6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Bonded brake shoe failure- options (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50997)

cbeeker November 22nd, 2020 01:39 PM

Bonded brake shoe failure- options

2 Attachment(s)
Prepared 64 GMC 3/4 ton with Pullman Camper for road trip to camp and scuba north Florida caverns. Made it 450 miles until having to slam on brakes to avoid car pulling out in front of me. Front brake shoe bonds broke leaving with few options as my heavy duty front shoes not locally available. So, removed shoes, and clamped vice grips on front rubber brake line, to enable three brakes to operate. Managed to drive 450 miles home but really not able to adequately stop.

So, now reviewing forum for all options to improve braking system.
First it seems obvious to add new dual master cylinder and appropriate lines front and rear. Although working, figure new shoes and wheel cylinders all around. Since I have heavy duty brakes not sure adding booster necessary.

Opinions very welcome.
Recommended dual master for 3/4 ton?
Wheel cylinders for 3/4 ton?
Brake shoes bonded or rivets?
Booster or no booster

Charlie

BillT November 22nd, 2020 05:35 PM

Re: Bonded brake shoe failure- options

I've never had that happen with bonded, but that said, I always preferred Riveted Shoes.

Just like they way they look on there. The only negative is to not let them get too low before changing them out.

As far as a Booster goes, I've never felt the need for one. On some trucks, I hated them.

Nice looking truck, by the way.

Funky61 November 22nd, 2020 05:36 PM

Wow Cheeker, that sounds like quite the adventure! Glad that you are ok and made it home safely. Your "remedy" was quick genius for the situation. :welldone:

My thoughts are:
Dual Master-Yes
Riveted drums-Yes
wheel cylinders and brake hoses-Yes

After that, see how it performs and decide if you wish to add the booster.

I did the upgrade to dual master, wheel cylinders and Booster. It is sensitive or touchy, but I have not drilled the one inch lower hole yet. I have the drums all around and it stops nicely.

cbeeker November 22nd, 2020 06:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillT (Post 73356)
I've never had that happen with bonded, but that said, I always preferred Riveted Shoes.

Just like they way they look on there. The only negative is to not let them get too low before changing them out.

As far as a Booster goes, I've never felt the need for one. On some trucks, I hated them.

Nice looking truck, by the way.

My family GMC 1955 1st edition but not really a driver, but in family since 1970. Bought the 64 at Barrett Jackson in Reno in 2016 and added the 64 Pullman Camper as wanted something for special road trips.