6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   305 V-6 engine oil (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51283)

MoscowMule January 26th, 2022 12:50 AM

305 V-6 engine oil

Hello I'm new to this group.My wife and I just purchased a 1965 GMC C-15 with the 305E V-6 in it.We are going to restore it.We want to keep this motor in it.I'm curious what kind of oil everyone is running in there 305's ? What is the oil canister filter number you running? Thanks I advance.

Ed Snyder January 26th, 2022 01:15 AM

Re: 305 V-6 engine oil

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscowMule (Post 75122)
Hello I'm new to this group.My wife and I just purchased a 1965 GMC C-15 with the 305E V-6 in it.We are going to restore it.We want to keep this motor in it.I'm curious what kind of oil everyone is running in there 305's ? What is the oil canister filter number you running? Thanks I advance.

Congratulations on your purchase, MM! If you treat it right, it should outlast you. These engines are capable of going over a half million miles with the right preventative maintenance. Oil changes are number one. Regarding what kind of oil, you'll get a variety of answers since everyone has their favorite. I've always used Amsoil 10W-40 synthetic oil.

My trucks use the spin-on filters, and I don't remember what the cartridge filter number is any more. I'm sure someone on the forum here can help with that though. By the way, C-15 (C-20 in your ID) is a Chevy type of model number. If your truck is a half ton, you have a model 1000. If it's a three quarter ton, you have a 1500.

We're looking forward to learning more about your truck, and seeing some photos of it.

LEWISMATKIN January 26th, 2022 01:24 AM

The napa p/n for the 1 qt filter is 1121. And as long as you are happy with the brand of oil you like to use, just make sure the oil has plenty of zddp in it. Modern oils don't have enough to protect the camshaft & lifters.

MoscowMule January 26th, 2022 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 75123)
Congratulations on your purchase, MM! If you treat it right, it should outlast you. These engines are capable of going over a half million miles with the right preventative maintenance. Oil changes are number one. Regarding what kind of oil, you'll get a variety of answers since everyone has their favorite. I've always used Amsoil 10W-40 synthetic oil.

My trucks use the spin-on filters, and I don't remember what the cartridge filter number is any more. I'm sure someone on the forum here can help with that though. By the way, C-15 (C-20 in your ID) is a Chevy type of model number. If your truck is a half ton, you have a model 1000. If it's a three quarter ton, you have a 1500.

We're looking forward to learning more about your truck, and seeing some photos of it.

Sorry never owned this year truck before.The guy we purchased it from had it listed as a C-20.After I ran the Vin. it said C-15. It is a 3/4 ton.I'm a firm believer in keeping up on oil changes so I hope it holds up.Once I figure out how to post pics I well share .Thanks

MoscowMule January 26th, 2022 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 75123)

I edit my description and added a few pics. She runs good and the body is solid.We have some dents to bang out. Also have a few patch panels to replace in the front lower front fenders and replace the roof skin..

AZKen January 26th, 2022 03:33 AM

Use our VIN decoder page. Go to "jolly's......page" at top left. Click on "VIN Numbers" in the colored menu. Scroll down and read. As said "C" means Chevrolet. If the decoder you used said C-15, it's a Chevy decider or a bad decoder. We have the official.:rowdybeer:

you will have a 1502xxxxxxx............if you don't, better let us know what it is.

Ed Snyder January 26th, 2022 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEWISMATKIN (Post 75124)
The napa p/n for the 1 qt filter is 1121. And as long as you are happy with the brand of oil you like to use, just make sure the oil has plenty of zddp in it. Modern oils don't have enough to protect the camshaft & lifters.

Lewis is correct -- you definitely need to use a high ZDDP oil. That's why I like https://www.amsoil.com/p/z-rod-10w-4...motor-oil-zrd/.

Note that it says "High-zinc formula protects flat-tappet cams, lifters, rockers & other critical components".

BobBray January 26th, 2022 06:16 AM

I use Valvoline VR1 10W-30. Amsoil is good too. The Zinc/ZDDP additive is more critical in an engine with new flat-tappet cam and lifters, but why take a chance in an engine with a lot of miles on it?

MoscowMule January 26th, 2022 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 75127)
Use our VIN decoder page. Go to "jolly's......page" at top left. Click on "VIN Numbers" in the colored menu. Scroll down and read. As said "C" means Chevrolet. If the decoder you used said C-15, it's a Chevy decider or a bad decoder. We have the official.:rowdybeer:

you will have a 1502xxxxxxx............if you don't, better let us know what it is.

Okay sorry I've only owned old Chevys before .I knew the C 's were 2 wheel drive and K's were 4 wheel drive.It is a 1500 GMC .There is no C before it.Thank you for clarifying.

jbgroby January 26th, 2022 11:38 AM

I'm using Shell Rotella T1 Straight Grade SAE 30.