6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   65 Build (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47763)

jturk December 8th, 2013 12:19 AM

Re: 65 Build

David,
I am going to go with buckets once I get that far. I will test fit this tranny and see where the shifter ends up. Since it was basically free if it doesn't fit I'll go another route Then I'll just sell it and get another trinket for the truck.

jturk December 8th, 2013 12:25 AM

David,
Since the tranny was basically free I decided to give it a try and see how everything works out. If good OK if bad I'll just sell it and get something else. You know how it is the price was right so we'll see what happens.

jturk December 9th, 2013 08:56 PM

Update on tranny. I measured the tranny and compared it to a muncie M20 that I've got in the garage. The distance from the bell housing flange to the middle of the shifter the muncie is 26.5", the Aisin is 25.5". My friend has a muncie in his truck and the shifter looks real good with the bench seat. That makes me believe that the 5 speed will work out equally well. I guess I'll find out for sure when I fab everything up.

jturk March 30th, 2014 07:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hey Everyone,
Well winter has finally released its grip(well a little) so I've finally been able to get some work done on the 65. During the winter I got an engine, trans adapter, bell housing, and motor mounts. Listed are the highlights of each step of the build:
1) The engine is a 5.3 truck out of a 2005 Tahoe with only 55K miles. I got it at
LKQ with all of the accessories, wiring harness, and computer. It's really clean
and ready to go.
2) The rans adapter came from Novak Adapters and adapted the 2009 Colorado
tranny to a stock GM 621 aluminum bellhousing. This adapter is machined
from aluminum and it fit perfectly and was really simple to install. Also the
installation instructions were very good.
3) The motor mounts that I used are the ones by Dirty Dingo. They look really
good and fit like a glove. What I really liked about them is the fact that they
can be adjusted both forward and rearward to line everything up with the
engine and tranny.

I've posted some pictures so let me know what you think. Next step is to remove the cab and install my under bed fuel tank, drive shaft, brake lines, and fuel lines.
I'll update once I get a little further along.

Thanks for looking guys,
JTurk

FetchMeAPepsi March 31st, 2014 04:25 AM

Where's your 305V6? Did it die or you just wanted a tahoe engine?

jturk March 31st, 2014 05:09 AM

Hey Pepsi,
Just decided that I wanted better power, better fuel economy, and better overall drivability and the 5.3 provides all of that. Made my choice once I thought long and hard about what I needed and wanted. Also since I've put a lot of non- stock parts and personal touches on the truck. also it was just a decision on what I'm going to do with the truck. I'm happy with my decision and I guess as long as I'm happy with it everything is good. I appreciate your comments and thanks for looking.

jturk

aphaynes March 31st, 2014 01:33 PM

Looks cool.
Bare with someone who does not know very much :oops:
What rear end are you having to mate this to?

jturk March 31st, 2014 05:47 PM

Aphaynes,
Thanks for the compliment, I don't worry to much about a lot of experience, after all we all started learning sometime. The rear end in the truck is the stock Dana 44 with a positraction and axles re-drilled for 5x5 bolt circle to match the front wheels. Looked at your profile, what type of engineer are you? I'm a retired Electrical engineer. Just curious.

aphaynes March 31st, 2014 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jturk (Post 52725)
Aphaynes,
Thanks for the compliment, I don't worry to much about a lot of experience, after all we all started learning sometime. The rear end in the truck is the stock Dana 44 with a positraction and axles re-drilled for 5x5 bolt circle to match the front wheels. Looked at your profile, what type of engineer are you? I'm a retired Electrical engineer. Just curious.

I am as well. Though it seems I work mostly with software than actual circuits these days :) Though I don't plan to be doing that much longer, but that is a story for somewhere other than this forum ;)

Thanks for filling me in! Didn't realize you had changed the front. I need to read your thread one more time and see what all I missed. :ahhhh:

nathankershaw May 27th, 2014 03:36 AM

Awesome swap. Well done!

I'm pulling the 305 V6 and 2 spd as we speak to hopefully get a 350 with 700R4.