6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Transmissions and Rear Ends (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What automatic will mate to a V-6 (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50636)

jbgroby May 31st, 2019 03:05 PM

What automatic will mate to a V-6

Hi all,

Based on some prices I’m getting for rebuild the Hydramatic, it seems logical to upgrade to a newer trans. I have the adaptor plate so i need to see which trans will mate to a 305v-6.

Has any club member done this before? Give me some pointers on things I need to lookout for.

Thanks
Jake

Funky61 May 31st, 2019 07:38 PM

Re: What automatic will mate to a V-6

The Turbo 400 was also offered behind the V6 or are you wanting Overdrive as well like the 700R4?

jbgroby June 1st, 2019 12:34 AM

At this poi t I'll take what I can get, if a turbo400 with OD will work,it makes sense to get that.

Funky61 June 1st, 2019 02:53 AM

The Turbo 400 is not an overdrive transmission. I've yet to find anyone who has put another type of automatic with overdrive behind the V6( not that it can't be done). I have a Manual behind mine.

Over on the other Board (and he might even be on this one here as well);
AT Rockdriller put a 351E with a turbo 400 into his truck. His is a 4x4 but he made it work so I'd think a 2wd would be easier.

Here's a link to his build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=453161

bigblockv6 June 1st, 2019 03:14 AM

Roughly about 14-15 years ago there was a member on Jolly's site that completely restored a White 68 GMC K2500 series with a 305E. His name was Jake and advertised himself as Jakes General Store, well Jake converted his truck from a 4 speed manual to a 700R4 automatic overdrive. As it's been discussed before is "Bendtsens" makes the adapter for the GMC V6, www.transmissionadapters.com.

Ed Snyder June 1st, 2019 07:31 AM

[QUOTE=Funky61;71094]Over on the other Board (and he might even be on this one here as well);
AT Rockdriller put a 351E with a turbo 400 into his truck. His is a 4x4 but he made it work so I'd think a 2wd would be easier.

Here's a link to his build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=453161

Rockdriller was definitely a member of our forum at one time, Henry, but I'm not sure if he is any longer. When I first read his "history" of his '63 K1000 back when he wrote it in 2011 I had to write to him to tell him that (through no fault of his own) the story was totally bogus. The reason I know that is because the former owner of Rockdriller's K1000 lived about 200' down the road from me. I was actually thinking of buying it myself at the time.
I don't remember all the details any more, but my neighbor said he bought the truck from the original owner who was an electrical contractor in Southern California. The contractor had owned a fleet of similar trucks which he had sold off upon retirement. This particular truck must have been his favorite because it was the last one he sold. My neighbor brought it up to Oregon, kept it for several years, then sold it to the "creative" guy Rockdriller bought it from.

lizziemeister'sV6 June 1st, 2019 05:41 PM

You can mate either an aluminum Powerglide or Turbo 400 to your V6 - either was offered as a factory option in the mid-sixies. You will need the cast adapter housing that bolts to the engine block and then the proper flywheel/flex plate/torque convertor of the transmission you choose to use - again either the Powerglide or Turbo 400. My 1965 Surburan with a 351M has a powerglide behind it - I'm happy with the Powerglide do to the simplicity of the linkage and the amount of abuse they will take. To be honest, if you could get an adapter custom made for a newer transmission with overdrive that would be way better than the old school transmission mentioned - but the linkages and stand alone computer connection may be a nightmare. :thumbsup:

bigblockv6 June 1st, 2019 07:41 PM

There is the non electronic 700R4 or also known as 4L60 automatic 4 speed overdrive.

jbgroby June 11th, 2019 05:51 PM

OK - Update, in speaking with other 305 V-6 experts (Ed Snyder, Pete Chronis and Steve McDonald), I discovered that I HAVE to change the transmission adaptor plate setup. On Sunday I lucked out and won a bid for the correct adaptor needed, new ones run $1300 at Bendtsens Transmission. Saved some Moolah.

I'm now in the hunt for a (Turbo-Hydramatic) TH400. New ones run about $1300 or so. I'll probably go that route, BUT I need to do some research on who builds good Transmissions.

There are many sellers and the prices run the gambit from $1300 - $2700. Not trying to be cheap but a penny saved is a penny earned.

Ya'll have any recommendations?

Ed Snyder June 11th, 2019 10:37 PM

Jake -- If you haven't already, you might check some of your local automatic transmission shops. If you brought in an inexpensive TH400 from a wrecking yard, they might inspect it for a nominal fee and let you know if it needs rebuilding or not. Having them rebuild one could be less than $1300 too.