6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Transmissions and Rear Ends (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Converting from 318 to 326.. (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51012)

RedElvis December 9th, 2020 02:40 PM

Converting from 318 to 326..

Yep, I have a SM318/9 long shaft in my '66 GMC 1000 that is popping out of 3 gear under load.. In the shed I have a 326 Muncie from a '69 Chevy truck that was behind a 350.. Got the trans and driveshaft w/yoke from the guy who said it was working great, just wanted a 4 speed. I've been told I'll need is the rods that will connect it to the column as the ones with the 318/9 are too short.. I know you fellas convert these to floor shift or remove them to put in better 4 speed transmissions but I just want to leave mine on the column.. Anybody have some rods and hardware that will work for me? I'll certainly pay something for them and the S&H to Charlotte NC 28216.. Also, I've read that I'll need a smaller bearing retainer from a car transmission.. Will the retainer from a 4 speed Muncie or 330 Muncie due in this case?

FetchMeAPepsi December 9th, 2020 04:49 PM

Re: Converting from 318 to 326..

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedElvis (Post 73450)
Yep, I have a SM318/9 long shaft in my '66 GMC 1000 that is popping out of 3 gear under load.. In the shed I have a 326 Muncie from a '69 Chevy truck that was behind a 350.. Got the trans and driveshaft w/yoke from the guy who said it was working great, just wanted a 4 speed. I've been told I'll need is the rods that will connect it to the column as the ones with the 318/9 are too short.. I know you fellas convert these to floor shift or remove them to put in better 4 speed transmissions but I just want to leave mine on the column.. Anybody have some rods and hardware that will work for me? I'll certainly pay something for them and the S&H to Charlotte NC 28216.. Also, I've read that I'll need a smaller bearing retainer from a car transmission.. Will the retainer from a 4 speed Muncie or 330 Muncie due in this case?

Buying rods youd have more luck in the Marketplace section. Have you done a teeth count etc to make sure it'll fit?

RedElvis December 10th, 2020 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 73451)
Buying rods youd have more luck in the Marketplace section. Have you done a teeth count etc to make sure it'll fit?

Teeth meaning spline count on the input shaft or output shaft?

LEWISMATKIN December 11th, 2020 01:57 AM

when i did my first conversion, it was a have to. the most daunting thing is that you will have to reduce the o/d of the front main drive retainer. i did mine on a bench grinder and took off just enough for the retainer to go in the pilot hole in the bell housing. and a sm-326 is a Saginaw, not a muncie.

RedElvis December 11th, 2020 02:22 PM

Re: Converting from 318 to (edit) 330..

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LEWISMATKIN (Post 73467)
when i did my first conversion, it was a have to. the most daunting thing is that you will have to reduce the o/d of the front main drive retainer. i did mine on a bench grinder and took off just enough for the retainer to go in the pilot hole in the bell housing. and a sm-326 is a Saginaw, not a muncie.

Thanks for the input.. More proof I don't know what I'm doing and need some help here... LOL.. Anyway, I looked further in to what I actually have and it turns out it's a Muncie 330, which came out of a '69 Chevy Longhorn truck that had a 4 bolt main 350.. I also got the (5505) bell housing, clutch fork, throw out bearing and driveshaft that day.. I'm hoping it will all bolt right up to my 250 L6.. Still need those shifter rods from a column shift truck though. Don't want to cut a hole in the floor.

George Bongert December 12th, 2020 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedElvis (Post 73469)
Thanks for the input.. More proof I don't know what I'm doing and need some help here... LOL.. Anyway, I looked further in to what I actually have and it turns out it's a Muncie 330, which came out of a '69 Chevy Longhorn truck that had a 4 bolt main 350.. I also got the (5505) bell housing, clutch fork, throw out bearing and driveshaft that day.. I'm hoping it will all bolt right up to my 250 L6.. Still need those shifter rods from a column shift truck though. Don't want to cut a hole in the floor.

Greetings, Red Elvis!

You are in luck. That V-8 Bell Housing will bolt up to your 250 L6. The clutch should bolt up as well unless the V-8 had a larger diameter clutch assembly. Most were equipped with a 10" clutch assembly. Larger clutches were used in heavy duty applications.

RedElvis December 13th, 2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Bongert (Post 73470)
Greetings, Red Elvis!

You are in luck. That V-8 Bell Housing will bolt up to your 250 L6. The clutch should bolt up as well unless the V-8 had a larger diameter clutch assembly. Most were equipped with a 10" clutch assembly. Larger clutches were used in heavy duty applications.

That is great news! I am going to be thrilled not to hear the grind downshifting into first when I 'right on red' and 'roll in reverse.' Anyone know if the trans mount lands in the same holes?