6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Starting with a Great Pair of Burbs (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48639)

TDLyver February 6th, 2015 10:54 PM

Starting with a Great Pair of Burbs

Just got a pair of 1964 GMC Burbs. A black one is original owner with barn doors and a white with tailgate is missing some parts, but good enough to not just tear down for parts.
Does anyone have a schematic or blow-up diagram for these 305 V6's? I am in need of the water pump housing, but trying to locate part numbers (as I can see on here) and the parts is tough. Anyone have the parts list or engine part schematic?

Thanks. I will post my progress as is goes (like molasses).

Thanks in advance for the help.

David R Leifheit February 7th, 2015 12:49 AM

Re: Starting with a Great Pair of Burbs

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDLyver (Post 56875)
Just got a pair of 1964 GMC Burbs. A black one is original owner with barn doors and a white with tailgate is missing some parts, but good enough to not just tear down for parts.
Does anyone have a schematic or blow-up diagram for these 305 V6's? I am in need of the water pump housing, but trying to locate part numbers (as I can see on here) and the parts is tough. Anyone have the parts list or engine part schematic?

Define "water pump housing"
The front cover is one piece, it is the timing chain cover and the housing for the water pump. The waterpump itself is the typical "fan" shape on the end of the shaft, which goes through the cover/bearings.

If you need the entire housing, the timing cover piece and all, I might still have a spare around here (scrapped my broken engines a few years ago, saved some parts). If all you need is the waterpump... *if* you can find a decent parts store, one where the guys are willing to look for what you need, then you won't have much problem.

The manual you will need, actually two, the X-6223 and X-6423 Supplement.

I'll reiterate this again, in case someone has missed it... :)

I'm in Dallas, Oregon. Just outside of Salem. Need a part and aren't against pulling it yourself, and spending a bit of time chatting about the trucks, message me. My fleet isn't as big as it was, but I still have quite a few trucks and parts all over the place (have a 305 flywheel outside my office door, which my toes find every once in a while).
I am not in this to get rich, so any part I sell will certainly be for a fair price (ie. one we can agree on).
In the past I have mailed a few parts (the postman probably hates me) but I'm not as energetic as I was, and am more scatterbrained (in short, I forget to pull the part... sorry).

FetchMeAPepsi February 7th, 2015 02:44 PM

Pics?

TDLyver February 7th, 2015 07:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of pictures,

David, thanks for the reply. I know I need to get the shop manuals. I have created a long list of wants and needs, as I am sure all of the builders on here have.

The nice thing about having both of these is that I can look at one to see if its original or a change has been made.

The black one had a/c added by Montgomery Ward in 1971. The compressor is still there, but the fan motor and vents have since been removed.Attachment 2749

Attachment 2750

TDLyver February 7th, 2015 10:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A little more digging, and yes David its the timing gear and water pump housing. I am not sure if this one will run, but want to get the parts to see.

David R Leifheit February 8th, 2015 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDLyver (Post 56891)
A little more digging, and yes David its the timing gear and water pump housing. I am not sure if this one will run, but want to get the parts to see.

I'll have to look, but I may have just about everything you need for that. I *think* I kept all the loose parts off the engine I scrapped.

Might be a few days, I kind of don't want to be out in the rain looking for things. My back yard turns to swamp... or a lake... depending on the amount of rain. Parts are either in the small barn out back, in a trailer that may or may not be undercover, in any of the vehicles, or in any of the covers I have. 1.4 acres of land with a lot of little places to put stuff!!

You may have to remind me to look, or email me and pay a visit and "force" the issue... :)

David R Leifheit February 10th, 2015 07:03 PM

The last time I was in Vancouver looking at parts I get referred to:

All American Classics, Inc.
15209 NE Fourth Plain Road
Vancouver, WA 98682
360.254.8850 800.955.4999 FAX 360.253.5986
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30-5:00 Closed: Saturday & Sunday
http://www.allamericanclassics.com/

When I went there they had quite a number of 60-66 GMCs, there were a few suburbans there, all in various stages of "salvaged". When I went they let me wander around and take in the sights... :)

pasadenajim February 11th, 2015 12:36 PM

I have a very nice water pump housing for a 305 E that has been "vatted" and painted with Rustoleum Red Oxide primer. Contact me off line at jim@james-associates.com if you wish. Jim Hyde - Phx AZ

GMCDAC February 12th, 2015 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDLyver (Post 56875)

Welcome from the Black Hills! I have been hoping to fall into one of these fixer-upper Suburbans and you got two! It don't get any better than that!

These folks will point you in the right direction every time.

DAC

AZKen February 12th, 2015 06:12 AM

I looked at those New Mexico burbs for months, but the shipping was too much for me. The price really went down after awhile. Good buy.