6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Other Rides and Projects (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Cayoterun's new folly--GMC/Chevy bus (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48588)

Cayoterun January 14th, 2015 03:23 AM

Cayoterun's new folly--GMC/Chevy bus

2 Attachment(s)
An introduction of another possible project. A little off the beaten path, but this is an interesting old bus. I found it in a farmers junk at his estate sale. Being a lover of all old iron, it caught my attention and didn't want to see it go to the crusher. It at some time in it's past had been converted to a motorhome. The work looks as if it was done by professionals in it's usable life. It was hard to track down it's make and model as no title, data plates, serial#s, etc. could be found. It's built like a tank, about as heavy, and all bolt together construction.
It had a chevrolet name plate on the front grille at the sale, but had been removed by the time I picked it up the next day. The engine is missing, but all else seems in good restorable condition with minimum rust. All steel body.
With the help of others on a Chevy site I'm a member, it was determined to be built by Wayne bus bodies in Indiana.
It was designed by a Mr. Gemmer for Wayne Bodies in 1938. Design was called the "Full Forward Control Conversion". The bodies were designed to be used on multiple makes of running gears.
They even had "fender skirts"---both front and back.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Scroll down a good ways in the history pics to find this bus with history and details on the link. Interesting read.

I'm watching for a low mileage 70s Chevy/GMC farm grain truck to use the chassis and running gear under it to get the later model suspension. Use a V-8, 4sp/w2spd differential.-----No V-12 this time, darn-it!

I'll do my best to find a GMC truck and title it as a GMC.
Mods, if this is permissible here, I'll try to keep a build thread running if/when I get started on it.

Wish me Luck, as I'll need all I can get.

FetchMeAPepsi January 14th, 2015 03:32 AM

Re: Cayoterun's new folly--GMC/Chevy bus

SuhhhhWEET!

Coyote you never slow down, do ya buddy! That is a very cool old bus and with that history? All the better! I can't wait to see the swap.

Do you have more pics?

Cayoterun January 14th, 2015 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 56390)
SuhhhhWEET!

Coyote you never slow down, do ya buddy! That is a very cool old bus and with that history? All the better! I can't wait to see the swap.

Do you have more pics?

Hey, Fetch:
At my age, it's sure a folly for me to embark on another project this extensive, but it'll keep me pacified 'til I'm sentenced to the "rockin' chair" and soap operas.
Chime in with some input as we tackle this journey, and I'll post more pic now and then. Interior looks as bad as exterior, but can be used as patterns for rebuild.
When we get it running, you can take the Red Head, Powder Puff, and The Boy on a cross country journey.---deal?

FetchMeAPepsi January 14th, 2015 07:49 PM

Sounds like a plan to me! They'd get a kick out of it, especially the Powder Puff. She's my old iron girl lol.

I don't know what you're talking about with the rocking chair, George ;)

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

GMCDAC January 15th, 2015 03:20 AM

Great to hear from you and see your new project, Coyoterun! I'm not a mod here but this "other rides and projects" section sounds like the right place! I dig the old bus and am looking forward to seeing your direction with it!

DAC

abus319 January 15th, 2015 03:04 PM

Now that looks like a PROJECT... I wish I/we had a 70's truck to offer you but don't have anything that new. You can have the 60, 3000 chassis if you want it. The frame was sectioned at some point, but it has torsion suspension.
I don't think I will ever get around to restoring it and its just sitting around rusting.

Cayoterun January 15th, 2015 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abus319 (Post 56427)
Now that looks like a PROJECT... I wish I/we had a 70's truck to offer you but don't have anything that new. You can have the 60, 3000 chassis if you want it. The frame was sectioned at some point, but it has torsion suspension.
I don't think I will ever get around to restoring it and its just sitting around rusting.

I expected to have to stretch the frame on anything I might find. This bus body is 25' overall, and wheelbase of 192" (16'+-), unless I found something that long by chance. I've helped change wheelbases in the past, so could do it here in our shop.
Would the GVW on the 3000 be the same/near a C30 Chevy? I have a '78 C30 and it's GVW is about 10,000#. I need to weigh this and see what I need.

I'll shoot you a pm with more questions

abus319 January 16th, 2015 04:00 PM

OOOps, wrong truck,its a 3500 not a 3000. If I remember correctly it is around 15-16k I will check the data plate and measure the wheelbase this afternoon.

Cayoterun January 17th, 2015 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abus319 (Post 56451)
OOOps, wrong truck,its a 3500 not a 3000. If I remember correctly it is around 15-16k I will check the data plate and measure the wheelbase this afternoon.

Howard: The bottom of this bus is as flat as a pancake, from front to back. I went out to Aris Anderson's and he's got several different make junk trucks out there looking at the frames. From 1 tons up, the frames were flat on top over the rear axles and springs, but some had humps up over the front axles, too.

If your around the truck, would you mind looking under it, and see if the frame has the hump up over the front suspension, and a guesstimate how high. above the flat part from there back?

On the 1 tons, they had humps over both axles.
Thanks, Marvin

We had 50s temps, sunshine, and no wind today, so got out and enjoyed it.
Don't go to any trouble on this, as I don't know for sure, if I'll ever tackle this thing or not.

tommr January 17th, 2015 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Really neat piece. if rust isn't an issue you could consider just updating the existing chassis with a modern disc brake front axle and maybe even a disc brake dually rear. it would be neat to restablish the side windows even if you black them out or panel them over on the inside. there are a lot of RV conversions of our early Flxible bus with paneled over windows. it seems something is lost in the character when that is done. some side stainless would look great too. tom