6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What are the reasons we cannot rebuild the BB V-6 (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48782)

MHoyt1964 May 11th, 2015 02:14 PM

What are the reasons we cannot rebuild the BB V-6

Hi All,
just a general question.(the Title) I was under the assumption that over-sized rings and perhaps the pistons were the reason these engines do not get rebuilt. Now i understand rebuilding any engine costs money and sure one could have custom pistons built but for me that is not an option. The main reason I ask this question is that i recently noticed NAPA is offering ring sets varying from stock, to 3 different sizes of oversize ring sets.
Thanks
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.

TJ's GMC May 12th, 2015 03:58 PM

Re: What are the reasons we cannot rebuild the BB V-6

Rebuilding these engines isn't the issue..its getting parts. Rebuild Kits are no longer available so now you have to pick and pull parts pretty much. Plus the prices are going higher and higher because everyone seems to think a 350 is the only way to go instead of realizing what they have has plenty of potential. Kanter offers alot of parts and used to offer kits, but no longer offers kits because no one would buy them for the reasons above. Customs pistons can be made for sure and I'm sure you could have a cam company regrind your cam. NOS parts are needles in a hay stack but if you come across them snatch them up.

George Bongert May 12th, 2015 07:54 PM

Greetings All!

I agree with TJ that a lot of these guys (and gals too) don't realize the potential and the value of having and owning a Big Block V-6. These engines are becoming more rare every day, and all that can be done should be done to preserve those that are left. While the 350 V-8 is a well known and respected engine, they are a dime a dozen as far as I am concerned, and replacing a salvageable Big Block V-6 with a 350 only decreases the collectibilty value of these historic old trucks. For cryin out loud, if you can save your V-6, by all means do so. Don't ruin the value of your old truck by replacing that Big Block V-6 with a 350 V-8! It may be a bit expensive, but I can guarantee you it will all be woth it in the long run!

Ed Snyder May 13th, 2015 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Bongert (Post 57902)
Greetings All!

For cryin out loud, if you can save your V-6, by all means do so. Don't ruin the value of your old truck by replacing that Big Block V-6 with a 350 V-8! It may be a bit expensive, but I can guarantee you it will all be woth it in the long run!

I agree 100% with George that we need to save the V6s, and I suspect most of our forum members agree too. But I often wonder, when I read posts about rebuilding a V6, if that particular engine really does need rebuilding. With regular use, regular oil changes, no over-revving, and keeping debris away from open spark plug holes, there's no reason why a V6 can't last for at least a half million miles without needing an overhaul. As I've mentioned before, one of the members of my local Chevy/GMC truck club has about 600,000 miles on his 305E without a rebuild.