6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

TJ's GMC October 15th, 2017 04:04 PM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Glad the fix will hopefully be a simple one. :thumbsup:

OdieTN March 1st, 2018 10:49 PM

Hey Fetch! How is Cecilia coming along? I've really enjoyed your thread. I'll be doing my carb this weekend, so I appreciate all you help with that for sure. :thumbsup:

FetchMeAPepsi March 3rd, 2018 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 68125)
Glad the fix will hopefully be a simple one. :thumbsup:

You know me better than that, TJ! I put the new one in, it still registers as 1/4 tank full, and to top it off the connections don't seal and it sucks air like a bike pump. I still haven't got her running yet. I'm hoping to have some time this next weekend to tear in there and figure it out. That 1/4 tank thing is bothering me though. It should show "empty", but it doesn't. Resistance issues maybe? My ground is good. I love electrical problems...
:pullinghairout:

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdieTN (Post 68848)
Hey Fetch! How is Cecilia coming along? I've really enjoyed your thread. I'll be doing my carb this weekend, so I appreciate all you help with that for sure. :thumbsup:

Hi Odie! Thanks for reading my mess! I hope the carb comes along great for you and your little helpers. There was a big difference in how she ran after I got mine rebuilt and tuned. She still pops and coughs sometimes when I throttle up (maybe too rich?) but when I mash that gas she'll wake right up and cruise. No muffler so everyone freaks out a little if they're driving a ricebox beside me, but she'll do 0-60 in 30 seconds. I mean minutes. :teehee:

FetchMeAPepsi April 5th, 2018 01:26 AM

It's one of those days. :winter::winter::winter: It's freakin' cold outside and I'm planning all the stuff I could be doing if it were warm. I want to learn how to mix concrete and build a concrete drive or pad (same thing?). I want to clean out my gutters. I want to buy a new grill and make some steaks in the evening sun....

But I really want to get my baby running again. I still have this gas issue. I hope to pull her apart again tomorrow and get her running. It's been so long now that I'll have to air up the tires again haha.

:teehee:

Tomorrow my morning temps will be below freezing in the morning, but it should warm up enough by afternoon that I can turn a wrench on her. If I get her running again I might even make a trip to the dump for fun and drop off some of these "treasures" I been hoarding around the house.

FetchMeAPepsi April 5th, 2018 01:30 AM

And to top it off, all my planning means I'm looking on ebay for cheap stuff, tools, mischief, and whatnot. i'm spending more money than if I was really working on things, and this is just the planning stages. I mean, do I really need a $300 concrete mixer from harbor freight? Do I?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

kknotts April 5th, 2018 04:25 AM

Fetch is ALIVE!! Was wondering about you the other day.

FetchMeAPepsi April 6th, 2018 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kknotts (Post 69024)
Fetch is ALIVE!! Was wondering about you the other day.

Hey Kknotts! I'm glad to hear you think about me :cheers:

I think about you guys too. I miss being here every weekend posting updates. I do have a little one today. :thumbsup:

I unscrewed my gas line again to make sure it was fitting right. Here's what it looked like.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Then I pulled it all the way out to take a peek at the end to see if it was buggared up. It wasn't.

So I stuck two fingers on the other side of the hose to make sure it was lined up right, then I tightened it back up real good.

See? Real good!

Then I went through my jump battery and all three boat batteries trying to start her up. I even put starting fluid and gas in the carb.

She'd puff puff and then die every time. Still not getting gas through the line, and I'm not sure why. The fuel pump is relatively new. I might pull the fuel sending unit back out and make sure it doesn't have some kinda cap on the end next. It SHOULD be running through there like an obedient troop of boy scouts but it's starving.

Back to square 1. :banghead:

James April 7th, 2018 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 69027)

I had a similar problem with the engine not getting fuel and I had change my fuel sending unit when I first started to work on my truck (fuel gage would not work). In my case everything was fine. Then slowly I notice the carb was not getting enough fuel until it quit providing me fuel. I am using an electric fuel pump and I notice that it was not changing tone (was pumping only air at this time) when the carb became full (engine not running at this point). I had disconnected the fuel line from the sending unit and found it dry. I connected a rubber hose to the line and turn the key on, pump change tone and the engine started with no problem. On a closer examination of the fuel sending unit I notice the brass fitting didn't look right and didn't match the original mounting position on the line and the solder didn't look like it had bonded. I removed and leak check the sending unit and found it was leaking at the solder joint. I got my torch out and removed the brass fitting, then I found out it was barely on the line. I cleaned the inside of the brass fitting and the line. The I reassembled it making sure the brass had bottom out on the line and the solder (using acid core solder) was all the way around. I wash the sending unit inside and out with water then blow dry with compress air. Then I put it back in the truck and had no further problems with fuel delivery.
:rowdybeer::upyes:

FetchMeAPepsi April 18th, 2018 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 69029)
I had a similar problem with the engine not getting fuel and I had change my fuel sending unit when I first started to work on my truck (fuel gage would not work). In my case everything was fine. Then slowly I notice the carb was not getting enough fuel until it quit providing me fuel. I am using an electric fuel pump and I notice that it was not changing tone (was pumping only air at this time) when the carb became full (engine not running at this point). I had disconnected the fuel line from the sending unit and found it dry. I connected a rubber hose to the line and turn the key on, pump change tone and the engine started with no problem. On a closer examination of the fuel sending unit I notice the brass fitting didn't look right and didn't match the original mounting position on the line and the solder didn't look like it had bonded. I removed and leak check the sending unit and found it was leaking at the solder joint. I got my torch out and removed the brass fitting, then I found out it was barely on the line. I cleaned the inside of the brass fitting and the line. The I reassembled it making sure the brass had bottom out on the line and the solder (using acid core solder) was all the way around. I wash the sending unit inside and out with water then blow dry with compress air. Then I put it back in the truck and had no further problems with fuel delivery.
:rowdybeer::upyes:

:upyes:

James you trouble-shot the heck out of that problem! so I just need to get in there with a torch and see if the fitting is loose?

James April 18th, 2018 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 69049)
:upyes:

James you trouble-shot the heck out of that problem! so I just need to get in there with a torch and see if the fitting is loose?

Mine was not loose, just poorly assembled and not fully seated. Sorted like they bump it after solder and tried to put it back together before the solder solidify. This resulted is a tiny air gap in the connection. Be sure the sending unit is removed from the truck because the torch will make many pieces of you and your truck.:ahhhh: We need you to hang around for a very very long while.