6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Correct GMC vs. Chevy Truck Wheels, 1960-66 (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48503)

1960HDGMC November 26th, 2014 10:34 PM

Correct GMC vs. Chevy Truck Wheels, 1960-66

6 Attachment(s)
Hello, I would like to know the applications of all the variants of the GM 6-Lug Wheels. They are Kelsey Hayes stamped steel disc type. We need good pictures of known original wheels to each of the trucks that used these type wheels, GMC and Chevrolet. Cameo Trucks may have slightly different wheels than standard trucks. Wheel size, year by year may vary. I have what I believe to be factory correct wheels on my 1960 GMC 1002 Custom WideSide pickup. I will post a picture of them also. The literature on the 1960 GMC that I have concerning wheels is also here. Please post similar info from other year models you have. We can get a pool of info that will be a source of good info. on these different wheels. Any insights greatly appreciated, Greg Mead

jbgroby November 28th, 2014 04:16 PM

Re: Correct GMC vs. Chevy Truck Wheels, 1960-66

Hi,

I can tell you that when the trucks first rolled out for us sales, the correct hub caps were the 1959 versions with the red painted gmc in the center. I have the very first gmc ad ( two-tone light blue and white with chrome trim) 2 page ad, it clearly shows those caps. You can buy them from LMC/ brothers etc.

Jake
LAcombe, la

GMCNUT November 28th, 2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 55710)
Hi,

I can tell you that when the trucks first rolled out for us sales, the correct hub caps were the 1959 versions with the red painted gmc in the center. I have the very first gmc ad ( two-tone light blue and white with chrome trim) 2 page ad, it clearly shows those caps. You can buy them from LMC/ brothers etc.

Jake
LAcombe, la

Jake, I know what ad you are talking about, but there are a lot of oddities in GMC ads and photos where they were making changes and adding or subtracting non-production parts. Production of the red centered caps ended in 1957 and the Blue ones started with the 1958 model year - there were never any 58's, 59's nor 1960 GMC ever produced off the assembly line with red centered caps.

Funky61 November 28th, 2014 07:19 PM

Courtesy of Arthur Throckmorton:
http://www.gmcguy.com/gmc_hubcaps_wh..._and_rims.html

and another discussion on wheels;
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=613031

1960HDGMC November 30th, 2014 04:09 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Finally found the comparison pics I took of the wheels, side by side. The black wheel is 1/2 inch wider. It is GMC from 1960. The wheel on right is Chevrolet from the era of 1960-66. These pictures show the differences in the two of the most commonly seen wheels on 1/2 ton GMC and Chevy trucks from 1960-62. The differences are subtle from 50 feet away. But up close they are very different. Note that the Chevy wheel has the "Nubbins" along the outside edge,perhaps to hold beauty rings or full wheel hubcaps. The GMC wheel does not have them. If someone knows the exact year model of the Chevy wheel, please let me know. Thanks for any help, Greg Mead

GMCNUT November 30th, 2014 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Aqua colored wheel is what most people would call a 55-59 wheel, but I have seen them on 1960 Apaches too. The Black wheel is the same as used on a 57-59 and is a re-shaped version of the one on the right, to accommodate the optional fluted deluxe model wheel trim rings commonly seen on Cameos. All the 1960-61 GMC's I ever saw had the 3 clip wheel pictured here instead of these Cameo type wheels, but anything could be correct depending on assembly plant.

1960HDGMC November 30th, 2014 09:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The wheel pic you just added. I see it has the little "Nubbins" near the outer rim. The inner profile is changed from the 1960 GMC wheel. What year and make is it? Was it used for multiple years? If it is 1961, then the first year 1960 GMC trucks had a one year only wheel. Would explain why they are seldom seen, by me anyway.
I am adding the 1960 GMC Paint Regulations and a Color Chart. They show the colors that the wheels were painted in 1960. They sort of matched them to the truck colors, sort of. Thanks, Greg Mead

1960HDGMC November 30th, 2014 09:51 PM

Just a thought, but maybe the early production of the new 1960 GMC trucks used up the remaining wheels. My truck is a very early production, like within the first 1500 produced in Pontiac. Maybe the famously thrifty company shipped new 1960 GMC trucks with two different wheel types. I have always thought the picture of the trucks ( on a trailer) at the top of this thread had to be early production. That would explain them having the earlier type wheels. It is just that I have not seen any literature with the newer wheel shown. But the art work was done early also. Does any one have a picture of a 1960 with either of these wheels, that is known to have its factory wheels? They sure would help iron these wheels out. Thanks, Greg Mead

GMCNUT December 1st, 2014 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 55741)
Just a thought, but maybe the early production of the new 1960 GMC trucks used up the remaining wheels. My truck is a very early production, like within the first 1500 produced in Pontiac. Maybe the famously thrifty company shipped new 1960 GMC trucks with two different wheel types. I have always thought the picture of the trucks ( on a trailer) at the top of this thread had to be early production. That would explain them having the earlier type wheels. It is just that I have not seen any literature with the newer wheel shown. But the art work was done early also. Does any one have a picture of a 1960 with either of these wheels, that is known to have its factory wheels? They sure would help iron these wheels out. Thanks, Greg Mead

The light Blue wheel is one of a full set I bought off an untouched but horrifically rotted 1960 GMC in Michigan. Only untouched 1960 GMC I ever found with all four on it, but I have another untouched 1960 GMC in the pasture and to be honest, I never even looked at the wheels to see what is on it, but will ride over and take pictures tomorrow. Josh is selling me his 1960 GMC and it has 3 of the 4 originals seems like and if I recall correctly, they are the same as my light blue example. My 1960 GMC Suburban came to me with 3 like the light blue one, and one like the aqua 55-57 wheel we discussed earlier. So far none I have stumbled on have had what I have started calling the "Cameo" type wheels. Incidentally, I need a set of 4 15" Cameo style wheels like your 60 has for my 58 Cameo, so please keep your eyes peeled. The Cameo came to me with all four of these same exact wheels you have on your 1960, but all four were pitted and too rotted to use unfortunately. I still have all 4 though

GMCNUT December 1st, 2014 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the front factory wheel on Josh Quillen's (soon to be mine) 1960 GMC - it is the same as the light blue example above. 3 clips like a 55-59 wheel, but not the same as the 55-57 or 57-59 variations of the Kelsey Hayes wheels. This one has been observed (by me) on several 1960-61 GMC's as being GMC specific and apprears to be 60-61 specific. Chevrolet did not use this wheel in 1960 which was the last year of clip type wheels for Chevy - in 1960 Chevy re-used the 55-57 type like the Aqua example above. 1961 Chevrolet trucks were the first year to get the new "nub" type wheels w/ no hubcap clips.

There is some evidence to suggest that 58-59 GMC's also used the wheel you see on Josh's truck - I have not successfully completed my research on that yet - if so, that would easily explain why we see them on 60-61 trucks - a carryover item for GMC so to speak.

AZKen December 11th, 2014 03:47 AM

What I can say is I believe what has so far been proven by Greg and other pics on the web is that the wheel with the flat surface at the center join and all around that level, is a 1960 and probably 1961 GMC specific wheel. "The potter wheel". This is his wheel with tire and the black/surface rust wheel.

1960HDGMC December 11th, 2014 04:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hello, I have gathered a few pictures for reference. The first two are a front and back view of a known original 1961 GMC 1001. The truck has a high production number, in the 17,000's. I have a hunch that the skinflint nature of 1960's GMC production involved using old stock wherever handy. I know they used the same hubcaps that go back to the 1950's ,just changed the paint scheme and color. You can find the red centered caps, and convert the paint to your 1960 GMC pattern. It is a job, but it can be done.
The third pic id of a 1958 GMC Suburban Pickup. It has the red cap and what appear to be factory rings? Question, do these rings need the four "nubbibs" to attach? Do they extend over the leading edge of the wheel, or did this owner chrome plate his wheels? Is this the "cameo wheel" that GMCNUT refers to? I am going to ad some pictures of two spare wheels I have. One is narrower and has nubbins. The other does not. But they are the exact same profile. This may be a breakthrough moment on this wheel deal. Has anyone else seen the TWO different wheel configurations featuring the same "Potters Wheel" profile?
The last wheel is on a factory 1960 Chevrolet 1/2 ton fleetside truck. I believe it is a Chevy only wheel. I think this because I have never seen them on an original GMC. They may have shared wheels across the brands, but I have no reason to think they did, as of now. I will take pictures today of the two Potters Wheel type wheels and post them when I can. Thanks for any input, Greg Mead

1960HDGMC December 11th, 2014 05:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hello, I have taken pictures of two wheels I have. I believe they are both GMC specific. One is oversprayed black, but is Green from the factory, We'll call that one the Green Wheel. The other is the Black Wheel. First pics are of the Black Wheel. I got pics of all the markings I could see. It has GM and NT on the front area behind the hubcap. Can anyone explain any of the text and markings? It does not have "Nubbins", it is a riveted wheel, not welded. The air hole is off-center right, just as the others on my truck. I believe all of these wheels have the air hole in this position. It is 5.5 inches bead to bead. Does anyone out there have these exact wheels,and if so, what are they on. I believe these are early production GMC form 1960 models. They would have been made in 1959 for fall production. They may be carry overs from earlier GMC models, but I think they are exclusively GMC. The profile in the center is what I call a "Potter Wheel" pattern. It looks as if a potter ran his finger along that area and made a flat seam about 1/2 inch wide, all the way around the middle of the wheel. I have a picture of my finger on this seam (on the Green Wheel) to illustrate where it is.
From all the pictures I have seen of both makes, I believe the 1960 Chevy trucks never used the Potters Wheels. They always seem to have the smooth center without the flat seam. I believe those can be safely considered to be exclusively 1960 Chevy truck Wheels. I also believe the 1960 GMC trucks ONLY featured Potters Wheels of one sort or the other. I believe they had two versions. The early ones like my truck has, and the later production ones which have the "squished in" looking center section. Each plant may have gotten the wheel types at different times. Or they may each have had only one wheel type. I think you will more likely find the Squished style wheels on later production trucks. The non squished Potterrs Wheels may have been carry overs, but I think the Squished type potters Wheels were designed to be THE 1960 GMC truck wheel. And these wheels were fazed in as the early style wheels were used up. Thanks for any thoughts or ideas, Greg Mead

1960HDGMC December 11th, 2014 05:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is the "Green Wheel" that feature the same profile. My finger shows the flat area common to both of these very different wheels. ( Imagine a potter spinning this wheel from clay, and running his finger along this part of the wheel as it spun on the potters wheel.) They have the same outer "Potters Wheel" profile ,but have a different inner(front to back) wheel profile, are 5 inches bead to bead, are welded, feature four outer "nubbins for trim rings, and the air hole is centered over the spoke area.
Did any 1960 or 1961 GMC pickups have optional rings? If so, I have never seen one. They would have required the "nubbins' to hold them on. I believe GMC used the wheels made without the "nubbins" for the early 1960 GMC trucks. They may be carry overs from 1959 trucks. I do not know. They do share the same profile with the nubbed and un-nubbed varieties. Very interesting. I think the Nubbed wheels are Cameo only, and the Un-Nubbed are for everything else. Except for the nubbins, from the outside viewpoint, they look identical. thanks for any insights, ideas, Greg Mead

AZKen December 11th, 2014 06:23 PM

"Squashed in" like the 58 Suburban Carrier? Like one of my pics on the other post? Like an accent ring around the cap.

1960HDGMC December 12th, 2014 12:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey AZKen, I will repost the pic here. It is one of GMCNuts wheels. It has what I describe as the "Squished In" center section profile. He believes this wheel is the 1960 GMC specific wheel. But I do not understand why it has the four little "nubbins". I swear I think this powder blue wheel is actually a Cameo Wheel. I never have seen a 1960 wheel with these nubbins, or for that matter, with the Rings that mount onto them. I have always only seen them on the Cameo and Suburban Pickups. GMCNut says he routinely finds these exact wheels on 1960 trucks. And I believe he does. But I also think they must be over runs from earlier production, or some scenario where they got sent to one plant. I always seem to see the wheels without nubbins and with the Potters Wheel flat area, and not the squished in pattern. This is just my experience. But I know GMCNut has decades more time in, and by default has seen a lot more wheels, both correct and otherwise, on these 1960 GMCs. GMC was known for there thrift, and I suspect they probably used two or even three different wheels from 1960 to 1961. Thanks for the input, Greg Mead

AZKen December 12th, 2014 12:47 AM

I have two wheels with the extra cap accent ring that you are calling GMC specific (squisher). They do have the nubs. If they are for trim rings or full cap, then they are for an optional trim or Suburban Carrier or for neither. We can not call them Cameo wheels if they are GMC specific. Be careful when saying "known wheel" when studying this for posterity. No wheel on any truck is known. Only factory photos, literature or decipherable markings on wheels are facts. I have seen that 60% of 1957 Chevy trucks have the fender spear on backwards. That's Barrett-Jackson $30K trucks built by so called experts. So we can't go by a restored truck.

1960HDGMC December 12th, 2014 02:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Point well taken. It is a long way down the line from 1960. The closest we can get are extant examples that are "supposed" to be correct and original. I just saw a wheel that looks to be correct factory 1960-61 GMC 1000 series, and it looks slightly different than all the examples we have amassed here so far.( I will post it here.) I wish we had more early pictures taken by owners that would show wheels that are "probably" original to there trucks. The only pic I have of early GMC 1960 trucks (taken by or for GMC) shows the Potter Wheels like my truck. But I am fairly certain that they are not the ones designed for the production of these year trucks. Forgive my lack of nomenclature. I meant Suburban when I said Cameo. Cameo is Chevrolet, and I think the equivalent GMC is known as the Suburban Carrier. I have seen it called Suburban Pickup also, but I do not know if this is also correct. Please let me know. Does anyone know if ALL Suburban Carrier wheels had the nubbins for the presumed mandatory rings that mount on them? Could you order a Suburban Carrier without the rings? It almost seems oxymoronic, but was it possible? My wheels look like Cameo or Suburban Carrier wheels to a friend of mine. But they lack the nubbins for the rings. I simply wonder if they could actually be Cameo or Suburban Carrier wheels without rings.

GMCNUT December 12th, 2014 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 55901)
I have two wheels with the extra cap accent ring that you are calling GMC specific (squisher). They do have the nubs. If they are for trim rings or full cap, then they are for an optional trim or Suburban Carrier or for neither. We can not call them Cameo wheels if they are GMC specific. Be careful when saying "known wheel" when studying this for posterity. No wheel on any truck is known. Only factory photos, literature or decipherable markings on wheels are facts. I have seen that 60% of 1957 Chevy trucks have the fender spear on backwards. That's Barrett-Jackson $30K trucks built by so called experts. So we can't go by a restored truck.

Not to hijack the thread and take off on a tangent, but Ken, the next time you see a pic of a 57 with it on backwards please forward to me - I love to watch for that kind of stuff and have never thought to save one when I saw that....

1960HDGMC December 12th, 2014 02:15 AM

AZKen, I forgot to ask. Do you know what the "Squisher" wheels you have came from? Also , Have you ever seen a "Squisher" wheel without the nubbins? I believe all "Squisher" wheels had nubbins. I think they are leftover Suburban Carrier wheels that got put on these 1960 trucks until they used them all. I have yet to find period literature that shows them on these 1960 GMC trucks. And I do not think rings were an option for 1960 GMC trucks. It stands to reason that they would not design a wheel specifically for 1960 GMC trucks with nubbins that have no rings available. Thanks for any insights/ ideas, Greg Mead

GMCNUT December 12th, 2014 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 55902)
Point well taken. It is a long way down the line from 1960. The closest we can get are extant examples that are "supposed" to be correct and original. I just saw a wheel that looks to be correct factory 1960-61 GMC 1000 series, and it looks slightly different than all the examples we have amassed here so far.( I will post it here.) I wish we had more early pictures taken by owners that would show wheels that are "probably" original to there trucks. The only pic I have of early GMC 1960 trucks (taken by or for GMC) shows the Potter Wheels like my truck. But I am fairly certain that they are not the ones designed for the production of these year trucks. Forgive my lack of nomenclature. I meant Suburban when I said Cameo. Cameo is Chevrolet, and I think the equivalent GMC is known as the Suburban Carrier. I have seen it called Suburban Pickup also, but I do not know if this is also correct. Please let me know. Does anyone know if ALL Suburban Carrier wheels had the nubbins for the presumed mandatory rings that mount on them? Could you order a Suburban Carrier without the rings? It almost seems oxymoronic, but was it possible? My wheels look like Cameo or Suburban Carrier wheels to a friend of mine. But they lack the nubbins for the rings. I simply wonder if they could actually be Cameo or Suburban Carrier wheels without rings.

This wheel with the white and blue hubcap looks to me to be the same as my light blue example wheel above. So back to Suburban Pickups - they never came with an accessory trim ring at all, so only Chevrolet Cameo's and other 57-59 trucks had them. Cameo's had the famous fluted trim rings as standard equipment, but they were available as an option on custom cab models in 57-59. The Chevy Cameo was called the "Cameo Carrier" so unfortunately the enthusiasts of today have spread the "Carrier" name over to the GMC Suburban Pickup and made it Suburban Carrier - totally incorrect, but 99% of people including magazine writers call it Suburban Carrier. I am changing this mis-information one person at a time

AZKen December 12th, 2014 03:05 AM

Good points. If you go onto the Stovebolt site under gallery TF 57, you will see many backward spears. Last time I checked anyway. The people over there are nice people and I am not saying anything except I saw some examples. The 57 is THE most confusing, I admit. Just remember, it's a spear and the pointed end goes forward on any spear.
The next thing I want to check, if possible, is what feature a Suburban Carrier or Cameo trim ring has on it to receive the nubs, if anything. It seems a little strange that there are only 4. I am not totally sure the nubs are for caps. probably are. Just a few years later approx. 68-69-70 and up , the Rally rings have multi spring clips all around. I don't know what my wheels were on. Either did the guy I bought them from. I got the split rims today, I am on some kind of wheel obsession mission? Can't stop. I need intervention but I can not get it here that's for sure.

AZKen December 12th, 2014 03:26 AM

Off subject 57 spear info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk_ZnYbFN08

Counted 16 on this page:
https://www.google.com/search?q=1957...ed%3B357%3B255

Wheel info:
GMCNut is correct:
According to Jim Carter the Chevy Cameo in it's four year run used Belair full wheel covers for 55 and 56, then used a ribbed trim ring in 57-58. The GMC Suburban pickup DID NOT use a trim ring in it's four year run, just a chrome cap. The wheel shown on the Suburban Pickup does have the extra squish ring feature. The Cameo wheels can not be seen in 55-56 (Full Cap), the 57-58 wheel does not have the squish ring. So if the squish is GMC and GMC had no rings and nubs are on squish rims; the nubs are non functional manufacturing features. (Clamping. indexing, forging)
Further, I have looked at 3 different Factory brochures for 1960 GMC. They are all artist renderings, not actual photos, so a little tricky. BUT: they show the potter wheel without the squish. So seems like the squish went away when Suburban Pickup went away and were probably used up in 59-60+ as replacement parts for 55-58 Suburban Pickups.

1960HDGMC December 12th, 2014 03:31 PM

AZKen, My brain is itchin too. I remember my dad always saying the old car and truck hubcaps and rings were easy to get off the vehicle, going down the road. My car was hit by an errant wheel cover and received over 500 bucks of paint damage. I think the spring doobers of the later wheel covers were an improvement over the earlier designs. The GMC dog dishes seem to stay put, because of the rather strong spring clips laid out in a triangulated pattern. But the trim rings were famous for flying off. I think it was because of the nubbins. They may have been there by design. Many wheels of the same ilk do not have them. These four little "Bumps" are not sufficient to keep the rings home long term. I think the designers realized, from customer feedback, that something had to change. Enter the spring doobers. All this and we havn't even discussed the wheel diameter options. Were there 16 inch versions of the 15 inch wheels. Were they different . It never ends.

AZKen December 13th, 2014 04:22 PM

Clarified my post to add the word TRIM. "So if the squish is GMC and GMC had no TRIM rings and nubs are on squish rims; the nubs are non functional manufacturing features."

GMCNUT December 14th, 2014 08:53 AM

So I went to Florence today and retrieved Josh Quillen's Factory Black 2 owner all original 1960 GMC (its finally mine!) and it came with the exact same wheels as the light blue one I show on page 2 of this thread. Interesting little known fact: all factory Black painted trucks from the early 50's through 1962 or so had "mint green" wheels (I think Aspen Green is actually maybe the correct color name). So these on Josh's truck were repainted white and black over the years, but you can see the mint green showing up where all the later resprays are coming off. So I know these are the original wheels to this particular 60 GMC, because that mint green paint is our smoking gun in this trucks' case. I did not think to record the VIN for this and other conversations so will retrieve that tomorrow along with some pictures

GMCNUT December 14th, 2014 04:38 PM

Check out this Ebay wheel auction eBay item number:271707813177. it shows the 6 clip version of the 50's wheels we've been discussing. 15's and 16's alike had this Cameo-style shape in 47-54 years and in 55 they went to 3 wide clips design instead of 6 skinny clips on these same otherwise 47-54 type wheels. If any 1960 GMC's ended up with these 47-59 type wheels it would have been an overrun I think but in 60 is when the design began to switch to what was going to be the later "nub" type wheels with no clips, which is why the Blue 60 GMC wheel on page 2 is almost identical in design to a 62-up later nub type wheel except for the clips.

AZKen December 14th, 2014 06:40 PM

The 58 Wheel in post 12 is dressed wrong. No rings for Suburban Carriers. That pic is misleading.

Also, I have been floating the idea that nubs on GMC's were not for rings because all the prevailing info says no rings on GMC. I have been calling the nubs tooling features. I think we have nubs on squisher and non squisher. Post 5 says GMC has no nubbins, yet we see nubbins on the light blue that we want to call a GMC wheel. This needs to be rectified. Why is the wheel in post 5 called a GMC wheel?
In this type of investigation we need to identify wheel features and not state what they are for yet. Once we all know the different subtleties of wheels of the era, we can try to find old period pics or literature (Chevy and GMC)showing the different features we have described, then decide. It is possible we never will know for sure. It is very hard to prove a certain wheel is for a certain truck because of so many variations, no good factory pics and use of left over stock by factory and various vendors making wheels for factory possibly. We are trying, this is the place to do it. All opinions welcome, all facts worshiped.
If you want me to back off and let this roll, no problem. But here is another: If black trucks had green wheels, lets get some literature. "Little known facts" does not a fact make.
If not, the whole thread will be another collection of old timer opinion, urban legend, what my Dad said and false facts.
The Hub Caps have been done extremely well by Mr. Jolly and Mr. Throckmorton.

1960HDGMC December 14th, 2014 06:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey GMCNut, I am glad you got the Black Phantom. If you get a tire off, please make a pic of the stampings if there are any. I saw the Ebay wheels. The green ones I saw are for sure what I am calling "Potters" Wheels. Are you suggesting that the Potter wheel design is also the Cameo design? I am inclined to believe that the Powder Blue Wheel with the Squisher profile looks like the Cameo wheel. The blue one (a 1959 GMC Suburban Pickup), with the ring that I added, has this same Squisher look. I do not know if that trucks wheels are correct or not. If they prove to be original, they would put the Squisher Wheels into production by 1959(probably late 1958). The white Ebay wheels look to have a double white pinstripe. I have seen this on trucks before, but I can not remember if it was Chevy or GMC. I would think the 6 small clips were earlier design, and 3 big clips were later, for both makes. If you can, please take a couple of pictures of a wheel on the new truck, with the hubcap off. One from straight on, and another taken so that the "Squisher" wheel profile is documented for that year GMC. I will post a pair taken of my wheels from similar angles, for examples. Thanks for the help, Greg Mead

GMCNUT December 14th, 2014 07:13 PM

So to first address Ken, if I count down to the 5th post you are referring to, its the one where I posted the light blue wheel, so if that is the right post you are referring to when you ask why that wheel is being referred to as a GMC wheel, all I can say is that I have no saved pictures and no discovered images anywhere on the internet nor any memories of seeing these specific wheels in my 20+ years of truck experience as being original equipment on any Chevrolet pickups in any model year. Does not mean they are GMC-specific in application, but certainly gives me reason to believe this to be the case, and am absolutely welcoming of anyone's challenging intel that can be dug up that might refute this hypothesis based on sheer observation. Currently, I have seen evidence to suggest that this same "squisher" style 3 clip wheel as seen in post #5 may have started with the "S" series trucks (58 & 59) and carried on to the "N" series in 60 & 61.

To address Greg, I already thought about that - all these wheels are date coded, so the ones on your 60 can be date checked to see if the wheels have a 1959 date on them or not, and same for these others which would need a 59 or later date as well. So the potter type wheels that are on your 60 started in 1947 with 6 clips, and were used throughout the 1950's - could be they were used on some 60-61 GMC's but I have not ever seen these in use on one I could positively ID to be original to the truck except your truck, so currently I am still of the opinion that the squisher style are the correct standard wheels for 60 & 61 and possibly 58 & 59 S series trucks too. The only pics I have seen of these squisher style non-potters wheel types on S series trucks have been 1959 specifically, so I am wondering if they are 59-61 more than 58-61. Just dont know yet. The potters wheel is what came from the factory on all 58 Cameos and I believe was also used on some 57's and 59 Apache's too. I have so far not seen any good evidence to suggest any 60-61 GMC's came with Potters wheel style wheels but certainly do not rule it out as a possibility.

GMCNUT December 14th, 2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 55659)
Hello, I would like to know the applications of all the variants of the GM 6-Lug Wheels. They are Kelsey Hayes stamped steel disc type. We need good pictures of known original wheels to each of the trucks that used these type wheels, GMC and Chevrolet. Cameo Trucks may have slightly different wheels than standard trucks. Wheel size, year by year may vary. I have what I believe to be factory correct wheels on my 1960 GMC 1002 Custom WideSide pickup. I will post a picture of them also. The literature on the 1960 GMC that I have concerning wheels is also here. Please post similar info from other year models you have. We can get a pool of info that will be a source of good info. on these different wheels. Any insights greatly appreciated, Greg Mead

Following my last post, I must say this black and white image you posted does indeed look like the potters type wheel mounted on those new 60 GMC's on that car carrier - so hard to tell with Black and white images too. Could be the squisher style too depending on how long you stare at it

AZKen December 14th, 2014 08:31 PM

All the posts have a white # number at the top right of each post. I am speaking of the one that is marked #5.

1960HDGMC December 14th, 2014 08:54 PM

I am glad to hear that there is a date code for these old wheels. I will certainly start inspecting and annotating these wheels going forward. The 1958 GMC wheel pic has a non-optional ring added. The wheel itself is ,to my eye, certainly a Squisher type. I must ask, the owner put rings on a Squisher type wheel. Must that wheel have the four Nubbins to hold his rings on? I ask because, I do not know if those are even close to the shape of the Chevy rings for that year. They could be the later Spring metal rimmed type rings, that will fit on a wheel without the four nubbins. Has anyone ever put a known Chevy ring on a non-nubbins type wheel just to see if the nubbins are really needed? The nubbins are positive on the outer side of wheel, and leave a negative space on the inner side. That tells me that the nubbins were pressed under very high pressure. Other wheels from the same era, assuming the same KH Manufacturer, lack the nubbins. This leads me to believe that they were added for the purpose of holding a ring or a full wheel cover. These are 15 inch wheels. I seem to remember cars from back then having 6 lug,15 inch wheel too. If so, it seems likely that they added the nubbins so one wheel make would cover a lot more bases. Full covers, no sweat. Dog dish trucks and plain cars, who would care if the nubbins were there or not? Just a thought. As for the correct 1960 wheels, I have been wearing blinder in my hunt for 1960 specific information. Does anyone have any ads or other literature/pictures that show the Squisher wheels, in art or pictures? I have to start looking for that stuff myself. I only have the one truck, a 1960. So by default that is the primary angle of all my research to date. I will have to broaden my scope a little. I have combed the net for years and have only recently found the one picture of a factory fresh load of GMC trucks. It has the Potter Wheel that my truck features. I can see no nubbins on it. It is no smoking gun. There is a chance that these wheels were there ahead of the ordered wheels. They may have used what they had on hand to get these early production models out for an early phot shoot. There are at least two images from this set of truckload pictures. I assume there are others out there, but I have not seen them to date. I know that at least the one truck had the Potters when it went outside on day one. I am reasonably confident that at least some others did as well. I just wish I could see some art or pics with the Squishers. I would feel even better that they were made for these trucks to be the quote factory wheels, unquote. Perhaps I will try to contact Kelsey-Hayes, if they are still around. Thanks, Greg Mead

AZKen December 14th, 2014 09:16 PM

I have seen trim rings or full caps of the era (I think) that have no spring clips. Which does seem to indicate something on the wheel provided capture. I just wonder why GMC would have a wheel with nubs and never use them. Does it point to the wheels that don't have them as genuine GMC? or are the nubs from the era of spring clip trim/caps? I see what you all are saying. Some JackA is going to say "yawn" here like they did to one of my posts. Took the time to type that? Awesome stupid.

1960HDGMC December 14th, 2014 09:33 PM

I am going cross reference huntin on these wheels. Probably a wild goose chase, but I love a good hunt. I will check back when I find something that might help the discussion along. Thanks guys for all the help, I am really learning a lot. Greg Mead

GMCNUT December 15th, 2014 12:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So Cameos and 1958-59 deluxe trucks could be equipped with optional trim rings and there were 5 per wheel - so with only 4 nubbins cast, I do not know for sure if they were used for clip attachment - see pic of the spring clips Cameo rings used. I have not got to the point where I needed to know how to mount the trim rings to say if the nubbins are required for this type clip style attachment hardware or not....will investigate and find out

AZKen December 15th, 2014 12:38 AM

Those don't look like they need no stinking nubbins..... or badges.

Andice December 15th, 2014 01:04 AM

I went to high school with Potter Nubbins......

AZKen December 15th, 2014 01:06 AM

The 1.3 original mile 1958 "Lambrecht Cameo" from the Lambrecht Dealer in Pierce, NE is the only Rosetta Stone Cameo I know of. If you remember that auction that was all over the news. This brand new Cameo, never driven ,was sold for $140,000. At least we have a 1958 Chevy Cameo wheel and Hub cap trim we can say is real. Whatever that's worth. We already know that 55-56 Cameo used Belair full caps.
Scroll down this link http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/tag/chevrolet-cameo/

HEY GMCNUT: see anything wrong with this fully restored 1957 Beige Cameo? http://www.eastwood.com/blog/tag/wes...ourth-edition/

1960HDGMC January 8th, 2015 01:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a 1960 or 1961 GMC with the Potter Wheels. It is supposed to be correct. I know they must have used the Squisher wheels, but I am yet to see them in a period picture. These Squisher wheels may have been made available at one or two plants. But there absence from any factory or early photographs leads one to believe they were not the wheel type that was marketed to the potential purchasers in 1960-61. I have only seen Potters Wheels in the early literature and period pictures. This does not prove they were the only wheel ,but it does lead me to believe they were the main style for these trucks. If anyone has early pictures of the Squisher wheels, please share them. Thanks, Greg Mead