel.

Gently smack it with a hammer. It'll go right in. (side note, I forgot that it went in the flywheel and spent two and a half hours trying to bang it into the crank shaft. :ahhhh:)

It should end up flat in there.

FetchMeAPepsi September 30th, 2013 03:27 AM

I laid my flywheel on my fat belly after lying on my crawler. This made moving it under Cecilia much easier. Once under there I rolled it off slowly and into it's spot.

You'll have to get under it and muscle it up onto the crankshaft lip. Once there it'll jump right off if you look at it crosseyed. Shortly after this picture it jumped off on me and hit my ring finger hard enough that I thought it was broken. Now I'm pretty sure it's just sprained. It's swollen up to twice normal size and it doesn't like to move, but I can bend it ok. Straightening is a problem. :ohmygosh:

You can see from the rust patterns which set of bolts goes where on the flywheel. One set of bolts has a hole in the middle of the metal thing that holds two of them together. Keep an eye on that one and slowly turn it around (Remember this is where I got hurt. Be CAREFUL!!!!!) until the holes line up. start putting bolts in. If they all don't go in easy, it's not the right holes. Take them out and turn it more then try again.

Once in place and easily screwed in hand tight, torque them down. Mine were super-torqued, remember? This time they're only electric-impact-wrench tight. (300 ft-lbs)

Here you should go take a break. You've earned it. Plus you have a 900 lb pressure plate and clutch to muscle up next. You'll need to be fresh if you're a weenie-armed guy like me.

I was bone tired at this point so I guess I forgot to snap more pics, but you just keep the clutch and pressure plate together like above, and shove the whole shebang up in behind the flywheel. Have a bolt ready to screw in, you'll need (and want) to get it in the first hole that lines up. These holes aren't offset so any hole goes with any bolt.

I torqued them down with the impact again then I used a 9/16" wrench to move the bolt clockwise, turning the whole crank to the next hole. Just like when I took them out.

FetchMeAPepsi September 30th, 2013 04:09 AM

The next day I was so sore I could barely move. So I ate some pills and did piddly work, painting stuff. I had a little bit of original paint on the transmission so I tried all of the orangy colored paints at my local autoparts store. I couldn't find one that matched exactly, but VHT brand Chevy Orange was pretty close. It lacks some rusty-red coloring but it dried decently close. Enough for this poor boy.

So i painted half of it. When it dried 5 coats thick it was way oranger than the original paint. I should have gone with the chrysler red stuff. :(

While it dried I put more bedliner stuff on these bits. I thought about doing the fat pin that goes in the shifter but decided it would make it too thick to get back together. It's a tight fit and it'll be covered in grease already.

As I painted it I thought I should test that little zerk fitting. it was clogged up so I took it off. It just unscrews.

I rooted out the hole with a coathanger. You'll know you're done when you can poke the coathanger all the way through and no more dirt falls out.

Then put the zerk fitting back on and try pumping grease into it. If it works, you'll see grease start to fill up the hole. you can barely see some grease in this pic. If it doesn't work your zerk fitting might be clogged or bad. Get a new one at the auto parts store for $2.99 or a complete set of them for $14.00.

I had a spot on the transmission hump where the shifter goes through that was bent so I banged it out to where I thought it looked factory shaped. It's a wavey bit of metal so I did it straight along the wave.

Then I wire wheeled it and opened a can of this stuff. it's supposed to be thicker and much tougher than the spray on stuff I've been using.

They aren't kidding. It's way more textured than the spray on stuff. Thicker too with little rubber bits through it. I'm not sure I like the look, but if it protects better it's what I want. it'll go on everything underneath and my floorboards under the sound deadener.

I also put it on these circled parts because they live under the truck too and will get splashed with all kinds of stuff. I put two coats on everything. The shifter only got herculiner on the bottom portion that sits below the shift boot.