6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Random stumble/ missfire (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49608)

Riktafer September 21st, 2016 09:29 PM

Random stumble/ missfire

Hi my 305 just started getting a missfire randomly any thoughts

AZKen September 21st, 2016 11:36 PM

Re: Random stumble/ missfire

Lots of thoughts. Too many to list. Can you describe misfire? Stumble? Not sure if it's a fuel stumble or ignition "misfire". When noticed? how often? backfire? Idling rough? only under load/acceleration/hills? Don't know your abilities or experience with motors. First thing is determine gas or electric. There are deeper issues also, valve timing et al. Please confess to anything recently done to motor or gas tank. Anything. Daily driver? Weekend driver? Been sitting long time?
You may be able to isolate a particular cylinder by pulling each plug wire off one at a time. If one does not change motor, that is the one that is missing....or check each plug to see that it is firing properly. Or without removing anything, you can use an inductive timing light on each plug wire to watch the light and see if it pulses at a constant rhythm or matches the misfire.

TJ's GMC September 22nd, 2016 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riktafer (Post 63709)
Hi my 305 just started getting a missfire randomly any thoughts

Just started running rough out of nowhere? Or doing it worse and now noticing it? Many factors at play here. Could you be more specific?

If it's a pop once in awhile it could be a lazy valve.

rsrose September 24th, 2016 02:22 AM

Az ken

Ken,

Thanks for all the advice a few days back. It WAS the gas cap!! Running great now. Please stay in touch.

Bob
rsrose@gmail.com

Riktafer September 24th, 2016 03:19 PM

Turns out it was points or condenser I changed both she runs like a champ again

TJ's GMC September 24th, 2016 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riktafer (Post 63742)
Turns out it was points or condenser I changed both she runs like a champ again

Cool! Always a good feeling when it's just something simple. For the future, Petronix makes an HEI kit for these dizzys. I have one and it makes it run that much smoother. Or you can go the USA route and get the one from HEIDIZZY on Ebay. Direct hei swap. $325 for it though. haha But a dern good setup. :ok:

FetchMeAPepsi September 25th, 2016 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 63744)
Cool! Always a good feeling when it's just something simple. For the future, Petronix makes an HEI kit for these dizzys. I have one and it makes it run that much smoother. Or you can go the USA route and get the one from HEIDIZZY on Ebay. Direct hei swap. $325 for it though. haha But a dern good setup. :ok:

TJ's right, you can get easier starts with an HEI setup, but you should know the rest though - in the event of SHTF situation your truck will be as worthless as all the other modern vehicles. You can probably swap back and get 'er running again in that situation if you keep the parts on a shelf, but you may not have time to pull out the wrenches if you're close to a big city.

bigblockv6 September 25th, 2016 05:27 PM

In the situation like that most chances an HEI will just get a burned out module, like myself I carry a spare module and it's easier than replacing a set of points:teehee:

TJ's GMC September 26th, 2016 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 63767)
In the situation like that most chances an HEI will just get a burned out module, like myself I carry a spare module and it's easier than replacing a set of points:teehee:

I've had the pertronix for 6 years and no problems yet...course...I said something now. :lolsmack2:

lizziemeister'sV6 September 26th, 2016 09:39 AM

Pretty neat you have been a GMC owner since u was 11 years old - seeing that you had Pertonix for 6 years - most 17 year old kids wouldn't know what a distributor with points or HEI was at that age. Keep on truckin' :ok: